Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Successful Install of 7.0.483.000 and the solution

  1. #1
    the_flying_scot Guest

    Default Successful Install of 7.0.483.000 and the solution

    Thought I would post this in case it helps anyone else.
    I successfully installed 7.0.483.000 over 7.0.470.000 using the "upgrade" option on the installer, after a slight hiccup.
    Before I installed I did the following:1)
    Cleaned out temp files and Explorer history files
    2)
    Defragged the hard disck
    3)
    Disconnected from the internet
    4)
    Backed up the ZoneAlarm setings.
    5)
    Disabled ZoneAlarm from starting at boot up by going into Overview/Preferences tab and deselecting "Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup"6)
    Rebooted7)
    Ran installer and selected "upgrade" option
    After installation and reboot (as per installer instructions) I found my Notepad very sluggish taking an age to open applications and or open tabs on the ZA window.
    I then pressed Ctrl+Shift and at the same time right clicked the Zone Alarm Icon in the tray and left clicked Reset (A tip I learned from installing .470 over .462 when slow PC response seemed a problem experienced by a number of users on the forum - note
    this wipes all your custom settings).
    This cured the slow response.
    I then restored my security settings from
    the previously made backup by going into Overview/Preferences tab and selecting Restore.
    Result
    - a working install of .483, although I must admit I achieved it in a round-about way!
    It a shame the installer seems to have a hiccup when selecting "upgrade".
    Best regards
    The_Flying_Scot

    Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Successful Install of 7.0.483.000 and the solution

    I'm at the door you just went through. Thanx for your observations.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Successful Install of 7.0.483.000 and the solution



    I also want to describe a successful implementation of ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.483.000 over 7.0.473.000 using the Upgrade option with Kaspersky living there too.

    Rigorous install Procedure for hooked firewall and Anti-Virus engines:

    1)
    Downloaded and vetted ZAP 483 Installer;
    2)
    Set ZAP 473 to not start at boot;
    3)
    Set KAV to not start at boot (KAV and ZAP have a known complicated relationship);
    4)
    Backed up the ZAP 473 settings;
    5)
    Disconnected from Internet, rebooted, and confirmed both ZAP nor KAV were not running and that Teatimer was running;
    6)
    Ran ZAP 483 Installer and selected "upgrade" option;
    7)
    Rebooted, reconnected to Internet and demonstrated connectivity and ran Speed Test;
    8)
    Set KAV to start at boot;
    9)
    Rebooted, demonstrated connectivity, and ran 2nd Speed Test;
    10) Installed KB951748 via MS Update;
    11) Rebooted, demonstrated connectivity, and ran 3nd Speed Test;
    12) No complications, no sequelae.


    Environment:
    Windows XP SP3 Home;
    ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.483.000;
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.0.125;
    Spybot Search & Destroy with Teatimer 1.5.2.20

    Message Edited by cwhenske on 07-14-2008 09:16 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •