Thread: ZoneAlarm Free Version & Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal

postro Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free Version & Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal

I recently (11 Jul 2008) downloaded
    &amp; installed ZoneAlarm ver 7.0.483.000.On the 14 Jul 08 I downloaded &amp; tried to install KAV ver 9 only to get a message that ZoneAlarm was incompatible with it.Tech Spt at Kaspersky UK said that:<blockquote>

We supplied our engine to the makers of Zone Alarm for their Suite and Antivirus product, they have included these files in ALL products as they offer a Switch from firewall to Suite as part of their marketing - with this &quot;Switch&quot; comes the conflict.

They have assured us they will amend this so the conflicts will no longer arise and we are still awaiting a version from them to test this.

So at the moment you cannot use Kaspersky and version 7 of Zone Alarm, you can use another firewall in the meantime or the Windows one. Or roll back to a version 6 product from Zone Alarm which doesn't contain these files.

They did state this version resolved it but users said in fact it made no difference

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...ml#7.0.470.000</blockquote>

Does anyone know of this and can they help a Silver-Surfer?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

rtpdakar Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free Version & Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal

I think I have the same problem with ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite but from the other direction. In doing a clean installation of Vista Business 32bit, I installed the latest version of KAV (Kaspersky 2009, but identified by the program as v8). I also have KAV v7 but had some problems so upgraded to v8.
    After KAV was installed and updated, I downloaded ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (7.1.254.000). When installing (Run as Administrator) the program gets to 24% (vlquarrantine.dll is the program I believe)
    and then hangs (&quot;Not responding&quot; per Windows). No other programs have been installed besides Windows Vista (and IE).
    The first time it happened I realized that KAV was running in the background. I then shut down KAV, uninstalled ZAISS, rebooted to Safe Mode, and followed the directions in another post:http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=77605to completely remove traces of the earlier installation. Note that ZoneAlarm was present among the programs installed (though it did not finish); uninstalling removed the ZoneAlarm folder in Program Files and all traces in System32 folder. Only the temp and prefetch files were still there.
    The second and third time I tried the installation, however, the program still hung at 24% complete.
    Perhaps I am having the same conflict, only now KAV will not allow ZoneAlarm to install? vlquarrantine.dll may well relate to the firewall with ZoneAlarm.
    When I download ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP = firewall + spyware only) the program (7.1.254.000)
    installs and configures without problems.

Interesting enough, the Anti-virus monitoring feature of ZAP does not detect that KAV is installed and running.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Business 32 bit - all updates installed through 14 July 2008Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and Pro

postro Guest

Thanks a lot - I've no idea if it helps or not!I don't have Vista, I don't have ZoneAlarm Pro, so I won't do anything yet.I'm hoping that ZoneAlarm (Checkpoint) will reply!

chillypalmer Guest

this sounds like Checkpoint wants us (as users) to go for thier Pro version, which I don't like, since I want to use and test the Freeware version a bit longer before I buy the product.

Thread Information