Thread: Firewall does not seem to be working...

lsuaz Guest

Default Firewall does not seem to be working...

Hi,
    Need some advise and help, probably both...
    I recently purchased a new lap top with vista home premium, since my year subscription was up in a few weeks I purchased a new copy of 2008 ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.1.248.000TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:954506576
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4195
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    before I installed any 3rd party programs (if I am describing this right), I uninstalled Norton using the control panel program uninstall.
    I then installed my Verizon VZAccess Manager program, then installed ZA.
    Everything seemed fine or I though it did, after registering and updating ZA I visited Gibson researches site to down load his free leak test.
    After running the leak test
    the program
    told me my firewall failed (this never happened on my previous computer running XP).
    I then opened ZA and my firewall was not stopping anything.
    When I turned on Windows firewall, leak test could not get out, but then I was not able to connect to any web sites.
    So I guess I am running wide open at the moment.
    Can someone help?
    Am I leaving any info that you may need to figure out my problem.
    I downloaded the newer version of ZA Internet Secutity but have not tryed to install it till I hear from someone as I don't want to further any install problems.
    Thanking you in advance, I did do a search and the threads that I read just confused me more then I am now.
    LSU

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Firewall does not seem to be working...

There is a special removal tool on the Norton website to completely remove all traces after doing a normal uninstall. I know it exists for XP, make sure it works for Vista before downloading. I would recommend uninstalling ZA before running the Norton tool. Simply uncheck Overview > Preferences > Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup, reboot, then run the uninstaller from the Start menu (or the Vista equivalent). Now run the Norton tool, reboot, and then reinstall ZoneAlarm. If not completely uninstalled, Norton is known to cause problems with ZoneAlarm.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>lsuaz wrote:
    Hi,Need some advise and help, probably both...I recently purchased a new lap top with vista home premium, since my year subscription was up in a few weeks I purchased a new copy of 2008 ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.1.248.000TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843before I installed any 3rd party programs (if I am describing this right), I uninstalled Norton using the control panel program uninstall. I then installed my Verizon VZAccess Manager program, then installed ZA.Everything seemed fine or I though it did, after registering and updating ZA I visited Gibson researches site to down load his free leak test. After running the leak testthe programtold me my firewall failed (this never happened on my previous computer running XP). I then opened ZA and my firewall was not stopping anything. When I turned on Windows firewall, leak test could not get out, but then I was not able to connect to any web sites. So I guess I am running wide open at the moment.Can someone help? Am I leaving any info that you may need to figure out my problem. I downloaded the newer version of ZA Internet Secutity but have not tryed to install it till I hear from someone as I don't want to further any install problems.Thanking you in advance, I did do a search and the threads that I read just confused me more then I am now.LSU

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I Agree with the Good advice by "HammerNU"..Here is another Forum Link on installing ZASS for Vista..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154and if you need to re-download the latest ZASS for Vista, here is the Direct Download Link..7.1 Branch

7.1.254.000 was released to the public on April 22, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

Please post back with your Progress Report..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:7.4.006.000 (Beta)
    TrueVector version:7.4.006.000
    Driver version:7.4.006.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:954550133
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3745
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000

TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lsuaz Guest

George V,
    Thanks for your reply, I downloaded ZA 7.1.254.
    I uninstalled the version I purchased, restarted then made sure windows firewall was turned of.
    I ran the install for ZA 7.1.254 then restarted after which I made sure Windows firewall was off.
    I connected to the internet, ran GRC leak test and
    leak test
    connected to GRC.
    The firewall is still not working.

I then turned Win firewall on, ran GRC's leak test and leak test was prevented form connecting.
    The problem after when I tryed using my browser to connect ot the internet no dise.
    I feel I should have purchased an computer that had XP installed instead of Vista.
    I never had this type of problem with ZA when running XP and felt confident when connected to the net, when ever I ran GRC's leak test ZA always prvented it for connecting.
    I wanted to respond before trying anything else.
    Lance

lsuaz Guest

In addition I did uncheck that prevents ZA form starting after rebooting before I uninstalled ZA.
    I already used the control panel to uninstall Norton so I don't know which version came with my Vista, how can I find this out before dowloading Norton's uninstall program?
    Toshiba or any computer manu. should not allow Norton or McCaffee to install their product with the OS and should let the purchaser choose/purchase what they want installed.
    Thank you again for your help with my problem....
    Lance

lsuaz Guest

I did searches using Vista/Firewall and I really am feeling disouraged.
    I hope I didn't waste $50.00...

