Thread: Instalation problem

dwbrink Guest

Default Instalation problem

I have been using ZA for (2) years with out a problem. I just purchased (1) more year and downloaded
    the latest version of the ZA Suite. Once the instalation was complete I got a warning that I needed to be
    a user with full access for ZA to install. My notebook has (2) user accounts and they both have full access. The lience was coppied and pasted and accepted with no problem. The old version does not work now and the antivirus is highlighted in red. "Fix it" does nothing.I then tried to uninstall ZA and start over.
    I am now getting
    "True vector" error and
    during instalation I am told I must use an account with full access. I am now out $39 and have no protection at all.I went to ZA site and filled out a help form and they e-mailed the would get back in a few days.Thanks for any help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Instalation problem

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dwbrink wrote:
    I have been using ZA for (2) years with out a problem. I just purchased (1) more year and downloaded the latest version of the ZA Suite. Once the instalation was complete I got a warning that I needed to be a user with full access for ZA to install. My notebook has (2) user accounts and they both have full access. The lience was coppied and pasted and accepted with no problem. The old version does not work now and the antivirus is highlighted in red. "Fix it" does nothing.I then tried to uninstall ZA and start over.I am now getting"True vector" error andduring instalation I am told I must use an account with full access. I am now out $39 and have no protection at all.I went to ZA site and filled out a help form and they e-mailed the would get back in a few days.Thanks for any help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P class=entry>If Yourgetting an error that saysyou need Admin rights.<DIV class=faqanswer><P class=faqanswer>

There are various reasons why you have recieved this message:<UL><LI>The user account does not have appropriate rights <LI>Another security program is protecting the registry (some antivirus, anti-Trojan, or anti-spyware does this) <LI>A failed upgrade or installation left a registry key with incorrect settings </LI>[/list]

To fix this issue:
    1. <LI>Always use an account with Administrative rights when installing software. <LI>Disable any security programs that monitor changes to your registry while upgrading or installing. <LI>Verify permissions on a registry key using the following steps:
      1. <LI>If you still have ZoneAlarm on your system, go to Overview / Preferences, UNcheck the box to Load At Startup, and reboot. After this there should be no ZA processes running and no ZA icon in the System Tray. <LI>Navigate to Start / Run, type in REGEDT32 (Windows 2000) or REGEDIT (WinXP), and click OK. <LI>MAKE A BACKUP OF THE REGISTRY FIRST. Refer to the Windows Help documentation or Microsoft's support site for details. <LI>In the left hand pane, navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs <LI>Right-click on this key, and select Permissions. <LI>Verify that the Administrator group has Full Control and Read checked and all other boxes UNchecked. If you make any changes, click Apply before continuing. <LI>Now check the same for the SYSTEM account. <LI>Reboot. <LI>Run the ZA installation program.</LI>
      </LI>

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dwbrink Guest

Thank you GeorgeV for your quick response. I took a more passive approch and turned the notebook off for a day. This morning I repeated the install process with no problems at all. I am now covered for 369 more days. Your recommendations make complete sense. I was lucky that the computer cleared itself.
    David

Your Welcome..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information