Thread: security suite 8.0.059.000 - anti-virus off WON'T TURN ON

sanfrandiver Guest

Default security suite 8.0.059.000 - anti-virus off WON'T TURN ON

Just upgraded from ZAP to ISS basically so I could Dump McAfee Security Center / VirusScan.

So when I installed ZA Internet Security Suite 8.0.059.000 everything seemed to install correctly except that

1) In the ZASS Overview>Main window it say that Anti-Virus isn't properly set; the "Fix-It" button doesn't seem to fix it so...

2) go to the Anti-virus/spyware>Main window and (a) Message reads "Anti-virus OFF" in red, (b) Anti-virus ON/OFF buttons grayed out

3) go to the Anti-virus/spyware>Main window and "click here to update now and re-activate scanning" opens another window that says "anti-virus up to date" but when I close that window, Anti-Virus is still OFF and ON/OFF buttons remain grayed out, so

it seems I don't have anti-virus protection which is why I upgraded to ZASS in the first place.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: security suite 8.0.059.000 - anti-virus off WON'T TURN ON

Tips: For first time users of ZoneAlarm - [*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - click here > http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed (trial)
    security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product.
    Use any special "Removal Tool" if available.[ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installed
    security software > please be sure to cancel your account][*]

Run the McAfee
    Removal Tool - you may want to run it twice.
    ( If there were McAfee still left on pc - it will prevent any new anti-virus from installing properly) <hr>Now try this...[*]

Try resetting your database.[*]

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot <hr><hr>If this didn't work, you will have to un-install the corrupted ZA install and re-install ZA Suite. Keep your license key handy.<hr>Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool:Click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Save to desktop, right click and &quot;run as administrator&quot;
    This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. <hr>For re-install instructions, tips and guidelines - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>[*]Please post back all security software - especially PCTools ThreatFire, Webroot, SpywareDoctor, etc. <hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool'
    or if not available use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. You can add/ use a 'hardware firewall' including a Wired Router, Wireless Router or Broadband Gateway with your ZoneAlarm firewall.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool'
    or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.[*]Caution if you use any of the new hybrid &quot;Anti-spyware with Anti-virus software&quot; - like Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware or PCTools SpywareDoctor with Integrated AntiVirus, or SunbeltSoftware CounterSpy with VIPRE, PCTools ThreatFire, etc. = the anti-virus portion may cause conflict with your main AntiVirus software.[*]<ul>[/list][/list]

pslumbert Guest

Default Re: security suite 8.0.059.000 - anti-virus off WON'T TURN ON

This is good advice even for those of us who have been using ZA for awhile.
    Case-in-point: Some months back, I decided to try adding ThreatFire to my Security arsenal because of it's touted Behavior-Based protection. A FAQ on the website stated that the product &quot;can be used&quot; with other AV products and... even firewalls. It installed wonderfully and I thought all was well until several days had passed and I found out, quite by surprise actually, that my ZASS firewall and AV had been disabled (likely by ThreatFire). I opted to uninstall ThreatFire and stick with the product I knew better (although it would be great if the two could work together!).

Just my $.02

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Caution ThreatFire troubles anti-virus

We do have at least one confirmed case where PCTools ThreatFire did interfere with ZA Suite (Kaspersky anti-virus). The user discovered haphazardly that after un-installing ThreatFire his ZA anti-virus worked/ updated normally.<hr>Many users are not aware that ThreatFire does contain an anti-virus( free and paid versions) and this does constitute as an anti-virus that can conflict with your main anti-virus.

pslumbert Guest

Default Re: Caution ThreatFire troubles anti-virus

Wanted to add this for those of you who may still be considering installing and running ThreatFire along with your ZASS, the ThreatFire FAQ can be misleading: http://www.threatfire.com/faqs/

Don't believe (as I did) everything that is stated in the ThreatFire FAQ, particularly in the paragraph (below bullet #8), where it is claimed that &quot;...ThreatFire is the perfect complement to your existing antivirus, and will protect you between antivirus updates&quot;. (huh?!?) And...&quot;It is fully compatible with most traditional antivirus programs, and can run side-by-side with these programs without conflict.&quot; (wha??...Uh, that's a big, fat no...because it just isn't so...wasn't for me, anyway)

As NaiveMelody (really and truly) stated elsewhere in this thread, ONE, and ONLY ONE AV should be installed and running at one time.

(The same is not, by the way, necessarily true of all Anti-Spyware(AS)software. And, although some may not agree, many in the security community believe users should alternately use several different AS products to scan their systems (though not at the same time) since it has generally been found that no one AS product is effective against most spyware. The best defense is still defense in-depth, and the first, most important part of that defense is in keeping your computers patched (with both OS and application updates/reboot when required) and, in whatever AV product you are using, in KEEPING THE AV UP-TO-DATE and at least periodically checking to be sure your AV product is actually scanning (completely) your system as it should.

Thread Information