Thread: I am running Windows XP with SP3 and have downloaded the...

leafontree Guest

Default I am running Windows XP with SP3 and have downloaded the...

I am running Windows XP with SP3 and have downloaded the most recent update after the program (Zonealarm) prompted me to do so. I noticed that the tray icon did not appear. I clicked on the program icon, but nothing happened. I clicked on the program icon in the start menu/programs but nothing happened. I checked the task manager and zlclient.exe appears under the processes list. However, vsmon.exe appears, then disappears and continues to do so, appearing in the list at various places and then disappearing again at an approximate frequency of about one second. I decided to uninstall the program from the start menu but was unable to. I got a warning: "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrator's account". My account is an administrator's account. After clicking OK, I got another message: "COULD NOT LOAD DLL LIBRARY
    E:\DOCUME~1\PETERL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\vsutil.dll[WSERmdir]
    The specified procedure could not be found".I used system restore to a date previous to the update, but to no avail. I cannot open the program although Windows security says it is running, and I cannot uninstall it. In addition, since I have saved the update files, I clicked on
    a previous update thinking that it would install and solve the problem, but I got the same warnings as I have typed above. The
    last update was a problem also and I could not run the program, but in that case, system restore worked. I must say that I don't enjoy having to waste a lot of time on this, but I would still, of course, be grateful for any help in dealing with this.
    I cannot access the program to find the exact product name, but it doesn't have the virus component and is certainly not free.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition

findley Guest

Default Re: I am running Windows XP with SP3 and have downloaded the...

<blockquote><hr>leafontree wrote:
    I am running Windows XP with SP3 and have downloaded the most recent update after the program (Zonealarm) prompted me to do so. I noticed that the tray icon did not appear. I clicked on the program icon, but nothing happened. I clicked on the program icon in the start menu/programs but nothing happened. I checked the task manager and zlclient.exe appears under the processes list. However, vsmon.exe appears, then disappears and continues to do so, appearing in the list at various places and then disappearing again at an approximate frequency of about one second. I decided to uninstall the program from the start menu but was unable to. I got a warning: &quot;You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrator's account&quot;. My account is an administrator's account. After clicking OK, I got another message: &quot;COULD NOT LOAD DLL LIBRARY
    E:\DOCUME~1\PETERL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\vsutil.dll[WSERmdir]
    The specified procedure could not be found&quot;.I used system restore to a date previous to the update, but to no avail. I cannot open the program although Windows security says it is running, and I cannot uninstall it. In addition, since I have saved the update files, I clicked on
    a previous update thinking that it would install and solve the problem, but I got the same warnings as I have typed above. The
    last update was a problem also and I could not run the program, but in that case, system restore worked. I must say that I don't enjoy having to waste a lot of time on this, but I would still, of course, be grateful for any help in dealing with this.
    I cannot access the program to find the exact product name, but it doesn't have the virus component and is certainly not free.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition

<hr></blockquote>leafontree,
    See Guru fax's instructions in this thread:
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=82384
    Findley

leafontree Guest

The guru fax instructions start out with &quot;remove ZA from the add/remove programs&quot;. However, as I stated, I cannot do this since I get an error message. I would think the first thing I should do would be as the guru has stated, remove the program, but if this is impossible, what should I do instead?

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>leafontree wrote:
    The guru fax instructions start out with &quot;remove ZA from the add/remove programs&quot;. However, as I stated, I cannot do this since I get an error message. I would think the first thing I should do would be as the guru has stated, remove the program, but if this is impossible, what should I do instead?
    <hr></blockquote>leafontree,
    Try
    booting into Safe Mode and then following the instructions for Zone Alarm Uninstall:
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=82384
    Help, if you need it, for starting in safe mode here:
    http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml
    Findley

Thread Information