Thread: How to keep a list of trusted zones (IP addresses) when making a clean upgrade

Default How to keep a list of trusted zones (IP addresses) when making a clean upgrade

Almost everywhere in this board is recommended to perform a "clean" upgrade when going from one old to a new version of ZA (for instance, upgrading from version 7 to version 8).

However, this makes loosing the configuration of the zones (i.e. the long list of IP adresses which I have entered as trusted; the list is long because my computer is with a public IP address and everything is therefore set as "Internet" except those other machines h I need to communicate with; this configuration cannot be changed).

After a clean upgrade, I need to re-enter all those addresses. I could, of course, make a back-up of the configuration of the previous version and then make a restore, but I was told this is not recommended because il will not only restore my list of trusted IP addresses but also program configurations and the like, which may create problems with a new version of ZA.

I tried, after upgrade, to create a backup file and then to edit this file (which is an *xml file and can be opened with Notepad) to make a copy-paste of the list of IP addresses saved from the backup of the previous version. However, this has resulted in other problems which let me think that the backup file contains information that cannot be so easily edited.

Any suggestion ?

Default Re: How to keep a list of trusted zones (IP addresses) when making a clean upgrade

The copy and paste should work okay.
    Make sure the lines are not respaced or any new gaps made or any gaps are closed up from before.
    Any changes in the exact listing will cause the backup not to load.

try just the copy and paste from the first

< trusted (to the last) < / trusted > starting under the < zones >

Also make a copy of the backup and use the unedited backup as a correct comparision to make sure the edited version is properly edited.

It does take practise.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-06-2008 06:20 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: How to keep a list of trusted zones (IP addresses) when making a clean upgrade

Thank yo very much for the fast and useful answer.
    I'll try to do it properly.
    Regards,

It does take some practise.
    I have edited backups and found they will not load, but after a few more tries found success.

Editing and making changes usually meant for me to first make a fresh backup and the then copy the backup - for a comparision and also for a just in case it went wrong. After a while no more mistakes and it goes perfectly.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information