Thread: "15th Anniversary Present" (ZAPro) Refuses to Install Correctly

captainozone Guest

Default "15th Anniversary Present" (ZAPro) Refuses to Install Correctly

I thought I'd take advantage of the 15th Anniversary Present offered by Zone Labs, ZA Pro, but after several attempts to install it, I gave up and reverted to ZA Free v.7.0.483.000. I would always hit a speed bump after the obligatory reboot when TrueVector Monitor Service (vsmon.exe) simply would not start, flashing on and off in Task Manager like a hazard flasher, and hovering the mouse over the systray icon showed a tooltip saying, "Protection is up, UI is initializing". Which, of course, it NEVER did, even after letting it sit for hours at a time.

When it wouldn't perform a simple upgrade installation, I followed every instruction tip I could find for a workaround, including:

Complete uninstallation of ZA,
    Complete uninstallation of (possible) conflicting malware cleaners (namely, **bleep** AV and Spybot (and TeaTimer)),
    Thorough file and registry cleaning (including manual removal of folders, files and registry entries and services),
    Downloading the ZA Pro file through IE (not FireFox) and putting it on (and installing from) the Desktop,
    Rebooting to Safe Mode (with networking) to install it - but first disabling Windows Firewall - and then rebooting to "normal" mode when prompted,
    Inserting the license key when prompted.

It STILL didn't work. (vsmon: on, off, on, off, ad libitum, ad nauseum, ad infinitum......)

I feel like I've been given an exploding cigar and I'm not the one who's laughing. Needless to say, I am less than pleased with this piece of garbage software and know for a fact that I'm not the only one to whom this is happening (even though, yes, I know it's free so why am I complaining?). A simple upgrade shouldn't be such a hassle.

You should also know that there are quite a few people I know who have given up completely on Zone Labs software over issues such as this.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: "15th Anniversary Present" (ZAPro) Refuses to Install Correctly

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>CaptainOzone wrote:
    I thought I'd take advantage of the 15th Anniversary Present offered by Zone Labs, ZA Pro, but after several attempts to install it, I gave up and reverted to ZA Free v.7.0.483.000. I would always hit a speed bump after the obligatory reboot when TrueVector Monitor Service (vsmon.exe) simply would not start, flashing on and off in Task Manager like a hazard flasher, and hovering the mouse over the systray icon showed a tooltip saying, "Protection is up, UI is initializing". Which, of course, it NEVER did, even after letting it sit for hours at a time.

When it wouldn't perform a simple upgrade installation, I followed every instruction tip I could find for a workaround, including:

Complete uninstallation of ZA,
    Complete uninstallation of (possible) conflicting malware cleaners (namely, **bleep** AV and Spybot (and TeaTimer)),
    Thorough file and registry cleaning (including manual removal of folders, files and registry entries and services),
    Downloading the ZA Pro file through IE (not FireFox) and putting it on (and installing from) the Desktop,
    Rebooting to Safe Mode (with networking) to install it - but first disabling Windows Firewall - and then rebooting to "normal" mode when prompted,
    Inserting the license key when prompted.

It STILL didn't work. (vsmon: on, off, on, off, ad libitum, ad nauseum, ad infinitum......)

I feel like I've been given an exploding cigar and I'm not the one who's laughing. Needless to say, I am less than pleased with this piece of garbage software and know for a fact that I'm not the only one to whom this is happening (even though, yes, I know it's free so why am I complaining?). A simple upgrade shouldn't be such a hassle.

You should also know that there are quite a few people I know who have given up completely on Zone Labs software over issues such as this.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.1.) is your WinXP up to date with service pack 3? ZA 7.0 only needed SP2, but ZA 8.0 needs WinXP Sp3..2.) The simplest procedure is to:1.Download the Latestinstallerpreferably with IE Browwserand no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right) ZAFree http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmlZAP http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html ZAAV http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.htmlZAAS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.htmlZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html2. On your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview --&gt; Preferences tab)3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory4. Install the new update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..Please note that ZASS does not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS issues remove them and install back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example, spyspweeper, spyware doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threatfire, otherantivirus, antispyware, registry locking tools, etc...Here is a List of the Most common User problems..a.) The first thing a Hacker, Trojan or Virus tries to do if they infect your computer or gain access to your Computer, thru an Email Attachment or pop-up on a Website or user over-ridding the Security alerts by the firewall, is to shutdown, any Firewall, AV/AS.. That is why some users have problems updating ZoneAlarm or any other security program..vsmon.exe/TrueVector is the first thing that loads when your computer starts to boot up, the ZA tray Icon is just a Icon that loads later in the Boot-up process..and TrueVector /vsmon.exe is the last thing to shutdown when your computer shuts down to insure that your computer is always protected..That is why " if Load ZoneAlarm on startup in not Un-checked" and computer Rebooted, Truevector will stay in Memory and will not be removed during Install or Upgrade, in fact the install may fail because Truevector in an attempt to protect your computer will think that the New Install attempt to install a new version of Truevector may be a Hacker Attempting to shut down Truevector..That is why it is very Important to use the Un-Check "Start ZA on Startup" method so that a New Upgrade Copy of TrueVector/vsmon.exe can be installed..b.) some Computer Users thinkhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better? http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1mad-1.gif

5.)- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. ---------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information