I have wiped my hard drive and reloaded Windows XP Home SP3 to clear accumulated rubbish and have reloaded ZA Pro.
This seems to work fine and ZA carries out it's check of the loaded programs.
However, when I then restart my PC as requested, I get a dialog box pop up which states "res://C:\Program Files\ZoneLabs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe/23/277 An attempt has been made to operate on an impersonation token by a thread that is not currently impersonating a client"
This has not appeared on previous installations.
If I ok the message the system appears to work, but with the following problems -
Not all sites I visit are added automatically to the Site List on the Privacy tab.
If I have the Privacy Adviser pop up in use, and click on the option to adjust settings I am taken to the site list.
I have always presumed that the page in question is the one highlighted, and in the past the
site name has matched the url, but currently with the few sites displayed this is not happening.
For example, when I go to www.ancestry.co.uk. the site highlighted is my broadband monitor from www.thinkbroadband.com.
I often still get the same popup when the Site list shows a full line of green ticks.
If I select the Program Control tab, no item is shown as Active, and the Components window is completely blank.
Although I have tried a clean uninstall of ZA using the /clean switch, this does not help.
On my first instal of ZA after the reload of XP I was puzzled to see that my License number was already shown, and when I started to work with ZA, I got Program alerts saying, for example, Internet Explorer wants to connect to the internet which was fair enough, but it also said that it had asked for permission before - yet this was the first time since the reformat IE had run!
Does the above suggest an infection/corruption of some sort - and can it be cured without a full restore of Windows?
I have run Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG antivirus in both normal and safe mode and have Windows Defender in place.
None of these have shown anything other than the usual tracking cookies.
In the OSFirewall log, I have what seems to be a large number of blocked File Writes - should these be blocked?
e.g.

Alert property Alert property value Technical explanation Program Name Windows Explorer A program running on your computer, which attempted an action that it is not currently permitted to perform. Filename C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe The filename of the program that ZoneAlarm Pro found on your computer. Program Size 1033728 The size of the program executable file in bytes. Program MD5 12896823fb95bfb3dc9b46bcaedc9923 The MD5 hash, or number, that uniquely identifies the executable. Smart Checksum f04f257087aa63a5306c50018f272b44 The SKIMP hash, or number, that uniquely identifies the executable. Date Modified Apr-14-2008 12:12:20 AM The date when C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe was most recently modified. Event Type File The event involved writing to or deletion of a file. Sub Event Type FileWrite Windows Explorer attempted to write to a file. File Pathname WINSYSDIR\ZoneLabs* Fully qualified name of the file being written to.
Or
Alert property Alert property value Technical explanation Program Name AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part A program running on your computer, which attempted an action that it is not currently permitted to perform. Filename C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe The filename of the program that ZoneAlarm Pro found on your computer. Program Size 687896 The size of the program executable file in bytes. Program MD5 f1391e9b019e8670ea9438af56e1a2f6 The MD5 hash, or number, that uniquely identifies the executable. Smart Checksum 405ab7b63049912034250cdc54f4bcc6 The SKIMP hash, or number, that uniquely identifies the executable. Date Modified Jan-28-2009 01:27:22 PM The date when C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe was most recently modified. Event Type File The event involved writing to or deletion of a file. Sub Event Type FileWrite AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part attempted to write to a file. File Pathname ZLDIR\zonealarm.exe

Fully qualified name of the file being written to.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Russell

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Software Version:8.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro