Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Toshiba Laptop - Want to Install ZA

neils Guest

Default New Toshiba Laptop - Want to Install ZA

Hello All,

I got a Toshiba L355-S7817 for XMAS. It came with all of the usual Toshiba bloatware including Norton 360. I remember there was a problem removing Norton 360 and getting ZA Internet Security Suite to actually run. I did a search on Toshiba and found some posts from 9/08 but never found a solution to getting this resolved.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get ZA successfully installed on a Toshiba with all this bloatware and what steps to take to ensure success with a minimum amount of heartache? If so, what version should I run?

If this is not doable, are there any other Security Suite options other than Norton?

Thanks...

Neil

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: New Toshiba Laptop - Want to Install ZA

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Neils wrote:
    Hello All,

I got a Toshiba L355-S7817 for XMAS. It came with all of the usual Toshiba bloatware including Norton 360. I remember there was a problem removing Norton 360 and getting ZA Internet Security Suite to actually run. I did a search on Toshiba and found some posts from 9/08 but never found a solution to getting this resolved.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get ZA successfully installed on a Toshiba with all this bloatware and what steps to take to ensure success with a minimum amount of heartache? If so, what version should I run?

If this is not doable, are there any other Security Suite options other than Norton?

Thanks...

Neil

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is just my 2 cents worth,If your having problem installing ZA Anti-Virus or ZA Security Suite and have ever uninstalleda previous installation of Norton Systemworks or Norton AntiVirus, or Norton Security Suite 2008/2009 or many McAfee Toolswhen you use ADD/Remove to Remove any of Symantec Norton utilities, especially their Norton Anti-Virus program, they still leave lots of traces behind after the "UNINSTALL"Fortunately SYMANTEC has a Fix for this problem on the Symantec web site called "NORTON REMOVAL TOOL" that does a better job of REMOVING ALL traces of Norton Symantec files..here is the Link to the Symantec Norton Removal Tool..http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hmHere is the Link to the McAfee Removal Tool..http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consume...ool_d5420.html<H5>Affected Operating Systems: </H5><UL><LI>Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Home <LI>Microsoft Windows Vista </LI>[/list]

NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.******** Important Notice ******** http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gifIfyou have already installedAny Version of ZoneAlarm, there are several things you need to do, after you have removed all traces of Norton and Symantec with the (Norton Removal Tool) , before you install your New ZAFree 8.0.065.000, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite 8.0.059.000or ZoneAlarm Free 7.1.254.000 for Vista or 8.0.059.000 for Paid version of Vista.************************************************** ************1.) I recommend downloading a FREETrash cleaner called ccleaner.exe from www.ccleaner.com and install it and run it with the default setting
    to clean out all junk from your Cashe, Temp Files and Recycle bin, even a good Registry cleaner.. Here is an alternate Site for a Slim version of ccleaner without the Yahoo Tool-bar.. http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...bar_d4191.html******** Important Notice ******** http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gif2.) Now go into ZA Menu by double clicking on the ZA Tray icon and click on Overview, click on Preferences
    and Uncheck "Load ZA**** on Startup", then Reboot your computer.. this will remove TrueVector,vsmon.exe and other ZA drivers from memory, so that they will not conflict with the install of the New ZAFree, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite, and also the major reason for TrueVector Errors on new installs..The other major cause of Install failure and True Vector errors is Conflict with 3rd party Security programs running during ZA install, like Webroot Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, Bit Defender Conflicts because it has many of the features of ZASS..Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA..3.) As a General Rule to avoid Conflict you should Only run one Firewall and one Anti-Virus on the same computer..
    You can run Multiple Anti-Spyware programs, as long as the Anti-Spyware does not include some firewall or Anti-Virus Function to Conflict with ZA..as far as the WindowsXP firewall, ZA by default on install will turn OFF the Windows one way Firewall..Don't worry if Windows Security Center pops up a warning that it does not recognize ZA Firewall..
    There is a fix for that Cosmetic flaw in windows..4.)
    Click on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the "Program" tab
    That will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..Look down the list for.. (the Program that your having a problem with)
    in the "Trusted Level"
    Column of ( Your Program ) LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that Column
    The next Column is "ACCESS" Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for "Trusted" and "Internet" access
    Change all other Marks on that Line to "?" Question Marks for Ask..Now you should not have anymore problem with (Your Program)Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft wand Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..
    b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) Also Grant this Trusted Server Rights
    c.) IE Crash Detection
    d.) Internet Explorer or FireFox
    e.) Malicious Software Removal Tool
    f.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)
    g.) Zone Alarm Client
    h.) Zone Alarm Updating Client
    i.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    To get out of the ZA Menu Display Look at the TOP far Right corner there is a Small X, click on that X to turn OFF the ZA Menu..
    and you all set to Go..5.) One more thing while I got your attention.. If you have trouble access Web-sites) Access to web Sites is controled by the ZA PRIVACY Site-List in the ZA Security SuiteOn the ZA Security SuiteMenu near the Bottom Left..
    is the Privacy Option that controls The "Site List"
    of places that you have visited with MS IE or FireFox..
    If you have a problem accessing a Web Site, it may be because the Listing for that web Site is Listed in the
    Privacy (Site List) and is trying to protect you from yourself..
    If you need to gain more Access to that Web Site this is one place were you Look..
    ---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:976839015
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5205
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.059.000

Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5205
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

neils Guest

So if I follow the steps below, can I get ZA to work on the laptop? Previous posts left me wondering if anyone was successful?

Thanks...

Neil

neils Guest

Can anyone help me out?

Can anyone help me out?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm sorry that my advice was too complicated for you to follow?as a Za Security Suite user you can contact ZA Tech Support Directly Free of charge..If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    ZA Tech support always answer, if you do not get an answer it means that ISP or your E-mail system has junked the response,Check your Junkmail folder.Use Internet Explorer to submit thefull details of your problem and a free e-mail like hotmail or gmail as contact address if you do not get an Auto-generated confirmation email ..You should receive an automatic confirmation response by ZA after 5-20 minutes with your ticket number.If you have not received it then your ISP has junked or Bounced it back to Zonealarm...ZA technical support can be reached here:ZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    Good Luck, the more Details that you prvide Tech Support, the Better Solution you will receive..
    GeorgeV

Can anyone help me out?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here is my two cents worth..1.) I use the Free Superantispyware with ZASS with no problem..2.) When you start doubling up Security Features from different products.. You risk lowering your Protection, instead of adding to it.., because competing features may conflict or fight each other and you end up with less protection..3.) Please note that ZASS does not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS issues remove them and install back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threatfire, otherantivirus, antispyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...4.) Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR> Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time.

GeorgeV

neils Guest

Default Help!

George,

I am trying to figure out if it is worth trying to remove Norton 360 and install ZASS on this new Toshiba Laptop. Again, from the posts I have reviewed I did not find anyone who was successful getting ZASS to run once they removed Norton.

Has anyone had success removing Norton 360 from a Toshiba laptop and getting ZASS to run after?

Thanks...

Neil

Default Re: Help!

Given your Reluctance to Change your security setup..I recomend that your Stay with the Security Programs that came with your Laptop..As long as you make sure your keep Norton Updated, andinstall all of the available Windows Updates for Windows, your computer should be safeIf you read my first Message,26,500 ZA Usersof ZASS have been successful installing ZASS ofter following that Advice....http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154Just Remember..2.) When you start doubling up Security Features from different products.. You risk lowering your Protection, instead of adding to it.., because competing features may conflict or fight each other and you end up with less protection..-----------------------------ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:976984975
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5225
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    GeorgeV

neils Guest

Default Thanks....

George,

I followed your instructions to remove Nortons 360 and install ZASS and it worked. Thank you so much for making this relatively pain free and successful.

Now two more questions; I have one machine running XP SP3 and ZASS 7.0.483 and now the new laptop is running 7.1.245. What is your opinion of upgrading each to version 8.0.x? The reason I ask is I had to back out of my upgrade to 8.0.x last year on my XP machine due to so many bugs.

From forum posts, it seems that 8.0 still has some issues unresolved. Please advise.

Thanks...

Neil

Default Re: Thanks....

George,

I followed your instructions to remove Nortons 360 and install ZASS and it worked. Thank you so much for making this relatively pain free and successful.

Now two more questions; I have one machine running XP SP3 and ZASS 7.0.483 and now the new laptop is running 7.1.245. What is your opinion of upgrading each to version 8.0.x? The reason I ask is I had to back out of my upgrade to 8.0.x last year on my XP machine due to so many bugs.

From forum posts, it seems that 8.0 still has some issues unresolved. Please advise.

Thanks...

Neil
    <HR>Thank you for yopur Feedback..1.) If Your Current Versions of ZoneAlarm are working Good for you now,I would not Upgrade to 8.0.059.000.. It would be better for you to wait until the next Release that is being BETA Tested now with 2.) No Release date yet but Soon..</BLOCKQUOTE>
    GeorgeV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information