Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOOONG WinXP Bootup with ZASS 7.0.483

carlj Guest

Default LOOONG WinXP Bootup with ZASS 7.0.483

When I upgraded to 8.0.020 (when it was first released), I experienced all the problems related to that version (and documented in this forum), most notably the extremely long boot and shut down/reboot
    times (I'm using Win XP Pro, SP 3).
    Since the degraded performance of 8.0.020 was completely unacceptable to me, I did a complete CLEAN UNINSTALL (using the directions found in this forum) followed by a clean install of my previous version 7.0.483.
    However, I am STILL experiencing the same LONG computer boot/start times (up to 4 minutes after the Windows "welcome" screen appears) -- the long shut down times experienced with 8.0.020 do NOT occur anymore with 7.0.483 re-installed.

I have found that if I change the ZA preferences and un-check the option to load ZA at startup, then the computer will boot in a normal amount of time (about 1 minute) -- the same results if I completely uninstall ZA and boot/reboot.
    Loading ZA at start-up is definitely creating the extremely long boot up times!
    (I also tried turning off the On Access anti-virus scanning and rebooting, but that had no affect on the long boot times.)
    Obviously, whatever 8.0.020 changed when it was installed was NOT cleared in the "clean uninstall" -- it is still present and affecting the way 7.0.483 loads.

Any suggestions on how to completely restore 7.0.483 performance so it can load at startup and not slow down the boot process?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: LOOONG WinXP Bootup with ZASS 7.0.483

Hi!you should try to boot your system only with ZA and MS standard services.This way:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 10-19-2008 09:58 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

carlj Guest

OK.
    Did as you suggested and the computer boots OK.
    Does this suggest the problem is a "conflict" between ZA and another program that gets loaded during boot?
    What next?
    5 minute bootup times with ZA installed is completely unacceptable.

Again, this whole thing started after I installed and uninstalled 8.0.020 -- everything worked fine with 7.0.483 prior to that event!

Hi!
    if ZA work correctly then there is something else conflicting with ZA.
    If ZA was working correctly before then some other software installed after is creating problems.
    Malware can also affect boot time. Did you check your system for malware?
    Did you update any software?
    Are you sure your system is not loading old or corrupted drivers?
    Is your registry cleaned?

Check that you don't have any errors of drivers failing to load at boot causing the delay in conjunction with ZA.

Go to start --> Run --> type eventvwr --> double click on "system" and review the log.
    Any services taking a long time to start? (see timing between one and another service)

Check you are not infected by malware:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787

Check that your system is in good conditions and registry cleaned:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim

Slowly put back items in the MSCONFIG (by group of 3-4 items) and try to identify the culprit.
    Start from the 'services' and then move to the 'startup' items.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

carlj Guest

To answer some of your questions in the previous post, no other software has been installed/uninstalled in a long while -- EXCEPT for the install/uninstall of 8.0.020 -- that's when the problem(s) began.
    The registry is clean -- have been using a registry cleaner for years regularly.

I've been away on a business trip since Sunday this week and was having another family member perform the steps you outlined in previous posts (the affected computer is at home).
    I'm having doubts about their ability to perform the steps correctly, so will attend to the troubleshooting myself when I return home Thursday -- will start from the beginning (first reply to my post) booting only with ZA and go from there.
    Will advise via a post here what I discover.

Thanks and stay tuned!!

You're welcome!

Sometime slow booting may be resolved by reset of settings or by complete manual removal of ZA and reinstall.
    The complete manual removal is needed when for whatever reason files in ZA are locked and do not get deleted via the standard procedure.

Cheers,
    Fax

carlj Guest

OK -- I'm home now and able to conduct the troubleshooting myself.
    After several long hours this morning of rebooting while running Selective Startup (msconfig), I seem to have found the problem -- ZA is "conflicting" with Microsoft Shell Hardware Detection.

I began the process by first running msconfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup -- all rebooted normal.

I then selected
    msconfig Selective Startup -- chose to process the SYSTEM.INI file, process the WIN.INI file, load ALL (only)
    Microsoft Services in the Services TAB (deselected ALL non-Microsoft services), and deselected ALL items in the Startup TAB.
    The computer again rebooted normally.

I then ran msconfig again with the same previous Selective Startup setup, but this time I also selected True Vector Internet Monitor in the Services TAB and zlclient in the Startup TAB.
    The computer then took excessively long to reboot.
    So now it's an issue between ZA and Microsoft services.

I then began the process of deselecting Microsoft services from the Services TAB (5 at a time) and rebooting.
    I finally narrowed the problem down to the Shell Hardware Detection service.
    With Shell Hardware Detection and True Vector Internet Monitor selected in the Services TAB, along with zlclient selected in the Startup TAB, reboot is excessively long.
    Deselecting Shell Hardware Detection while leaving True Vector Internet Monitor selected in the Services TAB and zlclient selected in the Startup TAB resulted in a normal reboot time.
    Additionally, selecting ALL services in the Services TAB and deselecting True Vector Internet Monitor (in the Services TAB) and deselecting all Startup items in the Startup TAB (i.e. deselecting zlclient)
    resulted in a normal reboot time.

