Thread: ZASS 8.0 Upgrade Clarification for XP SP2

steelsox Guest

Default ZASS 8.0 Upgrade Clarification for XP SP2

Just so I am absolutely on the same page, I believe I have read that this new ZASS 8.0 upgrade being offered REQUIRES my XP systems (one is Home, the main one is Pro) to be on SP3. Am I correct in that assessment?

That is a problem as I have no intention of moving to SP3 until the bleeding has stopped on the MS end...will the current 8.02 version be supported in the short-term?

Also, one last "newbie" question: I see that I should uncheck the load ZA at startup, boot down and then boot up to run the install. Obviously, I am now running without any protection and I want to know if the installation will be done to completion if I remove my Net wire?

Thanks in advance for the clarification and help on this very serious matter...I swear, I have spent more time "protecting" my PC than actually using it for enjoyment. Since I don't get paid for my two PCs worth of fun, I am starting to think an Apple is the way to go just to have my life back! Okay, rant over...LOL! Enjoy the day or evening...depending on where you are!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by steelsox on 10-30-2008 07:50 PM

Default Re: ZASS 8.0 Upgrade Clarification for XP SP2

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>steelsox wrote:
    Just so I am absolutely on the same page, I believe I have read that this new ZASS 8.0 upgrade being offered REQUIRES my XP systems (one is Home, the main one is Pro) to be on SP3. Am I correct in that assessment?

That is a problem as I have no intention of moving to SP3 until the bleeding has stopped on the MS end...will the current 8.02 version be supported in the short-term?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by steelsox on 10-30-2008 07:50 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here is the Official Requirements for Version 8.0..http://www.zonealarm.com/store/catal...ss/sys_req.jsp

<B class=headblack2>System Requirements for all other ZoneAlarm Products:[/B]Vista (32-bit): <UL><LI>Pentium III 800 MHz or higher <LI>Minimum system RAM: 512 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]Windows XP Operating System: <UL><LI>Pentium III 450 MHz or higher <LI>XP Service Packs 2 and 3 <LI>Minimum system RAM: 128 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------</LI>[/list]ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:962501975
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4785
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 10-31-2008 11:55 AM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>steelsox wrote:
    I see that I should uncheck the load ZA at startup, boot down and then boot up to run the install. Obviously, I am now running without any protection and I want to know if the installation will be done to completion if I remove my Net wire?
    </blockquote>

You do not have to have an active internet connection to install the ZA product; in fact, it would be dangerous to do so with a live connection if you're not careful, especially if your network doesn't operate behind a router, so I would recommend unplugging it in any case. I always unplug my internet cable when I uninstall/install ZA and other security products because I don't want to mess with enabling Windows Firewall, etc. in the interim. If, during installation, it asks you to register and all that, you can enter the info then or later after rebooting (it won't actually send the info until you later go online), when you are sure that ZA is up and running and configured like you like. You can go ahead and enter your email address and Program Key when it asks for it, or it may come up as a trial version until you do. Before I reboot that first time, I open the ZA control panel and put the checkmark back in &quot;Load ZA at Startup&quot;. You can open the panel by manually launching ZA by START|All Programs|Zonealarm|Zonealarm Security. I don't remember for sure, but the installation program may also ask you specifically &quot;Do you want to run Zonealarm now?&quot; If it does, you can just say &quot;yes&quot;, it will open it then, too.

Once it has rebooted, I look to be sure that ZA started properly and that the ZA icon is in the system tray at the bottom of my screen, and that my ZA control panel is configured like I want it. I then plug in my internet cable and once again make sure everything is working--that my network was identified correctly and placed correctly into the correct zone. I would then register the product (if I didn't during install), let it update the virus and/or spyware definitions, etc. If you're doing a full uninstall of the old version and new install of the new version, the first bootup will take a noticeably long time because ZA is analyzing all of your Windows startup programs and services and anything you have running in the background and configuring the program permissions. Don't give up. I had to wait 3-4 minutes the first boot, but now it boots up in 20 seconds or so. It will depend how many programs you have starting at bootup.

As an aside, I have had SP3 for WinXP Home for 4 months with no problem. It seems from what I've read that people running SP2 who have been doing regular fastidious Windows Updates each month (automatic or manual) will already have a large proportion of the SP3 files already on their computer. So those people will have a smaller update file for SP3 than someone who downloads the whole SP3 update file and runs it. I think Windows Update will analyze your PC and download the proper size upgrade file for you, consisting mainly of the SP3 specific files that were not in any of the Windows upgrades. When WinXP SP3 is fully installed, it has its own separate entry in the ADD/REMOVE programs list under Control Panel. I'll shut up now

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 10-31-2008 02:59 AM

steelsox Guest

Thanks so much for the reply...I am pretty good about the checking part but was always unclear about the installation as some products require a connection, so I am relieved to know I can install with my cable out. Also, thanks for sharing your XP3 experiences. I am very much up to date on the patches, but my laptop is in a high-risk group (64-bit HP w/ AMD chipset)...but that laptop is not much more than a paperweight with how bad it operates, so I might as well go ahead on that one!

Thanks again for taking time to help.

steelsox Guest

Thanks so much. I had read in a post yesterday that I had to have SP3, hence my clarification question as I thought ZA would work on either service pack.

Take care and thanks again.

Your Welcome..
    GeorgeV

Charles_B Guest

------- WHEN REPLYING, PLEASE TYPE YOUR TEXT ABOVE THIS LINE --------&gt;

Hello Charles,

Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.

I understand that you want to know if the latest update is compatible with XP SP2. I
    apologize for any inconvenience
    that this issue may be causing you.

Yes you can use the 8.0.059 version with SP2.

If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like further assistance on this
    issue, please reply to this email. By
    replying and leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me. If
    you have a separate issue you
    would like assistance with, please submit a new request using the website at http://www.zo
    nealarm.com/tsform .

Thank you for choosing ZoneAlarm,
    Charlie
    Technical Service
    ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software

================================================== ==
    To Contact Technical Support again regarding this issue, simply reply to this e-mail and
    type your text above the line at the top of this e-mail.
    Be sure to leave the subject line unchanged.

----------------------------------------------------
    YOUR CASE DETAILS
    Case Number: 669298
    Case Assigned to: Zone Labs Technical Support

In that case go ahead and try Version 8.0.059 with SP2..If you have any problems, Please Report the details Directly back to Tech Support via the Tech Support Email instructions..
    GeorgeV

Charles_B Guest

Did a clean uninstall,it when with no problems or difficulties except for one minor glitch.Didn't disable Windows Firewall.Had to go to Security Center and manually turn off Windows Firewall so it would show Zone Alarm under Firewall On.Other than that working great.

Charles_B Guest

Windows XP Service Pack 2 life cycle or supported by Microsoft till July 10 2010

Thread Information