Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone Alarm Pro upgrade/uninstall/install issues

conceptor Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro upgrade/uninstall/install issues

Thank you very much! I tried what you suggested and it worked like a charm. It's also good to see I wasn't the only one who had experienced this before.
    After a couple of hours with my recovered OS, I decided to reformat it anyways. I currently have ZAP 7.0.362.000 installed and working and I've already recieved the message to upgrade to 8.0.

Seeing as how I still run SP2 at the moment, I don't think I should take the upgrade. Am I correct?

Any advice would be welcome
    and once again, thank you for the earlier help

You're welcome!Yes, latest ZA PRO runs better or only with SP3 installed.If you wish to upgrade to ZA 8 better first to install SP3 and update the OS up to latest patch.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 11-10-2008 09:52 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jza Guest

Dear Guru:

Thanks for your encouragement and expertise!

jza Guest

Dear Guru:

I was able to complete a manual surgical uninstall of my failed installation of ZAP 8.0-059 on my XP Pro/SP2 system (with your helpful guidance).

I then did a clean install of
    8.0 and it appeared to install without errors.
    However, similar to Dana's symptoms, the "Z" icon appears in the system tray but right-clicking does NOT bring up a pull-up menu so I cannot bring up the ZAP control panel.
    Thus, I can't alter any of the firewall settings.
    Further, mousing over the icon displays the message "Protection is up, UI is initializing".
    This has been the case for about 24 hours - no change!
    The zclient.exe process is using only infinitesimal amounts of processor time and appears to be in a loop of reading 2 bytes and then writing 22 bytes.

For approximately 2 minutes immediately after a reboot it will allow Netscape and IE to access unsecure URLs (non-SSL), then it begins restricting Web access to ONLY SSL (https) URLs.

Based on your last exchange with Conceptor, I presume that I should uninstall 8.0 and regress to 7.0 since I don't plan on applying SP3 anytime soon.
    Correct?

If you recommend regressing to 7.0, then do you have any particular uninstall tricks or advice?
    I have a hunch that the Programs menu 8.0 "ZAP Uninstall" will not function.

Thanks again for your excellent technical help resolving this "upgrade" headache!

Hi!yes, probably better to go back to 7.Are you running an antivirus apart from ZAPRO?What you describe looks either a conflict with a running application or malware preventing the correct install/functioning of ZA.You should be able to remove ZA from XP add/remove programs and reinstall version 7.Cheers,Fax

jza Guest

Although they were playing nicely together with ZAP 7.0, I do have Norton AV 2005, Spybot S&D, and Webroot SpySweeper running concurrently.
    All of my post-SP2 patches are up to date and I have the NAV compatibility patch from July.

It looks like I'm headed back to the old ZAP 7.0 drawing board.
    I wish I had known of these sensitivities in advance so I could have avoided wasting the time!

Many thanks!

Hi!my personal experience is that running too many security tool one on top of the other does not always work nicely and conflicts are always possible. Norton 2005 is really outdated and very much resource hog. SS is also heavy and less and less effective. The same apply to SpyBotS&D, really redundant on your setup.May be you could think to simplify your setup and give a spin to latest integrated security tools (e.g. ZA Suite, Kaspersky Suite, etc). Better coverage, less likely conflicts and less weight on the system (memory and CPU)Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 11-10-2008 10:43 PM

jza Guest

The smoke has just about cleared out and it looks like I've got ZAP 7 running correctly again - I'll know for certain soon.
    Now, I just have to reconfigure all of the countless settings and get the firewall tuned up like I had it.
    ZAP 7 ran flawlessly for so long that I'm having to relearn the product.
    After this 8.0 fiasco I'll be a ZAP
    "expert"!

You make a good point about consolidating my malware and virus and firewall services.
    When I setup this system long ago there wasn't one suite that seemed to be equally protective in all three domains.
    I am building a new system now and plan to use Norton 2009.
    I've read some good things about Kaspersy but noticed that the ZAP 8.0 Readme alludes to a bit of potential friction between it and Kaspersy.
    I will give the latest ZA Suite a closer look.

I really appreciate your prompt and technically precise support on this exercise in futility!
    Now I can get back to crawling through the BIOS setup on my new system...Cheers,JZA

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

conceptor Guest

At the moment I only have the protection of ZAP 7 and I'm thinking of adding a program or two to keep myself safe. Would either AVG or Ad-Aware cause problems with ZA?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information