Thread: Serious Uninstall Problems & Loss of Browsers

gemais Guest

Default Serious Uninstall Problems & Loss of Browsers

Hey.

This is an extremely annoying and so far unsolved problem I have come across on my system. I have put off posting a thread here as 90% of the time I can troubleshoot problems with my computer through searching. I can t take the hassle and anger anymore!

This problem may have something to do with the a few other problems posted before like the windows update clash. Please read the whole thread first as I ve tried numerous things recommended on this site and others!

I study and live away from home for university and I use this computer that I built myself about 2.5 years ago. It runs Windows XP with SP2. For more than 5 years I ve always installed and run ZoneAlarm firewalls on my computer as well as my parent s computers.
    I use the free AVG antivirus and also do regular scans with Spybot Search and Destroy.

My problems started about 15 days ago. I woke up and turned the PC on not long after. ZA s update thing came up and took me to the update download page. I proceeded with the download like usual. After it had installed it prompted me that I had to restart the computer. This was fine I thought as I was going down to buy some new shoes. So I clicked restart and left the room.

I returned about 30 mins later and noticed the computer running but the screen was black and unresponsive. The Monitor light was green so I knew the monitor was receiving a signal. Moving the mouse or typing didn t change the screen. I thought that s weird and simply restarted the thing. As it started again I thought everything was normal but then the screen with the options of Start Normally Last Known Good Configuration and the Safe Mode options appeared. This wasn t a surprise as I did turn it off from the black screen.

I couldn t move the selection up or down though. It was stuck on Start Windows Normally and it was like my keyboard wasn t working. I did searches on the internet with the laptop downstairs and suspected maybe my video card has become faulty or dislodged. I pulled it out and reconnected it with no success. I was confused. I left it as it was and drove back to my home town. I returned here yesterday with the XP disc in the hopes of repairing the start up. As I was browsing thought the bios menus to change the boot device I noticed an option to enable USB keyboard and mouse. I hadn t noticed this option before and wondered if it had anything to do with the keyboard not responding on start up. I enabled them and rebooted. To my surprise I could arrow up and down and I selected Last Known Good Configuration. I don t know why those options were disabled but it was pure luck that I found them!

It started up this time and went to the log-in screen! I entered my password and it logged in. I immediately noticed that ZoneAlarm wasn t down in the tray. I thought it might take a bit longer or I might need to manually run it. Anyway after about 7-10minutes my Firefox stopped connecting. It would show page load error etc. Also Internet Explorer was the same! But the weird thing was that my MSN stayed signed in and I could chat to others fine but the browsers would not work. I tried many things but it was always the same. After about 7 minutes the browsers wouldn t load sites and the only way this could be fixed was to restart the computer. Not even disconnecting my wireless adapter or disabling the network affected the problem.

I realised that the last thing I installed before things went crazy was the ZA update. And every time I restarted the PC ZA never appeared in the tray. When I went to manually start up ZA, the computer would think for about 3 secs then just stop and nothing would happen. ZA wouldn t load up.

I started to think it was a failed installation or upgrade. I decided to uninstall it and try again. This is where it started getting really frustrating! I can t uninstall ZA! If I go to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security it just says

You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account.

Also, when I go into the location where ZA is installed and try to click the zauninst icon it produces the same message as above but when I click ok it comes up with the following message.

[b]Could not load the DLL library C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\vsutil.dll (WSERmdir). The specified procedure could not be found.

That s all well and good but I am the only user account on the PC and I am the administrator. I reformatted the Hard drive about 6 months ago and only created the 1 account and it s called Administrator and I have the correct privileges I thought.

But after some research and the advice of checking permissions I ve found a problem. When I go into the Registry Editor and into the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs and right click and select permissions I can select Allow on Full Control on all account accept the CREATOR OWNER . I find this weird as I am the only account on here. The guest account is turned off.

I ve attached what I am talking about. The problem with the permissions is that I can enable full control to all users except the CREATOR OWNER. Even when I select full control and click apply the boxes untick themselves for the creator owner. So what is the problem here? How can I get back all of my control so I can uninstall the ZA?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...yzonealarm.png

Also, something I ve just noticed. Just after I log into my account, there s ZA processes running. Both the zclient.exe and vsmon.exe and running. When I look at the CPU usage under performance the graph is up and down in a crazy fashion! It contains sharp spikes and is constantly rising and dropping very quickly. When I end these 2 processes the CPU usage graph dies down and sits on a pretty much smooth line.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Default Re: Serious Uninstall Problems & Loss of Browsers

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>gemais wrote:
    Hey.

This is an extremely annoying and so far unsolved problem I have come across on my system. I have put off posting a thread here as 90% of the time I can troubleshoot problems with my computer through searching. I can t take the hassle and anger anymore!

This problem may have something to do with the a few other problems posted before like the windows update clash. Please read the whole thread first as I ve tried numerous things recommended on this site and others!

Any and all help is appreciated!

Cheers!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notRead this Forum..VERY IMPORTANT: Please Report the details of your Problem Directly to ZA Tech Support for FREE at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (preferably withIE Browser)The more Users that ReportTheir problem directly to Tech Support, with all of their Details and what they did to try and resolve the issue, the Sooner Tech support will find a FIX for the problem..Tech Support may ask for your ZA Log Files, and tell you how to do that..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gemais Guest

Thanks for that.

So that means that at the moment all I can do is wait for a fix and in the meantime restart my PC every 10 mins or less to browse the web?

ZoneAlarm have stuffed up big time here!

I Suggest going back to ZASS Version 7.0.483.000Until the Developers come up with a Fix..Go to the following Forum Link and follow the Instructions..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=14945#M184
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gemais Guest

Thanks again, George. :-)

I did try this earlier on this morning but it seems the browser's connectivity drops out before it downloads.
    I am downloading it via torrent now so that hopefully I can install then.

Cheers

gemais Guest

This is what happens as per my original post. :-(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/noaccess.png

Thread Information