Anyone have any ideas?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

mikenorris Guest

Default Re: ZA and WINXP SP3 Installation

Fax, appreciate the
    forum guidance!
    Yes, I have ensured that both the DNS and DHCP servers are in the trusted zone; the trusted zone is set to medium and the internet zone is set to high.
    I have Free ZA on my desktop as well, and
    I've
    compared the settings on both machines
    and they match.MikeNorris

Hi!

then I am afraid I have no other specific suggestions on the issue.
    Are you sure you loose connection also with ZA OFF?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pairofhearts Guest

Do you have an AMD based systyem? Does it ReBoot OK?

Message Edited by pairofhearts on 12-12-2008 02:24 AM

mikenorris Guest

Yes to both questions, Lyle; haven't had any issues with reboot.
    I've deleted
    and reinstalled ZA completely twice, using the instructions that NaiveMelody posted, and still can't get connectivity once the lock is engaged.MikeNorris

mikenorris Guest

As soon as I turn ZA off, my connection is fine- no problems; it's only when the internet lock is engaged.MikeNorris

Hi!loosing connection when Internet is lock is engaged is normal and by design.You mean after you have allowed it?Defenetively an issue with a particular setting related to your ISP or your router.May be you should allow heartbits?Cheers,Fax<BLOCKQUOTE><A name=wp1007123 target=_blank></A><H3 class=pHeading2 style="MARGIN-TOP: 16pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none">Allowing ISP Heartbeat messages </H3><A name=wp1007127 target=_blank></A><P class=pBody>Internet Service Providers (ISPs) periodically send heartbeat messages to their connected dial-up customers to make sure they are still there. If the ISP cannot determine that the customer is there, it might disconnect the customer so that the user's IP address can be given to someone else. <A name=wp1007130 target=_blank></A><P class=pBody>By default, ZoneAlarm security software blocks the protocols most commonly used for these heartbeat messages, which may cause you to be disconnected from the Internet. To prevent this from happening, you can identify the server sending the messages and add it to your Trusted Zone or you can configure the Internet Zone to allow ping messages. <A name=wp1007134 target=_blank></A><H4 class=pHeading3>Identifying the source of the heartbeat messages </H4><A name=wp1007136 target=_blank></A><P class=pBody>This is the preferred solution because it will work whether your ISP uses NetBIOS or <EM class=cEmphasis>ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol)[/i] to check your connection, and it allows you to maintain high security for the Internet Zone. <A name=wp1007140 target=_blank></A><P class=pHTD_HeadingToDo style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt">To identify the server your ISP uses to check your connection: <DIV class=pSmartList1>
    1. <A name=wp1007141 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>When your ISP disconnects you, click <B class=cBold>Alerts &amp; Logs[/B]|<B class=cBold>Log Viewer[/B]. </LI><A name=wp1007142 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>In the alerts list, find the alert that occurred at the time you were disconnected. </LI><A name=wp1007144 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>In the Entry Detail area, note the Source DNS detected.</LI><A name=wp1007145 target=_blank></A><P class=pBodyRelative>If you're not able to identify the server this way, contact your ISP to determine which servers need access permission. <A name=wp1007146 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>After you have identified the server, add it to the Trusted Zone. </LI><A name=wp1007150 target=_blank></A><P class=pBodyRelative>See Adding to the Trusted Zone .
    <A name=wp1007153 target=_blank></A><H4 class=pHeading3>Configuring ZoneAlarm security software to allow ping messages </H4><A name=wp1007158 target=_blank></A><P class=pBody>If your ISP uses ICMP echo (or ping) messages for connectivity checks, configure ZoneAlarm security software to allow ping messages from the Internet Zone. <A name=wp1007162 target=_blank></A><P class=pHTD_HeadingToDo style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt">To configure ZoneAlarm security software to allow ping messages: <DIV class=pSmartList1>
    1. <A name=wp1007164 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>Select <B class=cBold>Firewall[/B]. </LI><A name=wp1007165 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>In the Internet Zone area, click <B class=cBold>Custom[/B]. </LI><A name=wp1007166 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>Select check box labeled <B class=cBold>Allow incoming ping (ICMP echo)[/B].</LI><A name=wp1007167 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>Click <B class=cBold>OK[/B]. </LI><A name=wp1007169 target=_blank></A><DIV class=pSmartList1><LI>Set the security level for the Internet Zone to Medium. </LI><A name=wp1007173 target=_blank></A><P class=pBodyRelative>See Choosing security levels . <P class=pBodyRelative>
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

pairofhearts Guest

&quot; still can't get connectivity once the lock is engaged.&quot;

Mike.........with the lock engaged you shouldn't be able to access the internet. As Fax suggested this is by design. Why would you expect access when you have locked access?

mikenorris Guest

Sorry it's taken a little while to respond;
    haven't been on for a few days because
    my desktop OS got fried the other night from a power outage during a storm! (working from my laptop).
    I understand about heartbeats and will set that up and see how it goes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as pass-lock goes, once
    the internet lock engages- programs that are given pass-lock permission
    should still be able to get through
    if they need to, right?
    That's the part where I am getting hung up on...
    on earlier ZA versions, I was able to start IE and access the internet, even though the lock was engaged (
    the icon would change from padlock to meter bar, showing traffic); now, the lock stays engaged and I have to click and unlock it before getting
    to the internet.

Hi!I was not aware that ZAfreehave pass lock working. This was removed since version6 or 6.5(in the free version)Only retail version should have it.Cheers,Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information