Thread: Corrupt ZASS preventing boot?

deprezznec Guest

Default Corrupt ZASS preventing boot?

Greetings all,

I have the latest ZAISS installed on my computer, and I had some crashes on it the other night caused by an SD card reader - the screen would freeze completely and I had to press reset to boot up again. I did this a few times and then gave up at the last crash and went to bed.

The next day I turned on the computer and it wouldn't boot normally into Windows (XP Home) - it would spend a few minutes on the spash screen with the scrolling bar and then either freeze or restart itself. Safe mode works absolutely fine though. I have tried disabling everything in my msconfig but still Windows will not boot normally.

Now, the only thing that I cannot disable completely is ZoneAlarm (it won't let me), so I am thinking this must be what is causing my problem, and that something must have gotten corrupted thanks to the crashes. In my device manager too the only item showing a problem is 'srescan' in 'Non-Plug and Play Drivers', which I believe is a component of ZAISS.

I am at a loss. Does anyone know how to either A) fix or reinstall this 'srescan' or B) actually completely disable or uninstall ZAISS from within safe mode so I can test a normal boot without it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,

Deprezznec

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

deprezznec Guest

Default SRESCAN

Just a little extra info on the problem: The properties section for srescan in the device manager reads:

'This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)'

Also, looking in the Zonelabs folder in System32, I have found the files srescan.sys and srescan.dll. Would it do any harm to either rename or move these files to see if it helps me boot into normal mode?

deprezznec Guest

Default Solved!

Well, I was just steeling myself for what I thought would be a gruelling period of uninstallations and reinstallations of Zone Alarm and perhaps even Windows itself, when I find that the 'ctrl-shift-right-click' method for resetting Zone Alarm actually fixed everything.

It's annoying that ZASS can't self-diagnose and suggest this seemingly simple course of action itself - being stuck with a non-bootable machine is scary stuff for a non-experts! - but I'm just glad to have everything back to normal now.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem searching these forums.

Thread Information