Thread: Can I upgrade to free ZoneAlarm v.7 without having to uninstall my current anti virus prog.?

jurisam Guest

Default Can I upgrade to free ZoneAlarm v.7 without having to uninstall my current anti virus prog.?

I'm still using free Zone Alarm version . 6.5.7.37 . I remember that when I was informed about the possibility to upgrade to version 7, they indicated that during the upgrade process I
    shall be asked to uninstall (or that they will have to uninstall) my paid C.A anti virus program. Therefore, I refrained from upgrading.My question now is :do they have now an option to upgrade without uninstalling my a.v. program or do I still have to accept the uninstalling of my a.v program as pre condition
    for
    upgrading to version 7
    or highest ?I'll appreciate & be most grateful for your comments regarding the a.m. issue
    jurisam

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Can I upgrade to free ZoneAlarm v.7 without having to uninstall my current anti virus prog.?

The ZA 6.1 works fine with the MS updates.
    If the ZA is either reinstalled or if the ZA database is reset.
    If not installing the MS updates that have cause so much trouble of late, then stay with the 6.5 (there is not that much difference bwtween the latest and the 6.5 in the free versions).

ZA database reset:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The Zone Alarm will be cleaned of all previous settings and data and it will appear as when it was first installed

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wittywitty Guest

Default Re: Can I upgrade to free ZoneAlarm v.7 without having to uninstall my current anti virus prog.?

Hi Olsod,

Would this be true for a 7x version too? If I just reset the database as indicated above, I can continue to use the current (old) version of ZA without having to update to the latest patch that has been released. Then, I also need not uninstall the MS update?

Please advice.
    Thanks.

<blockquote><hr>wittywitty wrote:
    Hi Olsod,

Would this be true for a 7x version too? If I just reset the database as indicated above, I can continue to use the current (old) version of ZA without having to update to the latest patch that has been released. Then, I also need not uninstall the MS update?

Please advice.
    Thanks.
    <hr></blockquote>

Sorry with will not work with the ZA versions 6.5 and newer, such as your ZA version 7.
    Only with the ZA 6.1 and older versions.
    Just uninstall the ZA in the Add and Remove Programs of the Control Panel before installing the MS updates and then install the ZA build with the ms patch compatible.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jurisam Guest

Thanks Oldsod, In fact, that's what I'm doing since I got that notice from ZA.jurisam

You are welcome.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information