Thread: Zonealarm 8.0 installation Issues / Software Install causes Lockup

Default Zonealarm 8.0 installation Issues / Software Install causes Lockup

It really does not matter whether or not it is a shut down issue.
    You would be correct that it is not a shut down issue specifically but the real problem is that the install does not work.
    I have mannually removed ZA as per the instructions on the message board.
    This still did not work and if the installation of 7.0 worked fine with the same exact software then how come there would only be a problem with 8.0?
    This does not make sense and I would think that it might have something to do with 8.0?
    It appears that other people are having the same issues and are reverting back to 7.0.
    This software usually is very good but it appears that some of the updates that have been rolled out lately there have been some issues with the inital version updates.
    Any suggestions?

RSmithZA wrote:
    I have tried a manual removal and it did not work.
    <hr>It did not work what? I am trying to explain you that shutdown issue are not resolved by clean removal.BUT general issue of slowdown of the system that are not connected with the issue some users are having with XP can be resolved by resetting the settings or by removing manually ZA.
    Which of the problems do you have?
    If you want to resolve them, open a new thread and I will try to help you.
    Cheers,Fax

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7...aissnewkp0.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...tomerserza.jpg
    ZA Customer Service Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 6am-5pm PST

Default Re: Zonealarm 8.0 installation Issues / Software Install causes Lockup

Hi!in order for user of this forum to help you.You should describe in detail your problem. It is not about shutdown issue.So, what is happening?What isthe software running on your system at boot. Are you running defrag tool, other software tools?Please post an Hijack this log of your system in order to undertand what is running.http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...-10227353.htmlWhat excatly is the error?Did you follow the the full instruction and got an error message at any point?Did you remove the registry entries as detailed?Please do not rush into the instruction. Just do them slowly and we will hopefully find what is conflicting with your systemDid you try to boot your system only with ZA and standard MS services and programs.Try this:1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-07-2008 11:32 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I do not understand why we would try this if the only thing that has changed is that I am installing 8.0 instead of 7.0.483.000.
    The same exact software is running on my machine with the 7.0.483.000 install which worked.
    There has not been any change except for trying to install 8.0.
    It appears that the only thing that has changed is 8.0.
    A lot of people are having issues with this install therefore I would think that there is an issue with 8.0.
    The suggestions that have been given has taken a lot of time to run and the end result appears to be the same.
    If it worked with 7.0 then why would it not work with 8.0.
    I did not have to close any programs with the 7.0.483.000 update.

Any ideas?

Hi!
    I am sorry only trying to help you but if you do not like to follow the suggestins I am giving you then I can't do much.
    To make it clear. It is normal for every release that you have all sort of messages been posted here.

This has happen since version 6,7... with million of users you have always a share of them not able to update successfully.

70% of these users have problems due to corrupted settings or locke ZA file
    15% of these have issues with incompatibilities (new or old) with ZA
    15% of these had to do with objective changes in ZA 8 (e.g. the shutdown issue in ZA 8 and XP)

Just a personal assessment based on my experience since 4 years on this forum.

Cheers,
    Fax

I would agree in what you are saying but the fact is when you uninstall 8.0 and reinstall 7.0 all the files are working properly therefore why would it be a corrupt file issue?
    This totally does not make sense.

I would think that it is an issue with the new release.
    If I have completely removes the software and resintalled then why would there be a corrupt file issue if the new install would reset these files?
    Any help would be appreciated...

masterwriter Guest

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have sometimes found that by going into Windows safe mode and then deleting the directory &quot;Internet Logs&quot; in the Windows directory it rectifies some issues. Try that for starters then there are some other steps which you can take to cleanly undelete ZA, which you can find here:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

Good luck. Let us know how you go on.

Alan

Hi!
    Well, difficult to explain, are version 7 left overs not version 8.
    This is the problem...

But without you doing anything apart from trying to understand the issue the problem will not be of easy solution.

You can try to contact ZA technical support: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

.. and keep us posted when you will resolved the issue and most of all how did you resolved it.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
    Fax

I think that Zonealarm should provide a complete unintall program for situations just like this to prevent potential registry issues when users have to manually uninstall the product.
    What has me completely puzzled is that if version 7.0 works with an install and I have completely removed the product based upon the manual install process then it would not make sense that it would be anything remaining unless Zonealarm is leaving other items left over even after a unintall and a manual uninstall as indicated by the posts on the forum.
    If Zonelarm would issue a clean unintall program for these types of issues then this would rule out any remaining component issues.

I have not heard back from Zonealarm from my email that I have sent to them a couple of days ago.
    Once I hear back I will keep you posted.
    I know that threatfire has issues a unintall program that makes sure that everything is removed.
    Does anyone know if Zonealarm has a unintall utility?
    If a person has a license then an unintall utility would be the best way to go since Zonealarm could require the user to re-enter the license code for verification of ownership.
    I hope they move this way since there have been problems with the last couple of releases.

Hi!
    you can use this utility, but is not supported by ZAlabs
    Here: http://www.zonealarm.com.au/main/kb_...asp?KBID=11433

Look under Clean Removal.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information