Thread: How to backup settings?

scanman20 Guest

Default How to backup settings?

ZoneAlarm version:8.0.065.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.065.000
    Driver version:8.0.065.000

Using the free version and the help file mentions a backup button that I don't have.

Message Edited by scanman20 on 12-29-2008 09:55 AM

Default Re: How to backup settings?

Hi!ZA free has no backup function.You have to manually copy the 'Internet Logs' folder in the main window folder (in SAFE MODE).But not sure it works.... so you can do it at your own risk.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

findley Guest

Default Re: How to backup settings?

<blockquote><hr>scanman20 wrote:
    ZoneAlarm version:8.0.065.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.065.000
    Driver version:8.0.065.000

Using the free version and the help file mentions a backup button that I don't have.

Message Edited by scanman20 on 12-29-2008 09:55 AM
    <hr></blockquote>scanman,
    I pulled this from my notes from a post from Guru Oldsod and I quote:
    &quot;This advice works for the ZA free users as they have no built in backup and restore options in the ZA GUI. But it will definitely work also for any ZA paid versions.
    I am actually very surpised that the Technical Support never told you this trick as this is one of the oldest tricks around for ZA users and is fairly well known among the ZA community.
    Here goes:Open the windows in the safe mode or the safe boot.
    Open the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder.
    Copy the iamdb.rdb and the backup.rdb files (you could include the *user name* - *numbered* .ldb file but it is not really needed, just those two .rdb files are what is important).
    Then move the files to a place for safe keeping and rename them or after renaming move back to the Internet Logs folder for finding them quickly when needed in the future.
    Just adding the .bak file extension after to the end of the usual file extension of .rdb is enough to make the files silent (like iamdb.rdb.bak). Some people will add the date when the files were copied (like 07_23_08.iamdb.rdb.bak). Some will add the .txt file extension instead (like iamdb.rdb.txt).
    These files are what the ZA uses when it is running for references of all it's functions and setting. So this is basically an image of the settings and rules and configurations of the ZA.Okay now you got the copies of the files saved. This is good and do this process often as needed or wanted.
    The next time you have to do the database reset of the ZA and start over, just start windows in the safe mode or safe boot.
    Open the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder and delete the ZA/s iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb files and clean the recycle bin. Now move the saved iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb files over to the Internet Logs folder and remove the previously added file extensions and/or dates.
    Or if the renamed files are already saved in the Internet Logs folder, then change the files to the original names after deleting the corrupted files and cleaning the recycle bin.Now after the reboot into the normal boot, the ZA will assume the settings and configuartions of the just restored files. No loss of settings or un-neccessary starting completely fresh if you keep making copies of the those two files for safe keeping.
    You will always have a good useable ZA setting available.
    There are lots of ZA free users making backup this way every month or two (well the free has less settings and configurations to bother with). So if I was a paid user using this method, I would definitely be making the backups with shorter time periods such as every month or ever three weeks.Oldsod.&quot;
    The above quote from Guru Oldsod is here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=79586
    Findley

Thread Information