Thread: Norton AntiVirus 2009 and ZoneAlarm Pro version 8.0.059.000

sbecquer Guest

Default Norton AntiVirus 2009 and ZoneAlarm Pro version 8.0.059.000

Hi Everybody,
    I have read in the forums at dslreports.com that ZAP 8.0.059.000 resolves the conflict with NAV 2009. Can anybody confirm/deny this? And does ZAP needs to be uninstalled before installing NAV 2009?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

tasman Guest

Default Re: Norton AntiVirus 2009 and ZoneAlarm Pro version 8.0.059.000

I have been running ZA Pro and Norton AV 2009 for a few months and have had no problems what so ever . No need to uninstall ZA , but I would go option and turn off ZA at startup
    and reboot and install Norton . Don't
    forget to turn ZA at startup back on after install of NortonGood luckTasman

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>SBecquer wrote:
    Hi Everybody,I have read in the forums at dslreports.com that ZAP 8.0.059.000 resolves the conflict with NAV 2009. Can anybody confirm/deny this? And does ZAP needs to be uninstalled before installing NAV 2009?Thanks in advance,Steve

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

<HR>I use ZAPro on one of my Computers but I use A Vast and not NAV..However, Another NAV2009 users said that Symantec Tech Support told him that Nav2009 included an inbound Firewall feature? if so then that would conflict with ZAP Firewall?http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=82077
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    </BLOCKQUOTE>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sbecquer Guest

Thanks Tasman,
    I'll give it a try.
    Steve

tasman Guest

GeorgeV , The worm protection which is a form of firewall in past Norton versions has been taken out of the 2009 version so there is no firewall in the version 2009 . Thought you may want to know in case someone else asksTasman

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>tasman wrote:
    GeorgeV , The worm protection which is a form of firewall in past Norton versions has been taken out of the 2009 version so there is no firewall in the version 2009 . Thought you may want to know in case someone else asksTasman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks..Here is the Moderators comment on the issue..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=82099#M82099
    GeorgeV

rccombatpilot Guest

Hey all ............. I just did my update to Nortons 09.
    I did uninstall my ZA before installing the update.
    I talked with a person with poor english skills from India from Nortons who was of no help.
    Rebooted and everything was good.
    Went to ZA and reinstalled it.
    It asked to reboot the computer, I did and now it will load up to the desktop and show all of my icons then it freezes up.
    I tried to reboot 3 times with the same results.
    I am on Win XP and have little knowledge of what to do next before I take it to the Geeks for help
    LOL.
    So any ideas?
    I don't know how to startup in a safe mode to uninstall ZA and try it again.

Thanks

sbecquer Guest

Nortons Knowledge Base article
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...N&amp;ln=en_US
    states that the solution is to uninstall ZA.
    I'd be more inclined to uninstall NAV, there are better AV solutions out there.
    Steve

desalk Guest

Spent 2 hrs on Chat line with Norton to resolve problem of computer locking up.

No luck.
    Suggested rolling back to Norton 2008.Windows XP Home w/ Service pack 3, Zone Alarm Pro 5 (yes, 5,
    it works fine), Spyware Dr.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>desalk wrote:
    Spent 2 hrs on Chat line with Norton to resolve problem of computer locking up.No luck. Suggested rolling back to Norton 2008.Windows XP Home w/ Service pack 3, Zone Alarm Pro 5 (yes, 5,it works fine), Spyware Dr.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It seems that Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA. There is a known issue that PC Tools is investigating where the Spyware Doctor causes excess CPU usage for vsmon.exe. This was really never a big deal for me, but apparently with the newest ZA update, this conflict has risen to a new level. If I disable Process Guard then ZA functions normally.
    Please note that ZAFree for XP does not always play nice with many security tools. For example, Norton,McAfee,ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&amp;D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active,however you may want to disable the NAV 2008 or NAV 2009 Internet Worm Protection as it acts like a mini inbound Firewall that will Conflict with ZA Firewall.

To troubleshoot ZAFree issues it is highly recommendedthat youremove all the above and install them back on (if you really need to) after your ZAFreeis installed and configured and runningas it should. If you have not installed any of the above ensure that NO left overs areon the system (they can conflict with the ZA install).Here is another tip:Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. Here is a Clue for Users of ZAFree for WinXP..all version of ZAFree for Win XP ever since the First ZAFree Ver. 7.0 &amp; Ver. 8.0 contain the full Trial of ZA Security Suite.. 44.6Mb, nearly three times bigger than the original ZAFree Ver 6.0,this is a Marketing Ploy to offer FRee users a chance to try the 15 day trial of the Full Security Suite, even though durring the Install process you can Decline the Free Trial of the Security Suite, the fact that the ZA Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware install modules are included in the ZAFree Install package will Conflict with any other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware that you have pre-installed before installing ZAFree .
    GeorgeV

Thread Information