Thread: ZA trying to start up (see startup window flashing regularly) but not running

mat_with_one_t Guest

Default ZA trying to start up (see startup window flashing regularly) but not running

Hi all. I have been using ZA for years no probs. Suddenly, it won't work. I get a regular (very quick) flashing window which is the "wait whilst ZA starts up" window, but it just keeps trying without success. I cannot uninstall it either from the program list or the Windows XP add/remove. Occasionally get the "cannot access" message or a "true vector" problem that seems common in these forums. Problem is, I can't access the uninstall, so don't know where to begin. I am not sure, but I MAY have gotten the probs since a recent update. Ideas on where to begin? Cheers, Mat

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

hammernu Guest

Default Re: ZA trying to start up (see startup window flashing regularly) but not running

Follow these steps:
    1) Reboot into, and continue in, Safe Mode with Internet until installed ZoneAlarm requests first reboot

2) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

3) Install ZoneAlarm

In the future, never install a new version of ZoneAlarm over an existing one that's running. Instead, uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm ... at startup", reboot, then install the new version and when prompted, choose "Clean Install".

mat_with_one_t Guest

Default Re: ZA trying to start up (see startup window flashing regularly) but not running

Did all that (seemed to work). Last question - when I reinstall (download) ZA again, do I need to do this in safe mode also? Secondly (and I don't know if this is related), I seem to have lost all of my Firefox bookmarks. This happened at the same time as all this other stuff. Are the two things related? Can I get them back? Thanks for all the help. Mat

hammernu Guest

I don't know the answer to the Firefox bookmarks. Sorry.
    As for ZoneAlarm, call me overly careful but for any new version I always do a clean uninstall in Safe Mode. When it calls for a reboot, I go back into Safe Mode and start the install. When it calls for a reboot, I continue in Normal Mode. Necessary? Maybe not, but I've NEVER had a single problem with any uninstall or installation. You must realize that ZoneAlarm, like any security software, hooks deep into Windows and has other processes running which can't be shut down. What you want for the uninstall and reinstall
    is an environment with only the absolutely necessary processes running for Windows to function. That's known as Safe Mode.
    If your're not having any problems with your current version and a new one comes out, the recommended steps are:
    1) In your current ZoneAlarm: Overview > Preferences > uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup".
    2) Reboot.
    3) Install the new version. When prompted, choose "Clean Install".

But I will still stick with Safe Mode.

Thread Information