Thread: "An important ZoneAlarm security software beta update is available"

exzauser Guest

Default "An important ZoneAlarm security software beta update is available"

As an act of desperation after the update debacle with the first v8 of ZASS (I've been a member of the silent majority up till now), I ended up installing the v8 fixup beta that came out later. Fortunately, that seemed to work well on my system. However, I'm now getting a pop-up that says, "An important ZoneAlarm security software beta update is available. Would you like to download the update now?" So, I selected "Update Now" and hit "OK". Silly me. I was taken to http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/zabeta.html, which states, "The beta program is currently closed. We will inform you when a new beta is available in the future."

My congratulations go to Larry, Curly, Moe, and all the other fine folks at CheckPoint for poking me in both eyes as a way to thank me for becoming a ZoneAlarm guinea pig - that was quite an artistic touch. ;-)

So, what's the best thing to do at this point? I'm running 8.0.058 of ZASS. Since it seems to work well, do I dare uninstall it and reinstall something else? - especially in light of the report below from dialtech that 8.0.059 is a problem. Or, should I just keep selecting "Remind me Later: [60] day(s)" until my subscription runs out?...

knew-before-I-asked-ly y'rs,

(soon to be) ExZaUser

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: "An important ZoneAlarm security software beta update is available"

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ExZAUser wrote:

So, what's the best thing to do at this point? I'm running 8.0.058 of ZASS. Since it seems to work well, do I dare uninstall it and reinstall something else? - especially in light of the report below from dialtech that 8.0.059 is a problem. Or, should I just keep selecting "Remind me Later: [60] day(s)" until my subscription runs out?...

knew-before-I-asked-ly y'rs,

(soon to be) ExZaUser

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Here is the Best Thing for you to do as outlined on the original BETA Sign up page..1.) Download the New ZASS Release from here..http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html2.) Clean Uninstall the Beta...Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

1.) Download a Current Copy of Zone Alarm Security Suite from
    ZA website in the release history section.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2.) Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"
    3.) Reboot Computer to Remove Zone Alarm drivers from Memory..
    4.) Temporarily shut down any other AV/AS Security programs that May Conflict with ZA Install
    5.) Reboot Computer6..) Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    - Reboot

Now Start again in the Safe mode and delete these files in the Windows Directory:

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

Now Reboot

Using something like this Freeware CCleaner &lt;--- http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
    , will help do the cleanup as well on both the Hard drive and the Registry .

Now Re-install the ZA program now. Accept the Default Settings, Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet zone and After Reboot Update AV/As and check your Firewall/Program Control settings..Good Luck..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:961698809
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:961698809
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

raideron Guest

I'd do as George say's...
    I just D/L'd ZASS 8.0.059.000(this Morning)_
    from the first version 8( forgot the v.#.. I'mon the Vista/Diferent Security program
    now) But the latest ZASS version update has\improved(normal, I think) my only problem that I had.So all seem to be good, that is as of this morning, have not started the XP/ZASS.But I would go for the latest update..

exzauser Guest

Thanks, GeorgeV. I'm really glad that nice folks like you provide prompt and comprehensive support here, since the only thing I ever got from Check Point about my problem was a useless form letter. And even that took them a week to send - you'd think they'd at least be smart enough to instantly send out a form letter that says, &quot;Go to our forum to get the support from other users that we're never going to give you.&quot; (There's every evidence that Check Point is losing money on this whole nutty &quot;Zone Alarm&quot; thing, so I think the kindest thing for us previously loyal Zone Alarm users to do is to take our money-losing business elsewhere. ;-)

It's been weeks since I elected to become a guinea pig...er, I mean &quot;beta tester&quot;...so I guess I'd forgotten that they told me back then to do all that stuff you listed - glad you jotted it down. But why didn't Larry, Curly, and Moe at Check Point just reiterate that at http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/zabeta.html before they sent me there?...

axiomatic-ly y'rs,

(soon to be) ExZaUser

Your Welcome, I'm glad I was able to be of some Help..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information