I have a desktop with a
wired connection into my wireless router
a laptop that works on a wireless connection.
The desktop is running XP/SP2 - I declined SP3 install because it was causing problems with older software I still need to use. According to the information here, ZA free latest version
8.0.065.000 shouldn't work but it does - absolutely fine,
The problem is with the laptop which IS running SP3. After downloading and installing an upgrade (about 3 or 4 weeks ago), it stopped working.
First off I was getting a vsmon general error and Windows would not start. I went into safe mode, uninstalled ZA and re-installed.
For the next few weeks, the laptop worked, but ZA kept saying it wasn't running and the control centre didn't display properly - it loaded, but was blank apart from the header. However, since my wireless router provides some firewall protection, I wasn't too concerned.
Then two days ago, another ZA update came along which I accepted. I opted to do a clean install - disaster!
Windows takes up to 10 minutes to reach the desktop load stage from the login, and never completes startup. I get the 'Z' for ZoneAlarm up which is blocking internet access completely and says something like UI initializing.
I tried uninstalling via the control panel and re-installing but no go.
With no firewall at all, the laptop starts quickly and runs perfectly with no internet access problems or anything else.
This problem is similar but not exactly the same as others here. Some suggest that installing ZA free V7 may work on the laptop, but would like opinions from here before I spend any more valuable time on it.
I will think twice about accepting any ZA free upgrades on the desktop too.
I am using AVG free antivirus on both PC's and I am NOT in the market for buying ZA's paid version, so please don't suggest that as a solution, thanks.
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)