Thread: Update Installation Fiasco

xxccyypp Guest

Default Update Installation Fiasco

I have been with Zone Alarm since very early versions of the program. I tried to update my Zone Alarm Pro per instructions, and now I have a system that is unstable, I cannot uninstall the partial installation that does not work correctly. For two weeks I have been dialing the $2.95 per minute premium tech support number and wasting the time to enter my credit card - without which you can't do anything, only to be told that they're too busy to take my call!

Granted that Microsoft updates can play havoc with programs, this response from Zone Alarm is a fiasco and I seriously wonder if the company can survive -- especially if it alienates (infuriates would be a better term) long-term users like me, who have purchased dozens of products.

I am now in situation where the firewall is only partially installed, but I cannot uninstall it. All attempts with various uninstallers, starting with Windows ADD/Remove show that "resources" cannot be accessed to uninstall. Obviously the initial installation was corrupted, but it is impossible to reinstall -- it can't open necessary files, saying that they are in use by other programs.

What is a person supposed to do in a situation like this -- can't uninstall, can't reinstall, tech support won't answer the phone, even at $2.95 per minute -- other than find an alternative firewall solution and advise everyone else to do the same?

Pathetic!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Update Installation Fiasco

Here is a solution that should work for you:

Clean uninstall followed by install

1) Append " /clean" (without quotes) to ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut Target (that's a space followed by /clean)

2) Reboot

3) Uninstall from shortcut

4) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

5) Install ZoneAlarm

xxccyypp Guest

Thank you for this, but there is no ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut Target. in the zone alarm folder there is an zauninst.exe, which I have tried to run, both from the icon and from the Run box. it says that it cannot locate the resources to execute the program. adding \clean does not seem to make any difference.

I'd be very happy to hear other suggestions.

hammernu Guest

No problem. Follow these directions instead:
    1) Reboot into, and continue in, Safe Mode with Internet until

ZoneAlarm installation requests first reboot

2) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

3) Install ZoneAlarm

xxccyypp Guest

Thank you for this suggestion, though I didn't understand how it was going to work in that the installation is somehow incomplete and unrecognized by the system.

I did, however, restart in safe mode. As I suspected, zone alarm did not ask for any reboot or anything else -- zone alarm is not there, though it can be started and the control screens appear even in normal mode. only when you look more deeply do you discover that it is not really working properly (a big hint is when you ask it to check for updates and it tells you that it can't comply, the program is not installed correctly). Nor could i uninstall from add/remove programs in safe mode -- I got the same message about the system being unable to locate the necessary resources to uninstall.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

hammernu Guest

1) Reboot into, and continue in, Safe Mode with Internet until

ZoneAlarm installation requests first reboot

2) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

3) Install ZoneAlarm

---------------------------------
    I think you misunderstood.
    Step 1) Says to boot into Safe Mode and stay in Safe Mode until step 3), install ZoneAlarm, tells you to reboot. Once you start the ZoneAlarm install, it will eventually tell you to reboot and at that point, you reboot into Normal Mode as you normally run in. Note that you also perform step 2) in Safe Mode.

xxccyypp Guest

I didn't understand to reinstall after starting in Safe Mode. I am very happy that this worked. Thank you very much. I hope that others who were not able to get any other kind of support will see these messages.

If installation has corrupted or stalled, reboot into Safe Mode and reinstall from there.

Thank you.

hammernu Guest

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you.

Thread Information