Thread: I'd like to restore my Zones list, as it got wiped out in a ZA upgrade.

billdennes Guest

Default I'd like to restore my Zones list, as it got wiped out in a ZA upgrade.

I upgraded my PCs to ZA Pro 7.0.483.000. I can't imagine that I told all 3 of them to do a clean install instead of an upgrade, but maybe I did: The Zones tab in my firewall is now empty on all the PCs except for the name of my home network.
    Ouch.
    How can I recover?
    I'd like to know if I can restore a file from one of my system backups and get the Zones list back.
    The only alternative that I can think of is to back up my whole system now, then restore the full system from an earlier
    backup and copy down the Zones list by hand. Then I could restore my system to its current state and hand-enter the list. This choice sounds like WAY too much work.
    Oh yeah, here's another alternative: I leave things as they are now. Then every time I get a weird error of any kind, I can turn Zone Alarm off and see if that fixes it. This choice sounds suicidal.
    Please help me.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

billdennes Guest

Default Re: I'd like to restore my Zones list, as it got wiped out in a ZA upgrade.

I just re-learned that I can recover Zones list items one-by-one using the Firewall log and the Add to Zones button.
    I'd still like to learn how to restore these in bulk if it's possible.
    :+)
    I think I should have selected 7.0 in the Software Version list?

rainbows Guest

Default Re: I'd like to restore my Zones list, as it got wiped out in a ZA upgrade.

<blockquote><hr>BillDennes wrote:
    I just re-learned that I can recover Zones list items one-by-one using the Firewall log and the Add to Zones button.I'd still like to learn how to restore these in bulk if it's possible.:+)I think I should have selected 7.0 in the Software Version list?
    <hr></blockquote>

Bill,
    In Don Hoover's instructions, he says you can restore the database file that Zone Alarm uses (IAMDB.RDB AND BACKUP.RDB) manually.
    I would suggest:
    In Zone Alarm, do a &quot;backup&quot; of your current settings first to a file somewhere you can remember. Close down Zone Alarm (make sure your internet connection is turned off or blocked while you do that).
    Go to the &quot;Internet Logs&quot; folder under Windows and change the name of the current IAMDB.RDB and BACKUP.RDB files to something like IAMDB.RDB_old and BACKUP.RDB_old. Then restore those 2 files from your backup.
    Restart Zone Alarm and see if your old settings are there. If you want to save some of them, you can export that settings file also and decide whether to stay with those or go back to your other settings file.
    These are my own version of the instructions, not anything official. I recently had to uninstall/reinstall a few times in recent days so this is fresh for me.

Barbara

Thread Information