Thread: Cannot resize control center after upgrade to Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000 (free)

richwnj Guest

Default Cannot resize control center after upgrade to Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000 (free)

After my upgrade to Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000, the control center is locked to the size it had when I last shut down the PC while using the prior release, 770 x 119 pixels. When I hover over the edges, the cursor does not change to a resize cursor, nor does it change when I hover over the lower right corner. When I right-click the application icon (the Z logo in the upper left corner) and select size, the cursor changes to a four-way arrow, which changes to a 2-way arrow (horizontal, vertical or diagonal, depending on context) when I hover over a vertical edge, horizontal edge, or corner. When the cursor is in the 2-way arrow state, clicking does almost nothing. The only exception is when I am over the lower edge, I can briefly reduce (but not increase) the height of the window, but even then it springs back to its prior size. At its current size, the window is useless, it displays no usable controls or clickable keywords.

How do I resize the window to a useful size.

I first asked this question on 12/6/2008, and now a month and a half later, I have had no replies. It hasn't harmed me until today. I think I have a program blocked that should be unblocked, but I can't get the control center open large enough to check or change the status of this program. Please help!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Cannot resize control center after upgrade to Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000 (free)

Want to try an un-install - reinstall of ZA Free...<hr>Let's get-er done. Un-install the current ZA with a simple Removal Tool and install.<hr>A) Just prior to new downloading attempt, on your current/ old
    ZA
    &gt; go to &quot;Overview&quot; &gt; Preferences &gt; General - &quot;uncheck the box for&quot; = 'Load ZoneAlarm at startup' &gt; click once, wait - it may take a few
    seconds for it to register, but it will clear the box.[*]
    Please restart/ reboot. &lt; [ this is an important item that will help reduce true vector issues - you may want to remember this point whenever you upgrade ZA ]<hr>

B) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool:Click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Save to desktop, right click and &quot;run as administrator&quot;
    This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. <hr>C) Now install ZA Free
    - Click here &gt;

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...firewall_b.jsp
    - from ZA website - click on left, you will see the same 261 kb - save to desktop and then install when ready/ prepared.

Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    - follow tips and guidelines.[*]

If you wish you may post back your pc set-up, where we might find software that may have conflicted with your original install. List security software - av, as, monitors, back-ups, etc. Have you increased the level beyond the 'defualt' in browser - which 'may' have interfered with proper install? Better to use IE7 to install than others.[*]

<hr>Remember with new 8.0 series the GUI is new: no 4 program box, no stop internet activity
    button in GUI &gt; but it is in the ZA right click tray icon, no traffic meter in GUI &gt; just in the ZA tray icon as before.<hr>Other options:[*]

Click here for ZA tech support &gt; https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp[*]Click here for on-line Live Chat Customer Service &gt; Customer Service Live Chat

Click here &gt; <a href="http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-28464961/cmd/kbresource/front_page!PAGETYPE" target="_blank">Support
    Center
    Knowledge
    Base
    </a>

<ul>[/list][/list]

DivBy0 Guest

Default Re: Cannot resize control center after upgrade to Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000 (free)

This has been driving me nuts for some time (months, maybe a year even) on my XP box. One account/login does not have this problem, but another does, and both are running as admin.

To clarify the problem: the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite Main Window a.k.a. Control Center only displays the the title bar, the blue band below the title bar, and just a fraction of the UI below that, not even enough to select the top menu item at the left. Although the resize arrows are available when right-clicking the running app in the task bar and selecting "Resize", resizing is impossible (does nothing). Mazimize is grayed out. The application is inaccessible. this has been a problem throughout several upgrades, but for sure in 8.x and 9.x, all the way through 9.1.008.000.

I finally decided to export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs hive in both accounts, restarted Windows in Safe Mode (I also disabled ZA at start-up, just to be sure), and merged the "good" .reg file in the "bad" account. Restarted, and everything worked again.

If you don't have a "good" account, maybe you can export the above on another computer. I don't know if it's OK to do so, but I could perhaps post it here. I did run a diff on both files using WinMerge, and there are definite differences, and in the "bad" file, entire sections such as [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\Columns] are missing.

Anyway, problem solved, and I'm happy

Last edited by DivBy0; November 24th, 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added system specifics

Thread Information