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>HammerNU wrote:
    There is a special removal tool on the Norton website to completely remove all traces after doing a normal uninstall. I know it exists for XP, make sure it works for Vista before downloading. I would recommend uninstalling ZA before running the Norton tool. Simply uncheck Overview &gt; Preferences &gt; Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup, reboot, then run the uninstaller from the Start menu (or the Vista equivalent). Now run the Norton tool, reboot, and then reinstall ZoneAlarm. If not completely uninstalled, Norton is known to cause problems with ZoneAlarm.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for the Feedback.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1yahoo.gifI'm Sorry your having problems with ZA For Vista, but it looks like you got in a Hurry and did not read HammerNU's message Close Enought..Uninstalling Norton or McAfee, is not Good Enough, as they leave dozens of traces that will Corrupt or Prevent your ZoneAlarm install.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...V2/th_1Bam.gif
    ******** Important Notice ******** http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gifIfyou have already installedAny Version of ZoneAlarm, there are several things you need to do, after you have removed all traces of Norton and Symantec with the (Norton Removal Tool) , before you install your New ZAFree, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite 7.0.473.000 or ZoneAlarm7.1.254.000 for Vista************************************************** ************when you use ADD/Remove to Remove any of Symantec Norton utilities, especially their Norton Anti-Virus program or Security Suite.they still leave lots of traces behind after the "UNINSTALL"Fortunately SYMANTEC has a Fix for this problem on the Symantec web site called "NORTON REMOVAL TOOL" that does a better job of REMOVING ALL traces of Norton Symantec files..here is the Link to the Symantec Norton Removal Tool..http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hmHere is the Link to McAfee Removal Tool..http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Con...ool_d5420.htmlhttp://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...64&amp;lc=1033<H5>Affected Operating Systems: </H5><UL><LI>Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Home <LI>Microsoft Windows Vista </LI>[/list]

NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.1.) I recommend downloading a FREETrash Cleaner called ccleaner.exe from www.ccleaner.com and install it and run it with the default setting
    to clean out all junk from your Cashe, Temp Files and Recycle bin, even a good Registry cleaner.. Here is an alternate Site for a Slim version of ccleaner without the Yahoo Tool-bar.. http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...bar_d4191.html2.) Now go into ZA Menu by double clicking on the ZA Tray icon and click on Overview, click on Preferences
    and Uncheck "Load ZA**** on Startup", then Reboot your computer.. this will remove TrueVector,vsmon.exe and other ZA drivers from memory, so that they will not conflict with the install of the New ZAFree, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite, and also the major reason for TrueVector Errors on new installs..The other major cause of Install failure and True Vector errors is Conflict with 3rd party Security programs running during ZA install, like Webroot Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, Bit Defender Conflicts because it has many of the features of ZASS..3.) As a General Rule to avoid Conflict you should Only run one Firewall and one Anti-Virus on the same computer..
    You can run Multiple Anti-Spyware programs, as long as the Anti-Spyware does not include some firewall or Anti-Virus Function to Conflict with ZA..as far as the WindowsXP firewall, ZA by default on install will turn OFF the Windows one way Firewall..Don't worry if Windows Security Center pops up a warning that it does not recognize ZA Firewall..
    There is a fix for that Cosmetic flaw in windows..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:7.4.006.000 (Beta)
    TrueVector version:7.4.006.000
    Driver version:7.4.006.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3745
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

lsuaz Guest

George V,
    I did the uninstall (Norton) when I brought the computer home (didn't know about the Norton uninstall program).
    I visited the Norton site, if I read the tutorial right it asked what version of Nortons that was installed.
    Is there a way I can find out which version it was that was installed?
    LUeno

lsuaz Guest

Well here is what I have done this evening;

1. Downloaded Norton s uninstall program

2. Checked that WinFirewall was turned off.

3. ZA preference and unchecked start ZA at start up

4. Restart computer

5. Uninstalled ZA

6. Restart computer

7. Ran Norton s uninstall

8. Restart computer

9. Ran CCleaner

10. Restart computer

11. Opened task manager to insure no application were running

12. Connect to the net

13. Ran ZA s download and install version 7.1.254

14. Restart computer

15. ZA running

16. Connect to the net

17. Ran GRC leak test / leak test connected to GRC

Hi!
    using the free version? GRC will connect..
    using the PRO or Suite? Ensure you set program control to MAX (and NOT autolearn) and remember to remove grc leaktest from allowed program lists.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information