Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to (re)install becuase "Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service"

algie Guest

Default Unable to (re)install becuase "Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service"

I'm running the Trial version od Security Suite (v 70_462_000) which fails
    on system startup ("Zone Alarm has encountered a fatal error and must close" - doesn't detail the error).
    I thought I'd try reinstalling it, but get the above error, which
    goes on to ask me to stop the True Vector service, which of course I can't because it isn't running.
    Or does it have some non-obvious name within Windows Task Manager?
    Plan B was to uninstall and to a clean install, but I can't do that either because the unstaller can't stop the True Vector service (because it isn't running?) and tells me to stop all the other applications that are using it. Except of course there aren't any.
    Any ideas, anyone?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Unable to (re)install becuase "Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service"

As you mentioned, you should do an unistall but make sure you do it in Safe Mode. That way, there will be no interaction with the True Vector service or any other process. Also to avoid problems, you can start the install in Safe Mode. Near the end of the installation process, ZA will ask you to reboot; you can now allow the reboot to continue the installation in a Normal Mode boot.

algie Guest

Default Re: Unable to (re)install becuase "Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service"

Thanks, should've thought of that!!
    I've actually now done it
    a slightly
    different way... disabled True Vector using msconfig.exe and successfully uninstalled.
    Fingers crossed I can reinstall it OK!!
    Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Algie wrote:
    Thanks, should've thought of that!!I've actually now done ita slightlydifferent way... disabled True Vector using msconfig.exe and successfully uninstalled. Fingers crossed I can reinstall it OK!!Cheers!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

vsmon.exe is the TrueVector Zone Alarm utility that run as a Service in the Back ground and is the first Service to run as your computer Boots up and the last file to shut down when you shut down your computer to make sure your Computer is always protected..

As long as Truevector is Running, it can not be Uninstalled or Deleted or a New install written over it while it is running, in order to continue protecting you computer..

The Proper way to Shut down TrueVector before Uninstalling ZA or Upgrading to a New version, is the Following proceedure..

1.) Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup" then Reboot Computer to Unload vsmon.exe and True Vector from memory.. befor uninstalling or Upgrading Zone Alarm..

2.) Uninstall or re-Install Zone Alarm..

3.) go back into New install ZA Overview/Preferences and make sure to Re-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup.."

Good Luck..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942644973
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3155
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

whtake Guest

I am having the same problem because of a virus attack that corrupted ZA.
    I attempted to reinstall
    ZA Pro using the prescribed steps above but was stopped at the step of going into Safe Mode.
    I couldn't.
    Every time a message appeared saying that Safe Mode was prevented in order to avert any damage to the system ...
    Is there another way to reinstall please?
    Thanks.

orionisnebula Guest

Default Problem Solved:Unable to (re)install becuase "Setup is unable to log into...

Hi,
    I had the same problem:
    I was infected by the rootkit Bagle ( some of the infected and more known files are: srosa.sys, hidr.exe, hldrr.exe, winterms.exe ),
    thi rootkit block more or less all firewall, antivirus and antimalware software... so my Zone Alarm is down...

I trying to reistall the program, but i had the same error: &quot;Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service&quot;
    so i tryed to stop the service and to remove the process in msconfig, but nothing happend ...

so i searched for unseen running services, and i found one Zone Labs folder in in windows/system32/ :
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs
    i try to delete all files .... and then to re-run the install of Zone Alarm, and it run !!!

I searched the specified files that create the install program, and i found:

scheduler.dll
    vsmon.exe
    vsruledb.dll

REMOVE od DELETE or MOVE this 3 files (there are in something modified by the rootkit or other virus), and the run the install... you will no have install problem.... after the installation these files will be re-created with a &quot;non-infected&quot; version.

I hope my message will be helpful for somebody....
    Bye

Default Re: Problem Solved:Unable to (re)install becuase "Setup is unable to log into...

Uninstall the ZA this way;

Start the PC in the Safe Mode.

Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(first add a space and then type in the /clean)

Use the Apply and OK in that window.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - manually remove the files found inside these folders:

<LI>WINDOWS\ Internet Logs <LI>Program Files\Zone Labs <LI>WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs</LI>

Windows\Temp folder and the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings

- reboot
    Re-Install ZA using Clean Install method..
    GeorgeV

robinrob Guest

If using Windows Vista and installing zaSuiteSetup_71_248_000_en.exe if you click on properties and &quot;run as administrator&quot; before installing, it will shut down alll running za files automatically.

orobertson Guest

I get the &quot;Setup is unable to log in to the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installation program&quot; message aswell. I have previously had a free trial from ZA and i'm trying now to download the free version but finding it difficult to do so. I have read the posts prior to this one and not been able to succeed with the advice. As my trial has run out, I can't open ZA to go to preferences. Please help. Thankyou in advance

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>orobertson wrote:
    I get the "Setup is unable to log in to the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installation program" message aswell. I have previously had a free trial from ZA and i'm trying now to download the free version but finding it difficult to do so. I have read the posts prior to this one and not been able to succeed with the advice. As my trial has run out, I can't open ZA to go to preferences. Please help. Thankyou in advance
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

I'm Sorry that your having a Problem,
    1.) Did you read my Previous Message on TrueVector?2.) in most cases the Only way to Fix a TrueVector problem, is a Complete Clean Unistall of all parts of ZoneAlarm, so that Nothing including other Security Programs other than those provided Microsoft windows, may Conflict with ZA or Block the Proper Fresh install of Zone alarm..Pleasetry these instruction from Checkpoint to remove ZA completely?Here: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103Good Luck..
    GeorgeV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information