I also found that changing msconfig back to Normal Startup AND deselecting "Load Zone Alarm Security Suite" in the Overview | Preferences tab of ZASS will also allow a reboot to be accomplished in a normal amount of time.
    However, doing this will not reload ZASS on reboot (as expected) -- this must be done manually (i.e. from Start | Programs).
    It's also interesting to note that after rebooting with the option "Load Zone Alarm Security Suite" deselected in ZASS, no Windows warnings to the effect that the firewall/anti-virus is turned off appear during/after reboot even though ZASS is not loaded at startup.

Anyway, now that I seem to have found the cause of the problem, what steps can I take to remedy it?
    I'd like ZASS to load as it used to during a normal boot/reboot and without the excessively long boot time.

Remember, this problem began only after I installed/uninstalled 8.0.020 (because of the problems associated with this version), then reinstalled 7.0.483.
    For whatever reason, the relationship between ZASS and Microsoft Shell Hardware Detection was changed in the process.

As an aside, it's also interesting to note that my laptop computer (which is basically configured identically to my desktop) does not have this issue -- I never attempted the upgrade to ZA 8.0.020 on my laptop and therefore everything works as it should (and like my desktop used to).

Thanks for your advice.

carlj Guest

OK -- I'm home now and able to conduct the troubleshooting myself.
    After several long hours this morning of rebooting while running Selective Startup (msconfig), I seem to have found the problem -- ZA is "conflicting" with Microsoft Shell Hardware Detection.

I began the process by first running msconfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup -- all rebooted normal.

I then selected
    msconfig Selective Startup -- chose to process the SYSTEM.INI file, process the WIN.INI file, load ALL (only)
    Microsoft Services in the Services TAB (deselected ALL non-Microsoft services), and deselected ALL items in the Startup TAB.
    The computer again rebooted normally.

I then ran msconfig again with the same previous Selective Startup setup, but this time I also selected True Vector Internet Monitor in the Services TAB and zlclient in the Startup TAB.
    The computer then took excessively long to reboot.
    So now it's an issue between ZA and Microsoft services.

I then began the process of deselecting Microsoft services from the Services TAB (5 at a time) and rebooting.
    I finally narrowed the problem down to the Shell Hardware Detection service.
    With Shell Hardware Detection and True Vector Internet Monitor selected in the Services TAB, along with zlclient selected in the Startup TAB, reboot is excessively long.
    Deselecting Shell Hardware Detection while leaving True Vector Internet Monitor selected in the Services TAB and zlclient selected in the Startup TAB resulted in a normal reboot time.
    Additionally, selecting ALL services in the Services TAB and deselecting True Vector Internet Monitor (in the Services TAB) and deselecting all Startup items in the Startup TAB (i.e. deselecting zlclient)
    resulted in a normal reboot time.

I also found that changing msconfig back to Normal Startup AND deselecting "Load Zone Alarm Security Suite" in the Overview | Preferences tab of ZASS will also allow a reboot to be accomplished in a normal amount of time.
    However, doing this will not reload ZASS on reboot (as expected) -- this must be done manually (i.e. from Start | Programs).
    It's also interesting to note that after rebooting with the option "Load Zone Alarm Security Suite" deselected in ZASS, no Windows warnings to the effect that the firewall/anti-virus is turned off appear during/after reboot even though ZASS is not loaded at startup.

Anyway, now that I seem to have found the cause of the problem, what steps can I take to remedy it?
    I'd like ZASS to load as it used to during a normal boot/reboot and without the excessively long boot time.

Remember, this problem began only after I installed/uninstalled 8.0.020 (because of the problems associated with this version), then reinstalled 7.0.483.
    For whatever reason, the relationship between ZASS and Microsoft Shell Hardware Detection was changed in the process.

As an aside, it's also interesting to note that my laptop computer (which is basically configured identically to my desktop) does not have this issue -- I never attempted the upgrade to ZA 8.0.020 on my laptop and therefore everything works as it should (and like my desktop used to).

Thanks for your advice.

Hi!well, not start the difficult part... why should a MS service conflict with ZA?Given the nature of MS service this may lead to think there is anhardware problem...But my technical knowledge on MS services is limited and I am not really ableto suggest you something smart apart from refreshing the OS.May be the MS driver got corruted incidentally at the same time of installing ZA?Have you tried to see under the system event for services taking too long to start or services failing to start?Go to start --> Run --> type eventvwr --> double click on "system" and review the log.Finally I would try to contact ZA technical support and report in detail the issue...May be they have a better idea? Not sure they will but at least you will report in detail the problem.Here: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

carlj Guest

Thanks for your continued suggestions.
    The system events log does not suggest anything taking too long to start or failing to start during the startup process
    I just submitted my findings to ZA Tech Support via the link you provided.
    If they come up with a solution, I will post here -- don't look for anything too soon as I will be away for a week and unable to implement anything Tech Support may suggest until I return home again.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information