Thread: Setup error (missing export KERNEL32.DLL)

davex Guest

Default Setup error (missing export KERNEL32.DLL)

http://forums.zonealarm.org/i/p.gif
    I recently downloaded the setup file for Free ZA, but on opening it received the error message:"The ZASETUP_EN.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:VerifyVersionInfoA."
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Btw: prior to that I had uninstalled ZA because of VSMON errors on booting up,
    and was attempting to re-download it.
    Dave.

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Setup error (missing export KERNEL32.DLL)

Version 7 does not work on the older OS such as Windows 98-SE.
    Go no higher or recent than the ZA 6.1 and you will be okay.
    Even 5.5 free is good choice.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

davex Guest

Thanks for the info, Oldsod.Unfortunately though, despite spending quite a while looking round the ZA site, I can't find anywhere to download previous free versions.I've seen the PDF file user guides, but nothing
    else Can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

Best regards.
    oldsod

davex Guest

Thanks, Oldsod. That's great!I've now
    been successfully re-united
    with version 5.5
    You've been very helpful again.I'll make a note of this!
    Thanks.
    Dave.

Thank you and best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

roxcuerrier Guest

hii have the same problem, i try to instal zonealarm on my mother computher, wich is run on windows me.i'd try the soluce, download an older version on the link you gave but every link before 6.5 version goes to ''cannot find this page''.i have an error message when i try to install the 6.5 ''could not load dll library C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vsutil.dll (VSSetProtection). La procedure specifi e est introuvable"
    (bilingal error message, this is the first one i saw!!!)
    i will try again tomorow, with your help i'm sure this will be a succes
    thankroxcuerrierps,
    sorry for my english!!!

Windows 98se/ME

Support Discontinued
    On July 11, 2006, Microsoft will end support for Windows 98, 98SE and Me, which will have the resulting effect of making these operating systems less secure (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx). Windows 98/Me are older operating systems, and therefore inherently more vulnerable to attacks than newer operating systems. Now that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates to this operating system it will become increasingly prone to security vulnerabilities.

Accordingly, Check Point will cease to support Windows 98/98SE/Me with the introduction of our version 6.5 ZoneAlarm family of products including ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite, ZoneAlarm
    Pro, ZoneAlarm
    Antivirus, ZoneAlarm
    Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm

Note about pre-6.5 products:<UL><LI>Pre-6.5 products will continue to run on the Windows 98/98SE/Me operating system. However, there are a few new and advanced protection features in ZoneAlarm products that will not run due to technical limitations of this operating system. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system. <LI>ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-6.5 products at any time. &lt;&lt;&lt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/i/smilies/...-surprised.gif</LI>[/list]

* - Windows 95 is no longer supported

<A target=_blank></A>FAQ for ZoneAlarm End-of-Life Policy

Why does ZoneAlarm have a policy to end support for operating systems?

This policy is in place for several reasons:
    1. <LI>Older operating systems, even when still supported by the creating company, often have technical limitations that make it impossible to properly protect our customers using new and advanced ZoneAlarm technology. <LI>When the creating company stops fixing the new "holes" discovered by hackers in its operating system, customers are much more vulnerable to attack. <LI>ZoneAlarm strongly encourages its customers to adhere to a "best practices" approach to security, where each best practice that's upheld makes the customer much less likely to fall victim to attack; and every best practice ignored makes the customer much more vulnerable. Keeping software, including the operating system, up-to-date with the latest security patches is an essential best practice.</LI>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Since your Mothers Computer is running Windows ME..The Last Version Of ZoneAlarmFree that works with ME is: 6.1 Branch

6.1.744.001 was released to the public on March 27, 2006. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here---------------You will Need totry and Remove any Corrupted ZA 6.5 first..Then remove this folders from your system:

"Internet Logs" (windows directory)
    "Zone Labs" (under your Program Files folder)
    "Zonelabs" (under your Windows System32 folder)

If you are not able to remove them, the boot in SAFE MODE and delete from SAFE MODE.Reboot Computer and Run the following Free Program before Installing ZA 6.1Using something like this Freeware CCleaner &lt;--- http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
    , will help do the cleanup as well on both the Hard drive and the Registry .

Now Try to installZA 6.1and shutdown any security tools you are running before installing ZA.
    Good Luck..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information