Thread: Does CA Antivirus not work with ZoneAlarm now??

clarkh Guest

Default Does CA Antivirus not work with ZoneAlarm now??

I got a notice for the new update to ZoneAlarm and tried to install it but as soon as it starts the process it comes up with a message that says "Installation Conflict! Computer Associates Antivirus was detected on this computer and may cause a conflict with ZoneAlarm. Please uninstall it before installing ZoneAlarm."

It then shuts down and will not go beyond that point in the install. I tried 'snoozing' the CA Antivirus but that does not help. Now the ZoneAlarm will not work and shows in the system tray with a yellow X in a red square. When it is opened it just says "system error: please reboot." Rebooting the computer does not help. CA Antivirus used to be the one used by ZoneAlarm in the suite, but is it now not supported??

I am using Win XP Pro with all the latest updates. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Clark

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Does CA Antivirus not work with ZoneAlarm now??

Hi!
    ZAfree 7 comes now embedded with ZASS7. This notice looks more related to ZASS7 so there can be conflicts with current security tools.I guess one way to install would be to remove CA, install ZA, install back CA.Up to you to decide if it is worth... otherwise you can go back to a real free version (free of addons) that is ZA 6.XCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

clarkh Guest

Thanks Fax, that makes some sense. The download for the free version this time was a lot bigger than normal so the idea that it includes the whole suite fits for the problem I encountered. The installer for the suite (used for the free firewall also) would naturally object to any other antivirus being on the system. I've been thinking about upgrading to the ZASS7 anyway, but I do kind of resent things being set up to hassle you if you don't use their full product. But since it is free, who can really complain!!

In the context of upgrading to ZASS7 I read things here regarding problems with the suite on install and operational things like memory usage. Is the consensus that the quality of the suite overrides any problems that still exist? Also what are the feelings about System Mechanic since I need something along those lines also? Thanks for the help.

Clark

Hi!latest version ZASS 7.0.408.000 work very well and most issue have been resolved...Current ZASS beta (ZASS 7.0.415.000) its even better... memory usage have been improved. So watch out for this update.. its a winner.However, before buying use the 15 days trial... its the best way to see if it works fine with your system.If you have issues with ZASS you will surely notice it the first 15 days you use it.Cheers,Fax

rockerz Guest

I have the exact same problem.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73127

How can i get back to version 6 pls.

I'm guessing you use the ZA Free.
    Download the previous from here.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amo Guest

I use ZA free firewall version 6.5.737.000. I also use CA Antivrus. Upgrading to a newer version ZA free won't work, i have to uninstall CA Antivirus but then it still won't install properly. So i decided, some time ago, to stay with the free version 6.5.737.000. I don't need the full suite anyways. But now, with the new windowsupdate problem you (Zone Labs) suggest on your site to install the latest version zlsSetup_70_483_000_en.exe. (The other options are realy no solutions: uninstalling the windows update... lower the security level in ZA to medium (no stealth mode) are not solutions but workarrounds...)
    Now i have again the
    same problem installing this together with CA Antivirus.
    I think it's seriously strange that i have to remove software of manufacturer A to install software from manufacturer B and re-install the software from A again. Why don't you make a version that installs together properly
    with CA antivirus, i'm not the only one with this problem. It will also be a graet idea to release a fix for the old free version 6x for this windows updateproblem or a new version 7x as before: only the free ZA FW as version 6.
    What's the point of downloading (with a lot of problems) a large (45MB) softwareprogram and installing the full suite and then somewhere in the installation process choose the free version and finally use only one small (v6 was about 13MB) part of it. I'm not going to use the suite or pro version. Certainly not if ZL pushes me this way to purchase a suite. I think ZL is neglecting a large group of users of the free ZA FW when they don't release a fix for free users using CA antivirus.
    AMO.

Hi!there is no ZA staff here. We are all users.You should write directly to ZA customer support about it.www.zonealarm.com/csform Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-11-2008 12:49 AM

Thread Information