Thread: Vista + ZoneAlarm + Firefox 3.06 (stops responding, reboot required to continue)

boatnews Guest

Default Vista + ZoneAlarm + Firefox 3.06 (stops responding, reboot required to continue)

As of the latest ZoneAlarm Free update 8.0.065.000 and Firefox 3.06 running on Vista Business 32-bit SP1 OS I'm experiencing a bug that seems to be reported by a number of people at

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=470849#c5

Every 30 minutes or so Firefox stops loading anything and hangs. If you close Firefox and try to open a new Firefox it reports that it cannot because Firefox is already running. If you try and end the firefox process from task manager, nothing happens.

In the mozilla bug report it's stated by a few people that:

An application running in the userspace (like Firefox) can not access the
    hardware directly or crash something running in the kernelmode and that means
    that a userspace application can not crash the OS.

Something running in the kernelmode can access the hardware and can crash the
    whole os. Examples: the OS kernel itself, all hardware drivers like the graphic
    card drivers and a firewall driver.
    A firewall driver must be a kernel mode driver because it would be stupid if an
    attacking userspace application would be able to simple stop the driver.

In this case the Firewall kernel mode driver hangs the firefox process and such
    a kernel mode driver can of not be killed with the taskmanager. That it hangs
    is always the fault of the kernelmode code (firewall driver).
    and

It seems that this mostly happens on Vista. Vista got a new TCP/IP stack and
    it's possible that the ZA driver which is injected in the middle of the windows
    TCP/IP stack have some compatibility issues. This seems to be only triggered
    with Firefox but the driver itself hangs. That is the reason why you can't kill
    the Firefox.exe process because the driver runs on a higher level in the
    Operating system (kernel mode).
    Every application like Firefox must/can be only compatible with Windows and any
    incompatibility issues introduced by Firewall drivers are their fault.
    I've uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled both zonalarm and firefox.

Is there anything I can do?

Does the pro version of zone alarm suffer this same issue as the free version?

Should I try to find and go back to a previous version of zonealarm?

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by boatnews on 02-22-2009 09:12 PM

Message Edited by boatnews on 02-22-2009 09:12 PM

Message Edited by boatnews on 02-22-2009 09:13 PM

boatnews Guest

Default Re: Vista + ZoneAlarm + Firefox 3.06 (stops responding, reboot required to continue)

Unable to find another solution after 5 hours of working on it, for now I have uninstalled 8.0.065 and reverted back (reinstalled) 7.1.248

So far so good - the problem has not reoccurred for the past hour.

rcain Guest

Default Re: Vista + ZoneAlarm + Firefox 3.06 (stops responding, reboot required to continue)

hi

i have exactly this problem using firefox 3.x and za 8.x. so does everyone i know.

seems it is referenced here on morzilla site as being 'with zonelabs to fix': https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=470849#c5

by the sound if it, zonelabs are still tussling with microsoft (vista, tcpip/threads). theres a now old sticky note at top of forum, retracting za v8.x, so far as i gather.

does anyone know, will this issue be sorted out with the next za release? when might that be?

(i really dont want to regress to za 7.x if i dont absolutely need to).

thanks for any info/update.

regards
    rob cain

Message Edited by rcain on 03-23-2009 10:33 AM

Message Edited by rcain on 03-23-2009 10:38 AM

fng Guest

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

Where did you get the old version of zone alarm free firewall from?

ta

FNG

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

My apologies!
    I cannot say - I do not work for or represent Zonelabs or Checkpoint, thus no inside information is given to me personally.
    ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notread Monitor this Forum..
    You could contact Customer Support and express your opinion and ask and contact Technical Support for further advice on the use of the Zone Alarm.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...st_service.jsp

https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bklynrickel Guest

I have the exact same issue with Firefox 3.0.6 and Vista 32 bit.

bklynrickel Guest

Sorry. I meant version 3.0.8 for Firefox.

Thread Information