Thread: [Resolved] Updates troubles

stoone Guest

Smile [Resolved] Updates troubles

Hi all, here is my pb:
    I had the version 7.0.362fr free (the french one) installed, and a few months ago I had this message of za concerning the kb951748.
    So I upgraded to the 7.0.462. But then when I clicked on the "Check for updates" button, I still got this message concerning the KB951748 and telling me that I should get the latest version, but it redirects me to the page where the 7.0.462 version is...
    just like if I hadn't made the upgrade!
    Is it just an advert to encourage us to buy the full version?
    Then I tried the 7.0.483 version to see if it would change a thing, but here is the pb now:
    When I click on the "Check for updates" button, it says "your system is up to date"... seems cool, but the pb is, that if I choose to click again on that button, the window doesn't load anymore. I need to restart my computer to do this verification again.
    I can only check for updates once for each computer restart... was it made intentionally by za to avoid flooding their server?
    Here it is, I hope you'll read this message and answer me soon!
    Thanks
    Cordialy
    Le Stoone

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Updates troubles

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Stoone wrote:
    Hi all, here is my pb:
    I had the version 7.0.362fr free (the french one) installed, and a few months ago I had this message of za concerning the kb951748.
    So I upgraded to the 7.0.462. But then when I clicked on the "Check for updates" button, I still got this message concerning the KB951748 and telling me that I should get the latest version, but it redirects me to the page where the 7.0.462 version is...
    just like if I hadn't made the upgrade!
    Is it just an advert to encourage us to buy the full version?
    Then I tried the 7.0.483 version to see if it would change a thing, but here is the pb now:
    When I click on the "Check for updates" button, it says "your system is up to date"
    ... seems cool, but the pb is, that if I choose to click again on that button, the window doesn't load anymore. I need to restart my computer to do this verification again.
    I can only check for updates once for each computer restart... was it made intentionally by za to avoid flooding their server?
    Here it is, I hope you'll read this message and answer me soon!
    Thanks
    Cordialy
    Le Stoone

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..1.) 7.0.483.000 is the Lastest Version of ZAFree (English) Version2.) the Mulyiple Update Failure, may be due to A Corruption in yout ZA Database Configuration?

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together then

2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stoone Guest

Hi GeorgeV,
    Thank you for your support.
    I tried to reset my ZA database as you told me, but unfortunately, I still have that 'multiple update failure'
    with the 7.0.483 version.
    I really wonder where it comes from. I was thinking about an update from windows, or a registery key that i could
    have removed via Ccleaner (that I might use too often...:$). But in that case, it should have been ok after a simple reinstallation...
    So I think it might be a virus which has been on my computer for a while, but which neither AVG nor ZA could identify. I don't have any info about that virus. It was hidden in a patch for a game (that I got from a famous site that I though I could trust...):
    it was a Trojan Horse Agent.ZRU hidden in the patch named &quot;need_for_speed_underground_2_modifier&quo t;.
    Those kind of viruses are usually identified quickly by AVG. But this one was not
    I already moved it to vault a month ago, and went to an older restore point, but I still have those pbs you know.
    [I'm really angry because i care a lot about security, and I still got infected by those stuff like a newbie :'(.]
    Nevertheless, I also wanted to tell you about a problem which might be linked to this:
    A few months ago, when I had this message of ZA concerning the kb951748 issue and asking me to update the firewall, I couldn't click yes... when i did, the redirection to the page failed each time.
    I could go to the page by clicking on &quot;support and update info&quot; in the product info tab, but then the page of the 7.0.462 version wouldn't load either. I could see it only for 1 second maybe. I know it was not an Activex control pb but I don't know what it was.
    It looks like a virus doesn't it?
    The thing is that i don't know why I do not have this pb anymore. All I know is that I downloaded the 7.0.462 via CNet, installed it, and now I have the pbs you already know.
    If you know anyone having such pbs with ZA, please let me know. This thing is weird, and I wish I could get rid of these pbs soon.
    I like ZA; I tried other firewalls, but they don't satisfy me as much.
    Anyway, thx for your help.
    Cordialy
    Stoone

stoone Guest

Hi GeorgeV,
    just to let you know about how Ccleaner first identified the error linked to my pb (when I tried to update ZA for the first time and the page wouldn't load...):
    Invalid Default Icon C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\UpdClient.exe,-279 (HKCR\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon)
    What is this &quot;-279&quot; all about?
    Hope you'll have the time to read my mails and help me if possible.
    Thank you anyway,
    Good Bye.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Stoone wrote:
    Hi GeorgeV,
    just to let you know about how Ccleaner first identified the error linked to my pb (when I tried to update ZA for the first time and the page wouldn't load...):
    Invalid Default Icon C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\UpdClient.exe,-279 (HKCR\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon)
    What is this "-279" all about?
    Hope you'll have the time to read my mails and help me if possible.
    Thank you anyway,
    Good Bye.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I found that if you go to (ZA Email Protection/Main section)uncheck then recheck (or vice versa)basicmailsafe setting (email protection window), the data in the registry is changed to C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe,-279, which CCleaner won't be upset by as it's a proper path. So that is an easy, if somewhat unexpected way to correct that registry key :-)
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stoone Guest

Hi George,
    Thank you very much for your correspondance.
    I will try this soon, but for now I've been using another firewall (which I don't really like better, but I had no choice as I don't like having a firewall bugged for too long...)
    I will let you know if it worked or not, as soon as I have the time re-install ZA, or as soon as I do a 'System Restore' to the restore point where I was still using ZA... so that we can consider this subject as 'resolved' (hope so :P)
    Thanks a lot for your support
    Cordialy,
    B.M.

Thread Information