Thread: Slow Shutdown and restart

rogerb Guest

Default Slow Shutdown and restart

OK. Just found this forum and hope someone can help me out.

Laptop is extremely slow ever since installing ZASS whenever try to shutdown or restart computer. Can take up to 30 minutes or more.

Here are the specifics on Zone Alarm:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:966397543
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.5075
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

Here are the specifics on my laptop:

Dell Inspiron1420
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    2.00 GB RAM
    32-bit Operating System

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have read several different things on here and before I try anything looking for specific advise based on my system and what I provided.

Thanks
    Roger

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Slow Shutdown and restart

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>rogerb wrote:
    I have read several different things on here and before I try anything looking for specific advise based on my system and what I provided.

<HR>

</BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!can you list what exactly have you done to resolve the issue?This way we can avoid posting information that you already know.Also consider that ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, NOD, AVG, Adaware, SpybotS&amp;D, and many others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZASS is working as it should.Did you remove completely the previous security tools?What happens if you boot your VISTA system only with ZA and standard MS services/software?This way:1.) Click Start -&gt;Type MSConfig in the search box and push on ENTER
    2.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    3.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    4.) Click the Services Tab
    5.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    6.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    7.) Restart your computerStill 30 minutes?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 12-26-2008 01:37 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rogerb Guest

Fax:

Thanks for the reply. I had not done anything and wanted to put my system info up before I tried anything. I did as you outlined above and everything then works well with very fast shutdown and restart. Understand that I am somewhat computer smart but by no means understand the inner workings.

So my next question is do I just leave things as they are after the list you outlined above and how does this affect how the other programs on my computer run?

Also I don't have any of the other programs you mention that may conflict with ZA. The only program I still have is Windows Defender so could that be causing the conflict?

Thanks for your help with this and we actually have 3 different laptops in the house. Family, and two kids with laptops and have similar issues with all 3 so must be a &quot;common&quot; problem with all 3 but starting with the family computer and once we figure it out will try to fix all 3.

Let me know what you suggest I do next.

Thanks

Hi!well, now slowly put back items in your startup up to when you find the culprit... by group of 4 or 5.Start from the services been disabled and then move to the startup items.Cheers,Fax

rogerb Guest

I think I have narrowed it down to:

NsWrkMon Application

Found at:

C:\Windows\Systems32\spool\driveers\w32x86\3\WrtMo n.exe

I think it has something to do with my Lexmark printer but this is where my lack of computer knowledge comes in.

Any ideas what the above is. I haven't tried to run my printer yet but have had a pop up warning about a Spool something and this may be the cause.

Any suggestions other than just leave it disabled and try my printer?

Hi!interesting... try to addit to the antivirus/antispyware exceptions (advanced option of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab --&gt; virus management --&gt; exceptions --&gt; add file)See here a more detailed explanation:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=54244#M54244The above workaround is for printing... I was not aware that it also causes slow down.You could try to print and see if it works like this (disabled).You may need to add more subdirectories and test it. After adding a reboot is needed to take the change.Hope this helps.You should report the issue to ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform since ZA staff does not monitor this board.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information