Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

clueless_tigs Guest

Default Re: Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

It wasn't that I couldn't remove them, I found the 'Internet Logs' in C:Windows:Internet logs and wasn't sure that it related just to ZA so was wary of deleting the entire folder. When I looked inside it just had 'tvDebug' so presumed that the ZA content had already been deleted by me uninstalling ZA. Was I supposed to delete the entire folder named 'Internet logs'?

If so then I'll do it all again in safe mode (once I've read your link!)

Default Re: Problems with 8.0.065 update - tried to reinstall but still having problems

Hi!the folders mentioned in my previous post and from the ZA official document are, of course, related to ZA and not to anything else.Are you sure the locks you are experiencing are relared to ZA?Right click the ZA icon and shutdown ZA, double check that you do NOT have locks if ZA is not loaded.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

clueless_tigs Guest

Sorry, I didn't know if they had other important info in aswell. The two I deleted mentioned ZA but the Internet logs one didn't so I presumed the ZA content had already been deleted.

The freezing is intermittant, ie it's working OK now so turning ZA off wouldn't give an accurate picture. It started almost immediately after I updated to 8.0.065 and after googling I came across others having similar problems. Vista has a 'diagnose and repair' function and it said 'Windows did not find any problems with your internet connection'.

I'll try the clean install of the older version again (in safe mode as suggested).

clueless_tigs Guest

Thanks again for your help Fax, it really is appreciated.

Have done a second clean install of the old version in safe mode, this time the 'Zone Labs (program files folder)' and 'Zonelabs (Windows System32 folder)' weren't there so the only one that needed deleting was the 'Internet Logs' one.

Have checked that DNS and DHCP are added to the firewall trusted zone and that the trusted zone is set to MEDIUM.

Hopefully the problem should be solved now but out of interest, would doing system restore to a date a few months ago have solved the problem also?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>clueless-tigs wrote:
    would doing system restore to a date a few months ago have solved the problem also?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Usually system restore is not good to recover ZA on an earlier state but you never know.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

misterweather Guest

Greetings

I too had recurring problems when I cleaned out the 'failed' install of 8.0.065; I say failed because the installer locked up at 33% and I had to kill it. I knew that was a bad thing, but after 10 minutes (and verifying that it was not responding using Process Explorer) i really had little choice. Had to reboot and had no internet connectivity at all. So, I tried to reinstall it which solved the connectivity problem - to a degree, but some other odd behaviors started almost immediately. The reason I uninstalled ZA 8.0.065 was similar to the other issues; slow logoff/shutdown, intermittent loss of connectivity and a few other things that *may* have been related to ZA 8.

First, the Mystify Screen saver kept asking for permission to access the internet, which I granted; even went into ZA program controls and allowed access to both Internet and Trusted. After I did that, it completely locked me out. The screen unblanked, but only so that the cursor was visible. Had to hit it in the head to get out of that one! After restarting, the following was in the Applications Event Log &quot;The Windows logon process has failed to spawn a user application. Application name: . Command line parameters: C:\Windows\system32\Mystify.scr /s.&quot; The next day I was unable to view anything in the Event Log, with the system telling me I was not permitted. Yes, logged on as Admin.

After removing ZA 8.0.065 - manually using the steps listed on this board - I again had no internet connectivity; the Windows Network Diagnose and Repair functionality told me I had no LAN card installed; I removed and reloaded those drivers, tried some &quot;netsh&quot; commands to restore the sockets and still no luck, so I used a copy of 7.1.254 I had in backup and now viola! 2 Days with no problem at all.

The one odd thing of note is with ZA removed from my system I have no internet connectivity, yet all the diags show the system *should* be working. Something odd there that requires more digging.

Is it ZA's fault? I'm not ready to say that, as there are many possible configuration &amp; conflict issues, so that one cannot lay the blame squarely at ZA's door. I had been using 7.1.254 since it's release this past summer without incident. And no, I have not made any software modifications/installations before or after the transition from 7.1.254 to 8.0.065 - the PC is a &quot;home business&quot; box that has no games on it. Finally, I must say that as a user of both the &quot;For Fee&quot; and Free Versions of ZA it has been the best Firewall I've used; and I have experimented with quite a few over the years.

The box specifics follow:

Home Built from TigerDirect
    M2N-MN SE Plus
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ (2.61Ghz)
    4mb Ram
    2 Seagate SATA-II Harddrives, 500GB and 300GB
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 with all the latest patches

Also running
    AVG Free 8.0.176 files 270.9.15/1835
    Ad-Aware 7.1.011
    Spybot Search &amp; Destroy 1.6.0.31 with TeaTimer loaded
    Windows Defender 1.1.1600

I could supply any system log entries that might be of interest.

MisterWeather

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information