Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm installation

yabi Guest

Default Zonealarm installation

Just installed Nortons Antivirus 2009 on my three Computers (Windows XP) then installed Zone Alarm, thats when everything went wrong.It instantly locked all computers, after rebooting several times on each computer they still lock up. Went into safe mode uninstalled Zone Alarm rebooted then all back to normal use. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem as I want to continue using Zone Alarm as I have done for many years

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm Free + Norton Anti-virus 2009

Click here > http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=81693
    - you can read the other posts in the thread. It looks like you may have to call Norton and get 2008 version to work with ZA Free.

yabi Guest

Nortons 2008 AntiVirus works perfectly with Zone Alarm but Not Nortons 2009

dlcphoto Guest

Does this incompatibility with NAV 2009 extend to older versions of Zone Alarm Free?
    On my daughter's computer, we have Version 5.5.062.011 (running with no problems on an XP/SP2 system).
    Thanks.

naivemelody Guest

It appears Norton AV 2009 has some features that behave or will conflict with ZA Free firewalls; and possible solution that does work is to either downgrade or keep Norton 2008.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-30-2008 12:27 AM

dlcphoto Guest

Much appreciated.
    I'll go ahead and do the upgrade later on today, and hope for the best.

dlcphoto Guest

Well, I allowed NAV to upgrade to 2009, where it uninstalled the prior version, followed by an install of the 2009 version.
    I shut down ZA during this whole process.
    It seemed to complete uneventfully.
    When it did the final reboot, the system (XP Home/SP3) locked up completely shortly after the Desktop appeared.
    None of the system tray items appeared or loaded.
    It wouldn't even respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    I booted into Safe Mode, and using MSCONFIG, disabled Zone Alarm's automatic startup (or at least that's what I intended to do).
    I rebooted, but it locked up in exactly the same manner.
    I rebooted into Safe Mode, uninstalled ZA completely, and then was able to boot normally.
    I enabled Windows Firewall, realizing it isn't as complete in function as ZA.
    This computer is behind a router, so hopefully between that and Windows Firewall, along with NAV 2009, this should be adequate protection.
    If anybody has any other thoughts/ideas, please send them on.
    It turns out that even older ZA versions are not compatible with NAV 2009.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dlcphoto wrote:
    Well, I allowed NAV to upgrade to 2009, where it uninstalled the prior version, followed by an install of the 2009 version. I shut down ZA during this whole process. It seemed to complete uneventfully.I rebooted into Safe Mode, uninstalled ZA completely, and then was able to boot normally. I enabled Windows Firewall, realizing it isn't as complete in function as ZA.This computer is behind a router, so hopefully between that and Windows Firewall, along with NAV 2009, this should be adequate protection.If anybody has any other thoughts/ideas, please send them on. It turns out that even older ZA versions are not compatible with NAV 2009.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    NAV2009 has some features such as intrusion, worm, http/phisihing filtering for the borwser and IM protection, all of which are basically a form of firewalling.
    These must be disabled in the NAV 2009 as using theses are basically using two firewalls at the same time and causing conflict/issues.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dlcphoto Guest

<blockquote><hr>GeorgeV wrote:
    NAV2009 has some features such as intrusion, worm, http/phisihing filtering for the borwser and IM protection, all of which are basically a form of firewalling.
    These must be disabled in the NAV 2009 as using theses are basically using two firewalls at the same time and causing conflict/issues.
    <hr>
    Understood, and thanks for the explanation.
    I had a look at settings for NAV2009, and there are a huge number of potentially &quot;firewall-like&quot; options, so it could be extremely time consuming trying to figure out which need to be disabled to prevent the conflict.
    If anybody has identified these, that would be extremely helpful.
    OTOH, I guess the question is whether the current situation - NAV2009 running
    (with the firewall-like options enabled and functioning), combined with Windows Firewall being active, and the computer physically behind a linksys WRT54G router, is sufficiently safe, or if there is still significant vulnerability that would justify trying to get ZA running.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    </blockquote>

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dlcphoto wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>Understood, and thanks for the explanation.I had a look at settings for NAV2009, and there are a huge number of potentially "firewall-like" options, so it could be extremely time consuming trying to figure out which need to be disabled to prevent the conflict. If anybody has identified these, that would be extremely helpful.OTOH, I guess the question is whether the current situation - NAV2009 running(with the firewall-like options enabled and functioning), combined with Windows Firewall being active, and the computer physically behind a linksys WRT54G router, is sufficiently safe, or if there is still significant vulnerability that would justify trying to get ZA running.Any thoughts appreciated.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) linksys WRT54G router works Good if Proerly Configures and you change the Default Admin Password, so that anybody else on the Internet can not Access your linksys WRT54G router Admin setting.. However, Routers Only Block unwanted Incoming Attempts, Once your Computer is Infected, Routers will not Block OUTGOING Spam/ET Call home attempts by Hackers..2.) same Thing with Windows Firewall.. it does an adiquit job of Blocking unwanted INCOMING Attempts, but not Outgoing Attempts, and Must be Turned Off if you Install another Software Firewall, as Both Firewalls will Compete for Resources and Clonflict with each other and Result in Lower Protection..have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:964517094
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200811.4925
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV