Thread: I have the same "UI" problem reported here: htt...

bbiskin Guest

Default I have the same "UI" problem reported here: htt...

I have the same "UI" problem reported here:

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...=149388#M82413

Unfortunately, the solution was not reported. HELP! I cannot access ZA through the system tray icon to make any needed adjustments. The mouse-over message is "Protection is up, UI is initializing." But it never does....

Using Task Manager, I can see that vsmon.exe tries to install, then disappears, then reappears,then disappears.... This cycle repeats every 5-10 seconds.

Sincerely,

Bruce

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by bbiskin on 11-12-2008 07:13 PM

hammernu Guest

Default Re: I have the same "UI" problem reported here: htt...

Here's a quick solution.
    Download the SAME version of ZA Pro here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    Reboot into Safe Mode and install the file just downloaded.Choose
    Clean Install when prompted.When ZoneAlarm requests a reboot, reboot into Normal Mode.

bbiskin Guest

HammerNU,

Thanks for the suggestion; however, I ran into another problem in safe mode. Setup seemed to go fine until it was almost completed. Then I got the following message:

"You do not have access to make make the required system modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrator account."

Unfortunately(?), I DO have administrator privileges and there are no subaccounts other than "Owner" (an administrator account)on this stand-alone PC. After clicking OK, ZAP seemed to complete installation. On reboot, I had the same problem with the UI and vsmon.exe. In addition, during several of the iterations, after installation, I noticed in Task Manager a file with various aliases--but all of the form "GLxxx.tmp"--running for extended periods (up to 20 minutes) until I killed it. I see that this file is in a TEMP director used by ZAP, so it seems to be related.

After retrying, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., thru several iterations (including installation using the base administrator account, I have reinstalled 7.0.483. In this process, I received the same message about administrator privileges; however, the installation seems to be working as it did before.

At this point, it looks like the message at the end of the ZAP 8 installation may be a red herring, since the reinstall of ZAP 7 yielded the same message, but it seems to be working.

Any other suggestions out there? Thanks to all.

hammernu Guest

I've seen other posts complaining about the Administrator privileges message but I've seen no solutions mentioned. You might as well stay with version 7 since it works for you. It's a viable alternative to version 8 and still provides the same protection.

Thread Information