Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Antivirus 2009 & ZoneAlarm Pro - resolution or fix coming?

rjc Guest

Default Norton Antivirus 2009 & ZoneAlarm Pro - resolution or fix coming?

So whats the deal, is there any fix on its way from either company to address this incompatibility?
    I just bought NAV2009 and can't take it back because the software is open so I'm stuck with it... but I want to use ZoneAlarm Pro.
    Are there issues with ZoneAlarm basic/free and NAV2009??

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

tasman Guest

Default Re: Norton Antivirus 2009 & ZoneAlarm Pro - resolution or fix coming?

I have been using them togeather for 3 month and have not had a problem. What issues are you haveing ?Tasman

rjc Guest

I had the latest ZoneAlarmPro... installed nav2009 and it locked my XP Pro on loading... system froze on loading...
    is there some way to get zonealarm pro and nav2009 on the same system?
    or even zonealarm basic and nav2009?

tasman Guest

Have you tried to shut down ZA Pro at startup , reboot and uninstall Norton by using the Norton uninstall tool on there site and reinstalling Norton. Don't forget to turn ZA back on after norton install.Tasman

Message Edited by tasman on 11-11-2008 11:20 AM

rjc Guest

I had shutdown zapro at startup... re-installed nav2009, but when i turned zapro back on the system froze... i think it was trying to update the virus defs or scan my system... when i rebooted it froze again
    your zapro does not crash when you turn it back on?
    or do u leave off at startup always and turn everything on once windows loads and that doesn't crash?

tasman Guest

I have ZA load at start up and it has never crashed. You could try to reset the data base in ZA by holding the ctrl and shift keys down and click on the icon in the task bar and click on reset , you will lose your current setting in ZA.Tasman

rjc Guest

I wonder if
    re-installing zonealarm would fix it....... what exactly conflicts between the 2 apps?

tasman Guest

I guess I would try to reinstall of ZA , make sure you
    do a
    clean uninstall of
    ZA.
    Like I stated in my first reply I have no conflics between the two. Do you have any other Antivirus or firewalls on your system?

rjc Guest

No, I have used ZA for oh geez, at least 5+ years... and my NAV2005 had been on since then, prior to that was NAV2002...... never had any issues at all between ZA & NAV, everything worked perfectly smoothly.
    The clean install is the ctrl/shift thing?

tasman Guest

ctrl/shift just resets the data base, it does not remove ZA. the instruction below will totaly remove ZA form your system and then you can reinstall it .
    I would try the
    data base reset first. If this does not work you will need to go to the symantic site and use there removal tool to remove the Norton Av 2009
    and reinstall it. I think your problem my be that you still have files left from norton 2005.
    I beleive I read somewhere that versions 2006 and below had to be removed using the norton removal tool (it's pretty easy to use)Tasman

Here is the Recomended Uninstall Method, for Uninstalling ZA,Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

1.) Download a Current Copy of Zone Alarm PRO
    from
    ZA website in the release history section.

2.) Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"
    3.) Reboot Computer to Remove Zone Alarm drivers from Memory..
    4.) Temporarily shut down any other AV/AS Security programs that May Conflict with ZA Install

5..) Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean
    (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Uninstall Zone Labs security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    - Reboot
    if you find these folders delet them.

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

Now Reboot
    Now Re-install the ZA pro program now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information