Thread: ZA Pro - Blank Control Center - Vista Ultimate DELL 1720

tihz_ho Guest

Default ZA Pro - Blank Control Center - Vista Ultimate DELL 1720

I have a newish DELL 1720 laptop with a very recent Vista Ultimate clean install. I was running the free ZA quite well - until I uograded to PRO. After a clean install of ZA Pro and activation the ZA Pro control Panel came up blank - the left side window has a help button that does not work and the larger right side window is completly blank with the top banner displaying Zone Alarm Pro - Check Point etc.

I rebooted a few times and ZA Pro appears to be working fine but I cannot configure anything. I read the Acer laptop post with the same problem but my laptop is a DELL.

I don't want to uninstall ZA Pro and go back to the freebie one and ask for a refund so any help would be appeciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZA Pro - Blank Control Center - Vista Ultimate DELL 1720

There is the possibility there are still files and drivers from the previously installed Firewall still in place causing conflicts.
    Very often a database of the ZA will fix this:ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:964581995
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200811.4925
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200811.4925
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tihz_ho Guest

Thanks for the advice. I tried it exactly but with the same result - blank control centre.

It seems that is very possible that there are leftovers from the uninstall of the previous copy as you mentioned - which was the free version less than one month old. During the installation of the new version Vista and Zone Alarm had a few words... I had assumed that the pro version was in essence the free version "unlocked". Opening up the old control centre there was a link to go to a trial for Pro...so I didn't think too hard to just run the file I downloaded for the new installation which would be over the old.

The file downloaded and I ran it and it was at this point Vista stepped up to the plate and started swinging the bat warning after warning the installation then stopped responding and after a long time I had no choice but to bail out. ZA unintall failed at first then with a system restore with unknown errors and re-boot ZA uninstalled through Windows Add and Remove. I used **bleep** Registry cleaner to tidy up and proceeded to install ZA Pro and got the blank Control Centre screen.

I did uninstall ZA Pro after the reset you suggested did not work. Then a registry clean, rebooted, reinstalled ZA Pro...still a blank Control Centre screen.

Is there anything else I can do short of HDD format reinstalling Vista?

Thanks in advance

ZA Tech support always answer, if you do not get an answer it may meanthat ISP or your E-mail system has junked the response,Check your Junkmail folder.Use Internet Explorer to submit thefull details of your problem and if you do not get an Auto-generated confirmation email .. Use a free e-mail like hotmail or Gmail as contact address You should receive an automatic confirmation response by ZA after 5-20 minutes with your ticket number.If you have not received it then your ISP has junked it or Bounced it back to Zonealarm...ZA technical support can be reached here: www.zonealarm.com/tsform--------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 02-17-2009 11:35 AM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tihz_ho Guest

Thank you sir - I took your advice and submitted the problem to tech support.

I will post the results later for all those who might have this problem as I did.

Cheers

tihz_ho Guest

I had a few emails from ZA support on what to do which entailed uninstalling ZA Pro version 8 both with the uninstall function with "/clean" switch and manually deleting files/folders/registry entires and its all the same - Blank Control Centre - and now my licence key is no longer accepted. I won't post the details as nothing was solved save for the final advice.

"Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.
    I'm going to suggest reverting to version 7.0.483.000.

I have included instructions below on how to revert to version 7.0.483.000."

Seems that is my only option so I have asked for a refund. I paid for version 8 not version 7.

Searching on other PC tech forums it seems ZA Pro and Vista do not play well together all the time. That's a shame as from what I have just experienced I tend to agree. I still use ZA for my XP Pro sp3 boxes.

If anyone has anything more they can add to get version 8 running with Vista Ultimate please let me know.

Thread Information