Thread: Zone Alarm Firewall

nosmiley Guest

Default Zone Alarm Firewall

I have ZA internet security suite 2008. I have installed & updated. I turned off windows firewall & am trying to use ZA firewall.It says its on, working,latest update & I'm protected;then brags about blocking O
    attempts to enter. I'm using Avira free as an antivirus. Since installing ZA, avira has blocked 7-10 trojan
    attempts, while ZA sits there, bragging about nothing.Windows security mentions ZA & Windows Firewall as only ones. I bought ZA because it said it had a mode for dummies like me, that didn't require much tinkering. I have 350 days left on the suite. Probably need help.I have read basic installation & setup here,followed directions that came with program.Done various cleanings & reinstall, used removal tools for preinstalled Mcafee; uninstalled and cleaned up, paid for Kaspersky, 200 days left.[ Continual pop ups,requiring constant tinkering.} Ran windows safety clean- free several times.Everyting OK now.Gateway 5438Windows Vista home premium,[updated & service pack 1]Spyware BlasterAdaware 2008Spybot
    Search
    & Destr.
    [teatime never downloaded but turned off anywayAvira Antivirus PE freeMalwareBytes Antispyware-freeCCleanerGlary Utilities-free
    Thanks for any help. Please give guidance in sequence & simple. I'm an old man ; I don't know all the relevant terms, but can usually follow directions.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Firewall

Sometimes having too much is not a good thing; in the pc world - you really ought to have just one firewall, one anti-virus installed. From what you have mentioned you appear to have two anti-virus installed which is not a good thing to have.
    You can click here &gt; www.firewallguide.com<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>1- ZoneAlarm Internet Suite - which you claim to have installed has firewall + anti-virus (by Kaspersky av) + lot's of extra features.2 - Avira - free anti-virus
    Question: when you open ZA do you see a green &quot;All Systems Active&quot; ? and when you look at ZA system tray icon (near your clock, lower right) do you see a big &quot; Z &quot; or a red box with a yellow ' X ' in it?
    Decison: if you want to use only one anti-virus - which one do you want? The Avira or the Kaspersky av -already included with ZA Suite?? If you want to keep the ZA Suite - the Avira really needs to be properly un-installed. If you want to keep Avira av, it would have been better to get ZoneAlarm Pro instead of the ZA Suite.<hr>MalwareBytes Antispy - I hear is pretty good, and with it installed - you &quot;may possibley&quot; not need Spybot or AdAware 2008; you can keep SpywareBlaster. The effectiveness of Spybot and AdAware is not as bright as it's former reputation and AdAware can be a 'resource hog' and conflict with ZA. Plus ZA Suite has a 'privacy protection' section which can do pretty much the same thing as AdAware in terms of cookie control, blocking ads, preventing low level adware - with right amount of configuration. As I mentioned above, having more does not always equal more protection; but rather more software conflicts, more slowdowns, too many doing the same, and causing more problems.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC - 8-28-08 - School Day - Chuck Berry

nosmiley Guest

Thanks for responding. Some answers to your questions:Regarding ZA firewall: All Systems active in green. Blue Z on grey background in tray. Internet Zone security -- High.

Trusted zone--medium, Blocked zone- no communication allowed.The windows firewall came installed in the computer.It's turned off.
    If I remove it, can I store it, or get it back in the future if for some unknown reason I need it.? As I said, I used mcafee special uninstall tool to remove mcafee. Kaspersky uninstall tool to remove it.. I can use revo uninstall on avira. I have Avira because it is so simple and works! I don't mind uninstalling it, if something in Zone Alarm
    suite will stop viruses, &amp; do it's job. Those other utilities don't seem to work until I call on them.I'm under the impression they aren't normally doing stuff in the background. The Antivirus &amp; Firewall are supposed to be &quot;on all the time&quot;I have found spybot search &amp; destr. doesn't seem to find as much as the Malwarebytes or avira. The adaware finds tracking cookies better than anything I've tried. I wouldn't mind removing spybot.I'll watch for more suggestions.

naivemelody Guest

Ok, first the Windows firewall is 'the default' firewall of all winodws pc - you can't remove, it will always be there if there is no third-party firewall like ZA, McAfee, Norton, etc. - whenever you try to update/ upgrade or un-install these third-party firewalls the windows firewall will automatically come back on; once you install a third-party firewall - that firewall will usually shut down windows firewall for you &gt; so in the end the windows firewall is a no issue - no worries.<hr>As mentioned ZA has an anti-virus - on the main control panel on the left you have your Anti-Virus tab - question: is it on? operational?
    have you used the anti-virus scanner? yet, updated the anti-virus definitions?<hr>Anyhow, if your not really having problems, I would say keep the status quo. Keep Spybot, keep AdAware, keep Avira - it's all your choice.<hr>I have read about users who had Trend Suite (firewall + anti-virus) and installed ZA Suite (firewall + anti-virus), appeared to run alright for a few monthes but then the ZA anti-virus tab just stopped working/ disappeared. This may happen to
    you, one day Kaspersky av in ZA will alert you that it is disabled; and as you are
    more fond of Avira - and if there seems to be no other problems - then I quess it will have
    worked all right for you.
    But, if there are problems you 'could' downgraded your ZA Suite to ZA Pro. You can click for more info &gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...comparison.jsp<hr>You can right click the ZA system tray icon - lower right &gt; click &quot;Help&quot; &gt; this is your 'User Guide' - read thru to understand, set your options, etc.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 8-29-08 - If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 08-29-2008 10:42 PM

Thread Information