Thread: Why does it take many hours to restore security settings?

rolliel Guest

Default Why does it take many hours to restore security settings?

I have been a ZA user for many years, and have grown accustomed to two very aggregating problems:1) I must uninstall ZA temporarily when installing many other products2) The restore security settings process takes a very long timeI am currently using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 8.0.059.000. I just had to do an uninstall/reinstall of this suite to get around an incompatibility with Symantec's Norton SystemWorks Premier (version 11). The backup of my security settings went very quickly, but the restore process is still not complete after about ten hours--this is the longest time I can recall having this process take. Why does it take SO long? Is there any way to speed it up? Are there other programs which are likely to exacerbate this problem? (I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3; I
    exited Windows Defender and Spy Sweeper a few hours ago, but NAV is still running).

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Why does it take many hours to restore security settings?

Hi!its normal that restore settings take sometime but not hours.May be your ZA settings are corrupted and you are in a loop.Golden rule to happily keep your system clean and fast?Do not install overlapping tools especially security tools.Norton Systemworks will conflict with ZASS you cannot run two antivirus at the same time.Instead of more protection you will get the two fighting for resources and blocking each other (i.e. less protection).There are better tools to clean your system or to have a second opinion on spyware,To clean your registry and the system you can use ccleaner, its free and solid.http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslimFor a second opinion on spyware you can download free tools like MBAM and Supersntispyware. See here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>RollieL wrote:
    I have been a ZA user for many years, and have grown accustomed to two very aggregating problems:1) I must uninstall ZA temporarily when installing many other products2) The restore security settings process takes a very long timeI am currently using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 8.0.059.000. I just had to do an uninstall/reinstall of this suite to get around an incompatibility with Symantec's Norton SystemWorks Premier (version 11). The backup of my security settings went very quickly, but the restore process is still not complete after about ten hours--this is the longest time I can recall having this process take. Why does it take SO long? Is there any way to speed it up? Are there other programs which are likely to exacerbate this problem? (I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3; Iexited Windows Defender and Spy Sweeper a few hours ago, but NAV is still running).

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with Guru Fax..1.) Security Suite generally means all the Basic Security to protect your Computer..
    2.) when you add competitive Security Programs, you end up with Less Security, not more security..a.) some Computer Users thinkhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better? http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1mad-1.gif

b.) have you properly un-installed any previous Firewall and/or Anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. 3.) I registered and used "Symantec's Norton SystemWorks " for many years, but Quit using Symantec's Norton SystemWorks Premier (version 7) whenIfound it was a Resouce HOG, and Slowed down my Computer, Once I Delete Norton System Works, my Computer ran much Faster..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:962109069
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 10-25-2008 07:33 AM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

rolliel Guest

A bit of clarification:
    I am aware of, and in agreement with, the &quot;Only One!&quot; principle. To the best of my knowledge, I am in absolute compliance with it with regard to firewall and antivirus--it just happens that I am using these components from different packages (due mainly to what I had become comfortable with years ago). I have Windows firewall turned off; I have the ZASS virus protection turned off as well--i.e., I believe that my only firewall software is a component of ZASS, and that my only antivirus software is a component of SystemWorks. I may have duplication of some other malware (spyware, etc.) protection, however.

Hi!yes, thats exactly the same.. drivers and executable will still be loaded in memory and create problems even if you turn them off from the interface.If you want to use ZA then choose the version only with the firewall (ZAPRO).Cheers,Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

rolliel Guest

It appears that in the short term (until I reassess what security programs I want to jettison--and actually do so) I have locked myself out of ever again restoring my ZA security settings. The restore operation has been running for about 36 hours. Since the ZA restore progress window gives no hint as to % done, I can't guess whether it will complete in the next minute, in 2010, or never. When I finish writing this note, I will restart this computer and just start to build the security settings from scratch again.
    I have been buying the suites, rather than the single-purpose programs, because marketing ploys by the various manufacturers have made the suites usually cheaper to purchase than the single-purpose programs. Outright purchases of new versions is nearly always cheaper than renewal of current licenses. False economy?
    It may be relevant that the computer in question is RAM-poor (and nearing the end of its useful lifetime). It is limited by design to 0.5 GB of RAM.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my problem.

Rollie

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>RollieL wrote:
    It appears that in the short term (until I reassess what security programs I want to jettison--and actually do so) I have locked myself out of ever again restoring my ZA security settings. The restore operation has been running for about 36 hours. Since the ZA restore progress window gives no hint as to % done, I can't guess whether it will complete in the next minute, in 2010, or never. When I finish writing this note, I will restart this computer and just start to build the security settings from scratch again.I have been buying the suites, rather than the single-purpose programs, because marketing ploys by the various manufacturers have made the suites usually cheaper to purchase than the single-purpose programs. Outright purchases of new versions is nearly always cheaper than renewal of current licenses. False economy?It may be relevant that the computer in question is RAM-poor (and nearing the end of its useful lifetime). It is limited by design to 0.5 GB of RAM.Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my problem. Rollie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..I have three older computers that I have Retired, that are too antiquated to keep up with the increasing Size of Windows XP and Programs that run on it..
    It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    1.) But you maybe right about the age of your old computer.. The price of Progress and keeping up with the Growing size of Windows and New Programs?2.) another reason could be If it has been a while since that HD has been Optimized or Cleaned up, or has very limited Free Space..3.) you could try installing an older version of ZASS or ZAFree on that older computer..http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.htmlhttp://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmlGood luck..
    GeorgeV

rolliel Guest

The primary hard disk should not be a problem source. Windows Explorer reports that it has 51.9 GB of free space. I have a relatively recent version of DiskKeeper running at all times, purportedly defragmenting it whenever it finds the system idle enough to grab the needed resources.

Rollie

Please Contact ZoneAlarm Tech Support Directly and Give them the Details of your problem, and that your using Diskkeeper..
    Click here for ZA Support (use IE Browser)
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 1st, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
    GeorgeV

Thread Information