Thread: ZA update allways hangs

nikosch Guest

Default ZA update allways hangs

Hi,

every time when I try to update my ZA-free (only firewall) the installation hangs up exactly and repeatably when the file "zlquarantine.dll" shall be copied to my install directory. This happens with different update versions.
    Because of the problems with the Windows-update 951748 I am now working with ZA 6.1.737.000. The update to the newest version of ZA which is compatible with the Windows-update is not possible.

On my computer with Windows XP home SP3 I have Kaspersky Antivirus 7.0.1.321 and Spybot Search&Destroy 1.4, but both were deactivated before starting installation of ZA update.

Is this a known effect and what can I do to update?

Nikosch

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.1
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: ZA update allways hangs

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Nikosch wrote:
    Hi,

every time when I try to update my ZA-free (only firewall) the installation hangs up exactly and repeatably when the file "zlquarantine.dll" shall be copied to my install directory. This happens with different update versions.
    Because of the problems with the Windows-update 951748 I am now working with ZA 6.1.737.000. The update to the newest version of ZA which is compatible with the Windows-update is not possible.

On my computer with Windows XP home SP3 I have Kaspersky Antivirus 7.0.1.321 and Spybot Search&amp;Destroy 1.4, but both were deactivated before starting installation of ZA update.

Is this a known effect and what can I do to update?

Nikosch

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.1
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    The ZA 6.1 and 6.5 Only contain the Basic Firewall,That all changes with the ZAFree 7.0 which you might notice the New ZAFree 7.0.483.000 isalmost three timesthe size of the ZAFree 6.1..-----------------------------------------------------Here is a Clue for Users of ZAFree for WinXP..all version of ZAFree for Win XP ever since the First ZAFree Ver. 7.0 contains the full Trial of ZA Security Suite.. 44.6Mb, nearly three times bigger than the original ZAFree Ver 6.1,this is a Marketing Ploy to offer FRee users a chance to try the 15 day trial of the Full Security Suite, even though durring the Install process you can Decline the Free Trial of the Security Suite, the fact that the ZA Anti-Virus (a version of Kaspersky AV)and Anti-Spyware install modules are included in the ZAFree Install package will Conflict with any other Anti-Virus (including Kaspersky AV)or Anti-Spyware that you have pre-installed before installing ZAFree .2.) Please note that ZAFree for XP does not always play nice with many security tools. For example, ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&amp;D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active.

To troubleshoot ZAFree issues it is highly recommendedthat youremove all the above and install them back on (if you really need to) after your ZAFreeis installed and configured and runningas it should. If you have not installed any of the above ensure that NO left overs areon the system (they can conflict with the ZA install).
    Here is another tip:Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. It seems that Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA. There is a known issue that PC Tools is investigating where the Spyware Doctor causes excess CPU usage for vsmon.exe. This was really never a big deal for me, but apparently with the newest ZA update, this conflict has risen to a new level. If I disable Process Guard then ZA functions normally.
    You must go into ZA Overview/Preferences and UN-Check "Load ZoneAlarm Free on Startup"3. Reboot the Computer. 4. Install the new ZA update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

ZAFree for WinXP requires a minimum of Service Pack 2..Please Post back with your Progress Report..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 32-Bit version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956725064
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4335 &lt;== New Update
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 08-12-2008 05:11 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nikosch Guest

Default Re: ZA update allways hangs

Thank you for the detailled explanations.
    In the moment I have not sufficient time free to check your proposals. But I will try it later.

When this occurs I will send you a note.

Thanks again

Nikosch

Thread Information