Thread: ZASS 80_298 causing LOTS of false security warnings

sleepyjohn Guest

Default ZASS 80_298 causing LOTS of false security warnings

... or at least I assume they're false. I did install a new program around the same time as ZASS 80_298. But I've updated my anti-spyware and anti-virus signatures, and run a scan (twice). Nothing was found.

Every time I start any program (notepad, firefox, anything), I get "this program may be trying to monitor or track keystrokes ...". I also get random "this program is trying to make x run each time the computer starts", "this program is trying to (do something) with the registry", etc. I'm also getting lots of advertising pop-ups all of a sudden.

If I do have a virus or spyware, why does my the scan report no problem?

Note that I still have the prior installation exe (80_059). Is it possible to fall back to the previous version simply by running this exe?

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZASS 80_298 causing LOTS of false security warnings

Hi!reset the settings and keep ZASS in learning mode (program control AUTO)... looks like upgrade did not go well and your settings are simply corrupted.1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sleepyjohn Guest

Thank you Zax.

I just noticed that Windows Automatic Updates have been turned off. There is no warning message in the tray. I went into control panel - security settings and saw this. I turn it back on, but find it is turned off again after I leave the screen and return. So I'm beginning to think I might have a virus and all those security warnings are legit.

I'll play around with this. I have multiple computers, so I can keep this possibly (probably?) infected one off the network. If I find I do have a virus that ZASS is not seeing, I'll create a new posting in the appropriate forum.

Regarding the program that might have installed the virus: before installation, I did scan it with ZASS. I'm pretty sure I was still running the previous ZASS version at that time. My anti-virus and anti-spyware files were definitely up-to-date.

Thanks again.

Hi!follow the procedure below to check for malware:http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

sleepyjohn Guest

Thank you Fax, malware removed. Question: my ZASS anti-virus setting is "ultra deep scan" and my anti-spyware setting is "quick scan". If I had anti-spyware set for "deep inspection scan", might the problem have been found when I scanned the EXE before installing?

I'm not complaining that ZASS didn't catch the problem. It's my fault for downloading from an unsafe source (lesson learned). I understand that no program is 100% perfect, and I remain happy with my choice of ZASS. Just wondering if the "deep inspection" anti-spyware scan would make a difference when scanning a single EXE.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>SleepyJohn wrote:
    If I had anti-spyware set for "deep inspection scan" might the problem have been found when I scanned the EXE before installing?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, spyware deep scan cannot be used for single files but only HD. It has also no effect on 'on-access' scanning not on the 'right click scan for virus'Antipyware scan via the right click is performed by Kaskpersky antivirus. ZA antispyware acts via OSfirewall, blocking know (to ZA)malware + cleaning the system when running a on-demand scan.I would reccomend to keep AS scan to default as well as the antivirus (set to normal). And only deep scan your system once in a while. Otherwise you will spend more time scanning than using the system
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>SleepyJohn wrote:
    I'm not complaining that ZASS didn't catch the problem. It's my fault for downloading from an unsafe source (lesson learned). I understand that no program is 100% perfect, and I remain happy with my choice of ZASS. Just wondering if the "deep inspection" anti-spyware scan would make a difference when scanning a single EXE.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Antispyware not, but antivirus yes. Kaspersky right click scan for virus also check for 'not a virus' type of infections. Something that is not done on access. Was yours a 'not-a-virus' kaspersky detection typical of fake antivirus or rouge tools? Then right click scan could have helped. Otherwise not.
    Hope this helps. Not sure I was really clear. To sum up you have actually two antispyware engine in ZA one by ZA itself and one by Kaspersky. I think you had a case of bad luck!
    Cheers,Fax

Thread Information