Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for installing the new ZA 7.0.483.000

za_avastfan Guest

Default Tips for installing the new ZA 7.0.483.000

Dear ZoneAlarm Forum Users and Mods,

Here are my tips which worked for me:

- Boot your computer as normal
    - Do not uninstall the Mirco$oft update causing the problem
    - Shut down Zonealarm by right-clicking the ZA icon at the bottom-right hand corner and selecting 'Shut-down ZA'
    - Download the latest 7.0.483.000 update directly from the ZA website!!!
    - Double-click and run the install
    - Reboot and voila!

Initially I tried to install it without shutting down ZA (which has ALWAYS worked flawlessly for me in the past) however I received a message that the True Vector Service process could not be stopped.

Shutting down ZA manually seemed to fix this problem.

End result: My system is now functioning with full internet access and no other visible problems.

I hope this helps some other people out there.

ZA_Avaastfan

Message Edited by ZA_Avastfan on 07-12-2008 03:43 AM

Default Re: Tips for installing the new ZA 7.0.483.000

ZA installers downloaded directly from the ZA servers (not third party servers) do not have viruses.
    There is no need to scan the installer - these are 100% safe.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

za_avastfan Guest

Hi Oldsod,

That is correct :-)

I only scan everything I download because I am perhaps a little hypersensitive or paranoid about viruses :-)

I have edited my previous post and removed that step in light of your comments.

Apologies for any offence caused with ZA, I think it's a great product and my comment was not intended that way.

Best wishes and keep up the sterling work!

ZA_avastfan

No problem ZA_Avastfan.
    It's probably safe to say any recognized/accepted security vendor's server are clean and never send malware, not just the ZA servers.
    Thanks for understanding and being the all around good gentleman.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Oldsod, I'd say that the probability of getting an infected download from a "recognized software vendor's" download site is
    extremely low, as you suggest, but not guaranteed to be zero.
    So, I would recommend that every object downloaded, from whatever source,
    be vetted before use by scanning the downloaded object using all of the "on demand" scanners you have available and by checking digital signatures.

jjcampbell Guest

I used the same steps to clean install the "upgrade", but now my system is unusable. ZA gobbles 98% of CPU and itself shows "not responding". I will have to go purchase a competing product - I can't wait until this is resolved, and the email hlp won't arrive, if it does at all, for several days. I can't wait several days. The advice i am likely to get, to "clean install" again, is useless - I already did a "clean install".

jjcampbell Guest

It was once a great product. No longer. Since it does not work after the install, that makes me vulnerable, regardless of whether the threat comes from ZA or some other source. This should not be accepted from a security vendor - they put a "solution" out there that disables my ability to use my system!!

mhguda Guest

I tried all of the tips suggested in this forum, and when they did not work I uninstalled my working zonealarm pro. The update would still not install, I get an error message that an installer log file or error log file cannot be accessed because another app is supposingly using it. This, as far as I know, is not correct. Nothing is using those files.
    To make matters worse, I decided then to give up and reinstall the previous version (7.0470) and THAT now gives me the same error message. I think there is a problem with the installer. What can I do to correct this problem?

mhguda Guest

Found a solution. After removing zonealarm using windows add/remove programs, I booted into safe mode and was able to install the new zonealarm version. It works OK again. I just wonder why it had to be so difficult?

<blockquote><hr>cwhenske wrote:
    Oldsod, I'd say that the probability of getting an infected download from a "recognized software vendor's" download site is
    extremely low, as you suggest, but not guaranteed to be zero.
    So, I would recommend that every object downloaded, from whatever source,
    be vetted before use by scanning the downloaded object using all of the "on demand" scanners you have available and by checking digital signatures.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Okay that is your way and it is very safe and has no errors.
    There are many people doing what you do - scan all downloads even from safe servers with safe giles.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong in how you are practising your correct safe hex.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information