Thread: ZoneAlarm free firewall--where's the download link?

amethyst Guest

Default ZoneAlarm free firewall--where's the download link?

I am a former ZASS client (I quit in about June/08). I have been using AVG free 8 and I am happy with it. And although I have a desktop and a laptop behind a router, I would feel more comfortable with something more substantial than the Windows firewall for software, so I'm thinking about ZoneAlarm free. I haven't quite decided yet, but I am most familiar with ZA's user interface so it would be a comfortable choice, although I am considering others as well.

Where is the download link for the latest version? I went to Filehippo.com, and I see the file there for 8.0.065.0 is 26.4 mb.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/tech/

I'm not completely comfortable downloading from this source, especially since there was a link on that page to this one:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...eeDownload.jsp

And when I clicked on that silver ZoneAlarm firewall button, the size of the file it wanted to download was 200 and some K! I didn't like the looks of that, that just didn't seem right.

So I would prefer a legit download link from the Zonelabs site. And any installation tips.

I also have Malwarebytes installed but the free version only.

Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm free firewall--where's the download link?

Welcome back amethyst, the 261kb you saw was legit = this is just the installer exe. - which is sometimes easier for users to install ZA firewalls, no problems.<hr>Click here &gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...firewall_b.jsp
    - from ZA website - click on left, you will see the same 261 kb - save to desktop and then install when ready/ prepared.
    Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    - follow tips and guidelines.

Hopefully you have properly un-installed the old ZA Suite from pc - if not click here &gt; http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=84259<hr>Filehippo is generally considered safe; but it's
    sometimes wiser
    to get direct downloads from the source.<hr>Details: the release history of ZA Free does not have 8.0.065 listed, yet; but was recently offered as an update option to many current ZA Free users. So when you download from the link above- I'm not sure whether you will get the older 7.0.483 or the new 8.0.065 - please post back. If you get the 7.0.483 = this is still a viable free firewall; and you may later get an update notice for 8.065.<hr>It appears you are in pretty good pc shape.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 1-9-09 - Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale

amethyst Guest

Thanks for your response.

When I uninstalled ZASS from the desktop last summer, I went through the whole list of very detailed instructions, similar to what you posted, and that included going into the registry (something I generally avoid doing!) However, I see now there is an uninstall tool issued by Zonelabs. Do you know if people are finding that to be effective enough? I've found one post on this forum that says no it isn't.
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=84300

The initial post I found re the removal tool:

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=84267

I found a page here with the list of releases (I don't know how I got to that, I've got about 20 tabs open at the top of my browser at the moment! LOL!)

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...ml#8.0.059.000

I think I'll be going with the latest version of 7.x. I noticed, though, that the file size is 44Mb and the file at filehippo was considerably smaller at 26.4Mb, and that is for version 8.0.065, which you've mentioned. What is going on with that? Why the enormous size difference? It's my understanding that the whole security suite comes bundled in with the downloads of the free firewall and during installation, you can choose if you want to install just the free firewall or the whole suite on a trial basis. So going from the most recent version of 8.x to this new one, it goes from 50mb to 26.4mb. That seems really strange, actually.

Here's the filehippo link again.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/tech/

Sorry for all the questions. I'm extremely cautious about making any changes to my systems and I always do a lot of reading and checking around before I add anything.

I just want a nice little firewall that's easy to use and doesn't crash and trash your system...kinda like the way Zonealarm used to be back in the day. :-) (It was STILL difficult and messy to uninstall, though, even 8 or 9 years ago! LOL!)

amethyst Guest

OK, this is funny...I just found another thread where it was said by one of this forum's gurus that ZA 8.x requires XP SP3 or Vista SP1. I have XP SP2 on both my computers, and I have absolutely NO intention of going to 3 unless forced to do so, so the question of using ZA 8.x has been settled.

I didn't see that fact made immediately obvious on any Zonelabs pages, unless I missed that somewhere.

