I have had a problem with ZA and AVG conflicting - AVG would hang on manual or scheduled scan. I contacted AVG and they were able to reproduce the problem. They sent me the following reply:
>> start AVG reply
AS I stated earlier, by analyzing the dumps you sent I found out that
the scan process is hung while trying to open file
"C:\System Volume Information\tracking.log".
There seems to be something rotten between System Restore and
ZoneAlarm. Fortunately, I was able to reproduce the problem on my test
- installed AVG 8.0.138
- installed ZoneAlarm 7.0.483
- added a new disk volume, formatted it and restarted
- scheduled a scan on this new drive
- deadlock occurred
1. The problem persists even if I completely uninstalled AVG. I just
tried to view the "\System Volume Information\tracking.log" file on
the new volume using a file viewer and the deadlock occurred even
2. The problem goes away when I disable loading of driver klif.sys,
which is installed as a part of ZoneAlarm:
Signing date: 10:41 15.5.2007
Publisher: Kaspersky Lab
Description: Klif Mini-Filter
Product: Kaspersky Anti-Virus
File version: 184.108.40.206
3. Simply disabling Anti-virus and Anti-spyware in ZoneAlarm's control
panel doesn't help.
4. Turning off System Restore for the affected drive and restarting
doesn't help as well.
Since ZA's uninstallation process doesn't allow to select individual
components, I suggest to uninstall it as a whole and urge it's vendor
to fix this issue.
Thank you for your help.
Core Development Team
>> end AVG reply
I am hoping ZA team will pick up on this and look into the issue.
Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)