Thread: Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

Hybrid View

clueless_tigs Guest

Default Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

Since updating to version 8.0.065 I've been having problems with lack of internet access and also with trying to shut down/restart PC. I took the advice in the post by 'Fax' which was intended for someone else with the same problem (see the bottom of my post) but only got as far as...

"* Make sure hidden files and folders are shown. To do so open Windows Explorer. Depending on your OS click Tools or View and then Folder Options > View.

Choose Show hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Windows 2000/XP/2003 only) and click OK."

(I run Vista so didn't uncheck 'hide protected operating system files' as it didn't mention Vista in the instructions.)

"* Next go to Start > Search > Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now."

When I ran the search it didn't find anything so I couldn't go any further. Zone Alarm seemed to have been removed anyway so I then followed the second link posted by Fax which automatically installed the latest version of ZA which was the version I was having the problem with!

Is uninstalling the program using the normal add/remove program sufficient seeing as my PC can't find any of the files mentioned meaning that I cam't go any further in the removal process?

How can I choose the 'old' version of ZA to install once I've removed the latest version?

Thanks in advance for any input

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

see here below how to remove ZA, you will need to boot in SAFE MODE and remove all files/folders detailed in the document:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

Download the downloader from here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...zaSetup_en.exe

When asked choose: Zonealarm FREE firewall and NOT ZA free firewall with trial of ZA Suite.

Cheers,
    Fax

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Basic
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>clueless-tigs wrote:
    How can I choose the 'old' version of ZA to install once I've removed the latest version?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Here you can download the old version...http://dl4.zonealarm.com/u/dlr/bin/f...254_000_en.exeCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

clueless_tigs Guest

Default Re: Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

Thanks Fax, will using the 'add or remove program' remove ZA properly so I can then download the old version? I can't seem to follow the instructions posted.

Hi!you may want to try to remove ZA with the /clean option, see here:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlCheers,Fax

clueless_tigs Guest

Thanks, I just read through that to see if I understood all the instructions - one of the steps is:

* After rebooting, check for the following folders, and delete them if you find them:

&quot;Internet Logs&quot;

&quot;Zone Labs&quot; (under your Program Files folder)

&quot;Zonelabs&quot; (under your Windows System32 folder)

I tried searching for those before performing any of the other steps and I can't find them. I have set it to show hidden files or folders and am using the 'search' facility that pops up when you press 'start' botton left of the screen. Am I looking in the wrong place? Perhaps this is why I couldn't finish the uninstall when I was following the first set of instructions you linked to as I couldn't find ant of the files mentioned on that one either.

Also I don't have any programs called 'Zonelabs' only 'ZoneAlarm'

Hi!browse manually, those folders, if they are on your system, they are NOT hidden:C:\WINDOWS\Internet LogsC:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabsC:\Program Files\Zone LabsCheers,Fax

Thread Information