Thread: XP Control Panel does not respond on RAID-1 Installation with ZA Security Suite 8.0.59

solros Guest

Default XP Control Panel does not respond on RAID-1 Installation with ZA Security Suite 8.0.59

Environment:New Dell Vostro 420,
    Core 2 Duo
    3 GHZ, 3 GB RAM, with Intel Matrix Storage controller configure for RAID-1.XP SP3 with all current patches.
    When I click on Control Panel, Windows Explorer locks up for about 1minute, before Control Panel appears. I can access all functions in Control panel. But when I return to Control Panel. Windows Explorer lock up again for about 1 minute.
    If I shut down ZA Suite, the problem goes away.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled ZA Suit 8.0.059, with no chnage in the behavior.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: XP Control Panel does not respond on RAID-1 Installation with ZA Security Suite 8.0.59

Uninstalling and re-installing does not always work - often the original database files are still left behind only to be reused by the newer install, thus continuing the original problem.
    Often a reset of the ZA's database will delete these older files and start the ZA off fresh once more. To reset do this:
    [*] Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together[*] Right click on the ZA icon near your clock[*] Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up[*] Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box[*] When prompted, choose OK to restart your system [*] Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Now see how things go.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

solros Guest

Default Re: XP Control Panel does not respond on RAID-1 Installation with ZA Security Suite 8.0.59

I downloaded the ZA Cleanup utility before I reinstalled.
    The ZA folder in system32 was removed as well as Internet Logs.Does that accomplish the same thing as the Reset?
    Sol

<blockquote><hr>solros wrote:
    I downloaded the ZA Cleanup utility before I reinstalled.
    The ZA folder in system32 was removed as well as Internet Logs.Does that accomplish the same thing as the Reset?
    Sol
    <hr></blockquote>
    Yes that does the same job.
    Still got troubles?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

solros Guest

Yes. I gave up trying to solve the problem.

It's not just the Control Panel. Windows Desktop Explorer does not respond during the 1 minute that Control Panel is waiting to refresh on the screen. After it appears, everything works with normal response time, except if I hit a Back Button on the tool bar, and it wants to go to the Control Panel window, then the same thing happens. It takes a minute for the machine to respond.
    Let me know if you have any ideas.I have been in the software development business for 30 yrs now, having started on a Radio Shack TRS-80 with 64K of RAM.I am an expert on Windows Desktop, and provide support for small business networks.
    I think ZA Suite is the best product out there, considering its small foot print in RAM, and logical and easy to use interface.
    Sol

Okay got the background - thanks.
    You did the usual disk check and defrag and system file check?
    Possible that the hdd or ram card is failing?
    Got other third party security installed along side of the ZA?
    Does this happen in all of the user accounts or in just one specific account?

Basically a fresh install or a database reset should have the ZA's Program contrrol slider set at the medium level (not high) to allow training of the ZA.
    If it is not at the medium level then set it to medium.

Also open the Options (right click the explorer.exe in the Program list) and check the first two items and apply and ok. This should give more rights to the explorer.exe .
    The window's control panel may show as a .cpl on the ZA's Components list - make sure this is allowed.
    The mmc.exe and a few other files associated with the control panel and admin tools and manage all should be listed in the ZA - do the same for these as for the explorer.exe in the Options.

Open the ZA | Programs | Main | Custom | OSFirewall and set all to the default Ask - maybe the ZA is blocking something.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information