Thread: Considering updating from ZA Free 6.5.737 to newest ZA Free -- Questions!

bloomcounty Guest

Default Considering updating from ZA Free 6.5.737 to newest ZA Free -- Questions!

Hi,

I am considering updating from ZA 6.5.737 Free to ZA Free 7.0.483 because of the issue with KB951748. I really don't want to because I like the simple streamlined 6.5 version (which doesn't come with turned-off features). However, if I do update, I have some questions:

1. Is it still recommended to to a complete uninstall of ZA 6.5.737 Free before installing the new version?

2. If so, what are the best/latest complete uninstall instructions? The last ones I have are here:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

3. I also use AVG Free 7.5 -- I don't need to do anything with that when uninstalling and then installing the newer ZA Free, do I?

4. I use XP SP2 -- does ZA Free 7.0.483 have any issues with that?

5. Are there any other features that I can avoid when installing other than that ZoneAlarm SpyBlocker (which I wouldn't install).

6. Is the newest version of ZA Free still "big" because it includes all the features but just has them turned off?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

birdwatcher Guest

Default Re: Considering updating from ZA Free 6.5.737 to newest ZA Free -- Questions!

Like you, bloomcounty, I favored the simple streamlined 6.5 version, which I had used for a couple of years with no problems. After much reading of the ZA forum threads, here is what I did. After doing a clean uninstall of 6.5, I went to the ZA release history page (http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html) and downloaded version 5.5.094.000. This version installed with no problem and so far there are no conflicts with my Antivirus and Anti spyware programs. I am now surfing the net in high stealth mode. I went to the Shields Up web site and did a port test and I am totally stealthy. ZA is asking my permission for each program that has tried to access the net so far. Everything seems to be back to normal...oh happy day!

Operating System: Windows XP SP3

bloomcounty Guest

Default Re: Considering updating from ZA Free 6.5.737 to newest ZA Free -- Questions!

Thanks for the reply. Was there any reason you went with 5.5.094.000 Free instead of 6.1.x Free? ZA Guru Oldsod has posted that there is little difference between the two (actually I think he said there is none between the free versions) and that 6.1.x is not effected by the MS Update issue. However, I haven't seen anyone with 6.1.x post that they're not having any problems (only people with 5.5.x). Maybe because of that there's just the incorrect thought that all of 6.x is effected, when it's actually just 6.5 and 7.x (I am told).

Any thoughts?

birdwatcher Guest

I actually tried the 6.1 first and before install it asked me what application I wanted to open it with.?? I didn't have a clue, so I just skipped all the way down to 5.5. No problems yet. By the way, I do have the MS update. Never uninstalled it.

Message Edited by birdwatcher on 07-15-2008 03:42 PM

bloomcounty Guest

Thom here on the board had a similar issue:
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=34799

But Oldsod says that 5.5 is the same as 6.1 -- the differences listed are only for the paid version:
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=34806

However, the links to 6.1.x and above on that ZA page may be wonky because they don't have the installer included or something...?

tonybuck Guest

Definitely, you want to do a clean install.
    Really, really clean.
    Look for thevarious gurus' instructions on how to do this, and do everything theyrecommend.
    I went through this, and think it highly worthwhile.
    6.5has an outdated engine, and from what I've read, you can't expectvirus database updates indefinitely (there was an extended period recentlywithout any).
    Better than free, go straight to paid 7.0.483.000, which getsyou past a recent painful interaction with a Windows update.
    IMHO, anyway.

birdwatcher Guest

Whatever the case, 5.5 is working perfectly now for me. If you have the antivirus and anti spyware software that you are happy with and just want a basic firewall to provide stealth and program control, this seems to be the way to go.

bloomcounty Guest

I'm going with 6.1.x, as that's the latest version of ZA Free that's not effected by the MS Update issue according to Oldsod here on the boards.

I'll be sure to follow the uninstall instructions to the letter!

Thread Information