Anyway, thanks again Melody, and I'll keep on evaluating before I make a decision. :-)

That thread was here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=84181

Message Edited by amethyst on 01-10-2009 02:13 PM

The filehippo servers only gives out the ZA free installer, not the ZAISS installer.
    (the latest ZA free install has stopped using the zaiss installer as the default installer and instead the za free now uses the default za pro installer for it's installer; if you were wondering about the file size reduction change in more recent and future za free installers).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Actually this latest version runs okay on one of my laptops with just using the XP HE SP2 (not three).
    On the other hand the older ZA Pro 5.5 runs beautiful on the XP SP3 (and all of the latest updates).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>amethyst wrote:
    OK, this is funny...I just found another thread where it was said by one of this forum's gurus that ZA 8.x requires XP SP3 or Vista SP1. I have XP SP2 on both my computers, and I have absolutely NO intention of going to 3 unless forced to do so, so the question of using ZA 8.x has been settled.

I didn't see that fact made immediately obvious on any Zonelabs pages, unless I missed that somewhere.

Anyway, thanks again Melody, and I'll keep on evaluating before I make a decision. :-)

That thread was here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=84181

Message Edited by amethyst on 01-10-2009 02:13 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can find the System Requirements in the ZoneAlarm.com product pagehttp://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...US&amp;lang=enLook over on the lower Right side for "System Requirements"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:975870436
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5135
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<body>
    <table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td class="body">
    <p class="headblack1">ZoneAlarm Software System Requirements

Listed below are the complete system requirements, email protocols, and IM clients supported by ZoneAlarm software products.

<b class="headblack2">System Requirements for ZoneAlarm ForceField:[/b]
    <a name="ff" target=_blank></a>
    Supported Browsers:<ul>[*]Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 6 and 7[*]Mozilla Firefox versions 1, 2 and 3[/list]
    Windows XP Operating System:<ul>[*]Intel Pentium III 1 GHz or higher[*]XP Service Packs 2 and 3[*]Minimum system RAM: 512 MB[*]20MB of available hard disk space (Install size is 5 MB)[*]Internet access.[/list]
    Windows Vista (32-bit):<ul>[*]Pentium III 1 GHz or higher[*]Minimum system RAM: 512 MB[*]20MB of available hard disk space (Install size is 5 MB)[*]Internet access.[/list]

<b class="headblack2">System Requirements for all other ZoneAlarm Products:[/b]

Vista (32-bit):<ul>[*]Pentium III 800 MHz or higher[*]Minimum system RAM: 512 MB[*]50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.[/list]
    Windows XP Operating System:<ul>[*]Pentium III 450 MHz or higher[*]XP Service Packs 2 and 3[*]Minimum system RAM: 128 MB[*]50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.[/list]

<ul class="body">[*]Supported Protocols for Email Protection[*]Support Browsers
    [*]Operating Systems Support[*]FAQ for ZoneAlarm End-of-Life Policy[/list]
    <p class="headblack1"><a name="1" target=_blank></a>Supported Protocols for Email Protection
    <ul class="body">[*]POP3 (Incoming only) &mdash; available in all ZoneAlarm products[*]SMTP (Outgoing only) &mdash; available in all ZoneAlarm products except free ZoneAlarm[*]HTTP (Junk email filtering in conjunction with Outlook or Outlook Express) &mdash; available in ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite only[*]IMAP4 (Incoming only) - IMAP4 is not supported for virus scanning of email. &mdash; available only with ZoneAlarm Antivirus and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite[/list]
    <p class="headblack1"><a name="2" target=_blank></a>Support Browsers
    <ul class="body">[*]Internet Explorer 5.5, 6.0 SP1, 6.0 SP2 7.0 SP2[*]Netscape Navigator 7.2, 8.0 Beta[*]FireFox 1.00 and higher[*]MSN Explorer 6.0 and higher[*]AOL 9.0[/list]

<p class="headblack1"><a name="4" target=_blank></a>Operating Systems Support

It is ZoneAlarm's policy to extend protection to customers of all Microsoft Windows operating systems as long as the following conditions apply:
    1. The operating system itself is still supported by its creating company (Microsoft) with automatic and proactive security updates to protect customers against the latest security vulnerabilities.
    2. The operating system can technically support the ZoneAlarm software without negatively effecting the users security.

