Thread: Confusion re latest ZAfree version

cygnusss Guest

Default Confusion re latest ZAfree version

I am using ZAfree 8.0.065.000 with WinXP SP3.

Today ZA notified me about the availability of an important update and directed me here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm. On the right there seems to be the update. So I downloaded that file called zaSetup_en.exe. It's only 261KB! I wondered what enhancements or bug fixes and which version number this new update would bring. In the past the version number was also in the file name; not anymore seemingly (and unfortunately). So I checked the release history here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html. Surprisingly the latest version here (also available for download) is 7.0.483.000. How can this be when I have currently 8.0.065.000 installed and was notified about an update? What file/update should I download and install - if anything at all?

I am confused. Can anybody please help me out here? Thanks in advance!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Confusion re latest ZAfree version

With 8.0.065 I think you're current. But there may be an update to 8.0.298 for ZA free as well.
    That small file is some sort of a downloader. When you run it, it will then download the proper upgrade. I believe 8.0.065.000 is the latest version for the free ZA and that downloader with download it. That's the version I had for a bit. But things might be simpler - see NaiveMelody summary which might also be more up to date.
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    specifically - find the section titled
    # - For ZoneAlarm "Free" Firewall Product
    and 8.0 branch section

If I were you, I would download, but not install, the latest suggested file and check properties for the version number. If you like what you see, install it. Or wait a bit and see if version things get clarified more.

This maybe a dumb question on my part - why do you need update to the free version?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Cygnusss wrote:
    I am using ZAfree 8.0.065.000 with WinXP SP3.

Today ZA notified me about the availability of an important update and directed me here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm. On the right there seems to be the update. So I downloaded that file called zaSetup_en.exe. It's only 261KB! I wondered what enhancements or bug fixes and which version number this new update would bring. In the past the version number was also in the file name; not anymore seemingly (and unfortunately). So I checked the release history here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html. Surprisingly the latest version here (also available for download) is 7.0.483.000. How can this be when I have currently 8.0.065.000 installed and was notified about an update? What file/update should I download and install - if anything at all?

I am confused. Can anybody please help me out here? Thanks in advance!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

My apologies!
    I do not work for or represent Zonelabs or Checkpoint, thus no inside information is given to me personally.

We are all Users here in this ZA Forum..

1.) AFAIK: ZAFree 8.0.065.000 is the latest Free Version available

2.) CheckPoint Often Uses "zaSetup_en.exe. It's only 261KB" as a Pre-Installer, that checks your computer to see if you need the Windows XP Version or the Vista Version.. When you click on it, It goes out and Downloads the Full Install version for your Computer..

3.) What is posted in the "release history" page is Updated by Soimebody in Marcheting for Checkpoint, and sometimes is not Up-to-Date on the current version..the Free version is usually the last to be updated..

4.) I recomend the Latest ZAFree Version .. 8.0.065.000..

-------------------------------------

Vista 32-Bit SP1

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981074580
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5605
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cygnusss Guest

Thanks for your quick reply, zaswing!

I see. With that downloader I was able to download the latest upgrade and it is indeed a new version of ZA free: 8.0.298.0. I was also able to chat with a service representative and asked him whether the update was indeed critical. He said (typed) yes. (He apologized for the outdated release history online and said he would inform those in charge. We'll see...)

Regarding your last question: Well, if a security program notifies me saying an &quot;important upgrade&quot; was available I usually try to at least find out whether it was indeed critical. If yes: I do update. I don't like to roll the dice; online security is important to me! But if the update is not critical I would probably not (immediately) update as long as I can't see any real reason.

cygnusss Guest

Thank you as well, GeorgeV! :-)

Your answer was just as useful; thanks! Please see my reply to zaswing.

BTW: I have not yet installed the new version but since it was called critical by that services representative I will. Although I would feel more comfortable if I was able to read the changes black on white. Oh well...

Charles_B Guest

zaswing wrote :

This maybe a dumb question on my part - why do you need update to the free version?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite Release History

&quot; Note: these notes also apply to ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm (free firewall) when applicable. For example, improvements to anti-spyware do not apply to our AntiVirus product, but do apply to Suite and Pro that both include anti-spyware features. &quot;

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.298.000

* Vista 64-bit compatible
    * Anti-spam now supports IMAP and Windows mail on Vista 32-bit
    * Parental control now works with all Web browsers
    * Improved performance during computer startup, shutdown and operation
    * Addressed specific stability and quality issues
    * SmartDefense Advisor (automatic program configuration service) improved to provide more secure, quieter operation

ZoneAlarm
    Pro Release History

ZoneAlarm Pro version 8.0.298.000

* Vista 64-bit compatible
    * Improved performance during computer startup, shutdown and operation
    * Addressed specific stability and quality issues
    * SmartDefense Advisor (automatic program configuration service) improved to provide more secure, quieter operation

This changes could apply to ZoneAlarm (free firewall) when applicable.Good idea to update.

Thread Information