Thread: WinXP Pro SP3 will not start after installation of ZA 8.0.059

gibster Guest

Default WinXP Pro SP3 will not start after installation of ZA 8.0.059

I tried installing 8.0.059 on 2 WinXP Pro SP3 computers here at home about 2 months ago and in both cases the computers would not start after installation.

I thought I'd try again yesterday in the hopes that what ever was causing the problem had been fixed in ZA. Same identical problem. After installing the latest version the computer will get the initial splash screen and then the screen will go black and that's it. Nothing else happens no matter how long one waits.

I have tried as one user wrote doing a complete /clean uninstall of the previous version, restarting the computer and doing a fresh install. It makes no difference. Same identical problems on both a desktop and a laptop computer.

I can get into safe mode and uninstall 8.0.059 and then the computers will start up fine. So I have gone back to ZA Security Suite Version 7.0.483.000 and things are back to normal.

Both computers running WinXP Pro SP3 with all the latest MS updates.

Anyone have any new ideas?

Thanks

gib

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: WinXP Pro SP3 will not start after installation of ZA 8.0.059

Do you have any other security software installed (Norton, McAfee, Spybot, etc.)? ZoneAlarm doesn't play well with many of these. Even if you disable them while installing ZoneAlarm, they may still have services or kernel-level routines loaded in the background which can interfere. As many of the gurus have repeatedly mentioned, only ONE active anti-virus, anti-spyware, or firewall.

gibster Guest

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    Do you have any other security software installed (Norton, McAfee, Spybot, etc.)? ZoneAlarm doesn't play well with many of these. Even if you disable them while installing ZoneAlarm, they may still have services or kernel-level routines loaded in the background which can interfere. As many of the gurus have repeatedly mentioned, only ONE active anti-virus, anti-spyware, or firewall.
    <hr></blockquote>

No other AV, AntiSpyWare, or Firewall products installed.

hammernu Guest

Here is the correct sequence of steps for a clean uninstall:

1) Overview &gt; Preferences, uncheck &quot;Load ZoneAlarm ... at startup&quot;

2) Reboot

3) Allow ZoneAlarm to do a clean uninstall:

Start &gt; All Programs &gt; ZoneAlarm, right-click Uninstall, select Properties;

Add &quot; /clean&quot; (without quotes: &lt;space&gt;/clean) to the end of the Target field;

After adding &quot; /clean&quot;, the Target field will look exactly like this:

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean

4) Uninstall ZoneAlarm:

Start &gt; All Programs &gt; ZoneAlarm &gt; Uninstall

5) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

(Begin after the 2nd *REBOOT in the webpage)

6) Run CCleaner

www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloading-slim

7) Install ZoneAlarm

8) Anti-virus / Anti-spyware &gt; Main &gt; Update Now

If you don't do steps 1 and 2 before the uninstall, TrueVector will be running and could cause problems.Step 5 allows you to delete any remaining files, directories, and registry entries.Step 6, though not necessary, will clean up your system and allow for a successful install.

gibster Guest

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    Here is the correct sequence of steps for a clean uninstall:

1) Overview &gt; Preferences, uncheck &quot;Load ZoneAlarm ... at startup&quot;

2) Reboot

3) Allow ZoneAlarm to do a clean uninstall:

Start &gt; All Programs &gt; ZoneAlarm, right-click Uninstall, select Properties;

Add &quot; /clean&quot; (without quotes: /clean) to the end of the Target field;

After adding &quot; /clean&quot;, the Target field will look exactly like this:

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean

4) Uninstall ZoneAlarm:

Start &gt; All Programs &gt; ZoneAlarm &gt; Uninstall

5) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

(Begin after the 2nd *REBOOT in the webpage)

6) Run CCleaner

www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloading-slim

7) Install ZoneAlarm

8) Anti-virus / Anti-spyware &gt; Main &gt; Update Now

If you don't do steps 1 and 2 before the uninstall, TrueVector will be running and could cause problems.Step 5 allows you to delete any remaining files, directories, and registry entries.Step 6, though not necessary, will clean up your system and allow for a successful install.
    <hr></blockquote>

Done all of the above last night before your post, and exactly the same problem. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I'm now back on ZASS 7.0XX and will remain there until my subscription for 3 PC's runs out in 125 or so days. At that point I'll give it one more try and if it fails I'll be looking at some other product. For over 10 years now I've been extremely happy with Zone Alarm but I don't understand how they can release a product that causes so many problems for so many people if you believe what you read in the forums. You would think that after more then 2 months the issues would be resolved.

I suppose I could drag out an old laptop, do a fresh install of XP Pro w/SP3 and all security updates and then see if the same issues happen as I have on the other 3 computers. I'm beginning to think though it's not worth the time anymore.

Thanks

gib

hammernu Guest

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get the problem resolved. Version 7 is still a good option.

Thread Information