When these above criteria are not met, we will, at the sole discretion of Check Point Software Technologies, discontinue support of the operating system. We will make every attempt to give prior notice to customers before discontinuing support for an operating system.
    <p class="headblack2">Current Operating System Support Information:
    <table cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3" border="0" width="80%">
    <tr>
    <td width="1%" valign="top" nowrap class="headred2">Operating System</td>
    <td width="99%" valign="top" class="headred2">ZoneAlarm End-of-Life Status</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td width="1%" valign="top" nowrap class="headblack2">Windows Vista</td>
    <td width="99%" valign="top" class="body"><b class="headblack2">Supported[/b]
    All of our current shipping products, except for ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware, run on the Windows Vista operating system. Due to the different needs and functionality of the Vista operating system, some features and functionality on 2000/XP may differ on Vista.</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td width="1%" valign="top" nowrap class="headblack2">Windows XP</td>
    <td width="99%" valign="top" class="body"><b class="headblack2">Supported[/b]
    All currently shipping ZoneAlarm products will run without limitation on the Windows XP operating system.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="1%" valign="top" nowrap class="headblack2">Windows 2000</td>
    <td width="99%" valign="top" class="body"><b class="headblack2">Support Discontinued[/b]

In 2005, Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 2000. In 2010, Microsoft will end extended support for Windows 2000, which will make this operating system less secure and increasingly prone to hacking exploits. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx).

As a result, Check Point will cease to support Windows 2000 with the introduction of our version 8.0 ZoneAlarm family of products including ZoneAlarm&reg; Internet Security Suite 2009, ZoneAlarm&reg; Pro, ZoneAlarm&reg; Antivirus, ZoneAlarm&reg; Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm&reg;.

Note about pre-8.0 products: <ul>[*] Pre-8.0 products will continue to run on the Windows 2000 operating system and receive signature updates such as virus and spyware signatures. However, there will be new and advanced protection features in post-8.0 ZoneAlarm products that will not be added to pre-8.0 products. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system.[/list] ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-8.0 products at any time. </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="1%" valign="top" nowrap class="headblack2">Windows 98se/ME</td>
    <td width="99%" valign="top" class="body">

<b class="headblack2">Support Discontinued[/b]
    On July 11, 2006, Microsoft will end support for Windows 98, 98SE and Me, which will have the resulting effect of making these operating systems less secure (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx). Windows 98/Me are older operating systems, and therefore inherently more vulnerable to attacks than newer operating systems. Now that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates to this operating system it will become increasingly prone to security vulnerabilities.

<b class="headblack2">Accordingly, Check Point will cease to support Windows 98/98SE/Me with the introduction of our version 6.5 ZoneAlarm family of products[/b] including ZoneAlarm&reg; Internet Security Suite, ZoneAlarm&reg; Pro, ZoneAlarm&reg; Antivirus, ZoneAlarm&reg; Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm&reg;.
    <p class="headblack2">Note about pre-6.5 products:
    <ul class="body">[*]Pre-6.5 products will continue to run on the Windows 98/98SE/Me operating system. However, there are a few new and advanced protection features in ZoneAlarm products that will not run due to technical limitations of this operating system. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system.[*]ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-6.5 products at any time.[/list]</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <p class="bodysmall">* - Windows 95 is no longer supported
    <p class="headblack1"><a name="5" target=_blank></a>FAQ for ZoneAlarm End-of-Life Policy
    <p class="headblack2">Why does ZoneAlarm have a policy to end support for operating systems?

This policy is in place for several reasons:
    1. Older operating systems, even when still supported by the creating company, often have technical limitations that make it impossible to properly protect our customers using new and advanced ZoneAlarm technology.
    2. When the creating company stops fixing the new "holes" discovered by hackers in its operating system, customers are much more vulnerable to attack.
    3. ZoneAlarm strongly encourages its customers to adhere to a "best practices" approach to security, where each best practice that's upheld makes the customer much less likely to fall victim to attack; and every best practice ignored makes the customer much more vulnerable. Keeping software, including the operating system, up-to-date with the latest security patches is an essential best practice.

<p class="headblack2">What if I have a current update/support subscription for a ZoneAlarm product when you end support for my operating system?

If you purchased a product or product service extension during the period when your operating system was listed under the ZoneAlarm end-of-life section; and that policy was posted online; and support for your operating system was not listed in the system requirements section; a refund will not be provided for your purchase, however we highly encourage you to upgrade your operating system to a safe, supported system and continue to use your current ZoneAlarm product.

</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </body>
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amethyst Guest

Thanks Oldsod, GeorgeV, and NaiveMelody! :-)

<blockquote><hr>amethyst wrote:
    Thanks Oldsod, GeorgeV, and NaiveMelody! :-)
    <hr></blockquote>

You are welcome amethyst.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information