Thread: ZASS 8.0.059.000 installed; PC locking up using IE

yinpong Guest

Default ZASS 8.0.059.000 installed; PC locking up using IE

I upgraded to ZASS 8.0.059.000.

When I use Internet Explorer my PC locks up for about 1 minute every few minutes. Certain websites like Amazon and Argos seem to make it happen more frequently.

During the lock-up time I can't see what's going on because Task Manager is also locked-up.

When the PC resumes again I noticed that 2 processes are high on the CPU usage:

ScanningProcess.exe
    vsmon.exe

So I thought it was a bad ZASS upgrade and tried again with CLEAN install.
    Still no joy.

Then I upgraded to Interet Explorer 8 as I thought it might be caused by IE7.
    Still no joy.

Any ideas what I could try next?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

capatrick Guest

Default Re: ZASS 8.0.059.000 installed; PC locking up using IE

I have the exact same problem.
    Ever since the recent upgrade to ZASS 8.0.059
    I notice an odd intermittant system lockup that seems to resolve itself in about a minute or two.
    It then happens again awhile later.
    Any suggestions?

dilbert Guest

I am using Firefox and I have the same problem. It happens most frequently when I shut down Firefox; the system is locked up for about one minute before it unlocks.

Windows XP
    Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard
    Core 2 Duo CPU
    2 GB memory

mpanzenbeck Guest

Yes I have a very similar problem. It occurs with amazon and several other sites. I have tried to adjust the privacy settings for amazon, etc. Doing so seems to cause serious problems with the privacy center. For example, the check marks disappear or the program reverts to previous settings. Without going into a prolonged discussion, Zonealarm just seems to go haywire.
    I have tried various fixes, multiple times: clean reinstall, resetting the options file. Nothing works.
    I have gone back to version 7. By the way, if you do a search in this forum on "amazon," you will see that others have had the same problem.
    Please post if you find a fix.

yinpong Guest

Thanks for the replies.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one suffering from browser related lock-up.
    I installed FireFox 8 last night and so far no lock-ups (but I need to try it for longer to be sure).

I'm starting to get fed up with ZASS as two recent versions 8.0.20 and 8.0.59 have been problematic for my PC.

dilbert Guest

I have found the cause of my problem - it is a conflict with Sandboxie. I found that when I started by browser in a sandbox, it would exhibit this problem. If I started the browser normally, I did not have the problem. When I disable ZoneAlarm's on-access scanning, the problem goes away. I really don't want to run without this protection, but it is the only way I can avoid the conflict.

Thread Information